Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-07-2012, 03:28 AM   #15

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1 View Post
My question is, if you can't do the work because of a disability, who does this kind of work? From what everyone on this site about RV Dealers, they are not to be trusted, and will do a poor job. So, who is left?
If you have the proper materials purchased, and you know the process and order, each job is to be done, you could literally be your own Contractor (like on your house) and Sub. things out to some day laborers, or a roofer who needs extra work, or even a roofing company who does flat roofs if they are interested, and submit a reasonable bid.

Honestly, what needs to be done to get a RV roof sealed up involves some labor of course, a small amount of home maintenance knowledge and basic tool skills i.e: Caulking a bathtub/shower, patching holes and painting walls. Most anyone could literally hire a neighbor kid looking for a job, and dole out the each task and corresponding supplies, as they need to be done. Supervise from a ladder or second story window maybe.

Not trying to oversimplify the process here, but trying to take the fear away of either tackling the job yourself, or if you don't want to or are unable, give you options so that you don't have to got to an RV "S"tealer.

StarfireGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2012, 09:43 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have no fear whatsoever of the job. If I put my mind to it I could fix or maintain everything. I never thought about a roofing contractor or roofer, that's a good suggestion.. I carry an oxygen pack with me at all times, and I have to stop twice just going up the ladder to get to the roof. That being said, even though the process and knowledge of the repair is relatively simple, physically it is impossible.

Thanks for the roofing suggestions about labor, I will look into that.

Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 12:40 PM   #17

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
I have no fear whatsoever of the job. If I put my mind to it I could fix or maintain everything. I never thought about a roofing contractor or roofer, that's a good suggestion.. I carry an oxygen pack with me at all times, and I have to stop twice just going up the ladder to get to the roof. That being said, even though the process and knowledge of the repair is relatively simple, physically it is impossible.

Thanks for the roofing suggestions about labor, I will look into that.
Without knowing exactly what ones disabilities were, I just gave some general suggestions.
oa
My biggest disability is that I suffer from adult ADD, and even with medication I have a difficult time keeping focused and on track with the task at hand instead of trying to work on several at the same time, and while staying busy, managing to get a bunch of nothing completed.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:53 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I feel your pain. I've had ADD my whole life, except when I was a kid, they didn't call it that. In the 50s and 60s you were a bad kid that didn't pay attention. Through the years I taught myself to stay on one task until it is complete. If I don't put my mind to it, I can work on 10 things at once and make a mess! You are not alone.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 03:08 AM   #19

Look at the thread"Dusty's rebuild".Dan had a RV dealer do his roof and it costs him thousands.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:50 PM   #20

Vintage RV Owners Club
Yep i did, But not on just the roof. I think it was about 5000 for a new roof and rubber membrane for that. I still like it over the metal roof i had. I also like walking on the roof without falling through it! Twice in the first 10 years i had the roof resealed and taped tight but it would still leak. It wasn't till after the whole roof was off did we see where it was leaking.
Anyway, I did cheat some. I could say that Deb did it but i will never hear the end of that statement......yeah that.....
Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:41 PM   #21

Vintage RV Owners Club
Almost finished with sealing roof!

Here is what the roof looks like as of this afternoon with the second coat of Kool-Seal. I put two (2) base coats of Uniflex elasticized primer prior to the top coat of Kool-Seal.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ElandanRoofCoat1.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	241.9 KB
ID:	24654  
Old 08-11-2012, 07:28 AM   #22

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarfireGuy View Post
Without knowing exactly what ones disabilities were, I just gave some general suggestions.
oa
My biggest disability is that I suffer from adult ADD, and even with medication I have a difficult time keeping focused and on track with the task at hand instead of trying to work on several at the same time, and while staying busy, managing to get a bunch of nothing completed.
Quote:
I feel your pain. I've had ADD my whole life, except when I was a kid, they didn't call it that. In the 50s and 60s you were a bad kid that didn't pay attention. Through the years I taught myself to stay on one task until it is complete. If I don't put my mind to it, I can work on 10 things at once and make a mess! You are not alone.
I SO know what you all are talking about. I didn't even get my ADD diagnosed until I was in my early 50s.
Old 08-11-2012, 09:29 PM   #23

Vintage RV Owners Club
Congrats, at least you got it diagnosed, albeit a few years past your childhood <grin>. I know just the diagnoses helped explain so much of my earlier and entire scholastic life, if only it had been diagnosed earlier. I never really had the H part, though it is the ONLY way its diagnosed now, which I find interesting. And the diagnoses opened up the world of ADD Meds and they have been a Godsend.
Old 08-12-2012, 05:44 AM   #24

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarfireGuy View Post
Congrats, at least you got it diagnosed, albeit a few years past your childhood <grin>. I know just the diagnoses helped explain so much of my earlier and entire scholastic life, if only it had been diagnosed earlier. I never really had the H part, though it is the ONLY way its diagnosed now, which I find interesting. And the diagnoses opened up the world of ADD Meds and they have been a Godsend.
Adult ADD often doesn't include the H because people with it often outgrow the H part somewhat. Even at 62, I have to make sure I have a book with me if there is ever a chance I'll have to hurry up and wait; otherwise, I would go nuts.

The reason H is usually included now is everyone with ADD has some degree of the hyperactivity. It may be manifested as just restlessness when having to sit for long periods (the length varying from person to person) all the way to bouncing off walls and other surfaces.

Getting the diagnosis explained all my scholastic and job performance issues in the past. A curious thing was my employer insisted on getting a second opinion from a so called expert on the subject. The "expert" never did ask about my school and work history (both very important in making a diagnosis). He also didn't account for the fact I had had fifty years to learn how to compensate for the ADD and almost decided I didn't have it until he put me on a series of repetitive computer tasks and saw how my performance would drop off quickly after starting each segment.

The funny thing is I majored in Psychology in college and ADD and ADHD wasn't well known back then, if at all; we never studied it.

Sadly, all the meds I've tried didn't do anything good for me (some of the side effects were lulus!). I function successfully by keeping my life simple (retirement has certainly helped with that) and using "crutches," such as computers, notes to myself, etc. Some simple tasks, such as sitting down and writing out checks for bills would fill me with so much dread, I was frequently late with them. The odd thing was after I finally would do it, I would marvel at how simple it was, then repeat the process the next month. I dealt with that by putting all my bills on autopay in a dedicated account for that purpose only. My paychecks were always auto deposit and I had auto transfers set up to ensure the bill paying account always had enough money in it. The only check I ever had to write was the rent/utility bill every month and I'm able to deal with that as long as I do so the moment I get it (having the computer print the check for me also helps). Annual bills I pay online as soon as I get them.

Tags
roof