Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-01-2012, 11:44 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Roof Primer & Adhesive Question

After finding several leaks this past winter I am tackling the roof now. Here are some pictures of the before and present with the caulk etc scraped off, but just half of roof cleaned when I took the last picture. The is/was butyl (good) and white caulk & clear silicone patch work everywhere is shouldn't be. The caulk and goobs of silicone at the separation of the front cap and roof obviously failed to seal the roof at some point, and now besides some interior issues, there is a 1" gap between cap and roof, and there is are at the rear that has lifted (circled in red), what adhesive should I use to get this back down so that I can prime and coat the roof?

I purchased the 5 gal. Kool-Seal roof top coat at Walmart and while there is primer that called Kool-Lastic, Walmart doesn't sell it, which makes little sense if their base coat primer is supposed to be used before their top coat.

Has KST stopped making this base coat, as I can only find it on Amazon and Ebay in the 1 gal can and it shows ACE Hardware sells the 5 gal, but they are out-of-stock.

So, my other question now is, in order to get the coating done since the roof is vulnerable, is if another primer can be used as a base coat and get a reasonable outcome? Something like Kilz etc

I see the the KST coatings owned by Sherwin Williams is the manufacturer of: Kool-Seal, Snow Roofing Systems and Uniflex. In Hot Springs AR, where I am now, has a Sherwin Williams, but they only have a 5 gal Uniflex base coat, and they are CLUELESS, and I mean CLUELESS, about the products or any other products I might use instead, saying they just started selling them, so here I am!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Elandan Roof frnt to RearText.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	449.6 KB
ID:	23138   Click image for larger version

Name:	Elandan Frnt Roof CapText.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	328.0 KB
ID:	23139  

Click image for larger version

Name:	HalfCleanedRoof2.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	429.1 KB
ID:	23140  

StarfireGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2012, 04:51 AM   #2

When I went to their paint stores,I found they didn't stock it,BUT could special order it and that I reinforced by giving the store a contact name and number for the customer service line at the manufacture.You Can get it within 5 to 7 days and it is worth the wait.When I find a product that really works and is backed up with either 5 or 10 yrs,I'm all in.If you have to,cover it with a tarp.

Old 07-02-2012, 09:45 AM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Thank you for your advise, it is ALWAYS appreciated!

They have the KST Uniflex base coat (assume it is the same or similar to Kool-Lastic) in-stock here in Hot Springs, but, it is only in the 5 gal container, and I am not sure I need that much.

That being said, do I put the Kool Seal / Eternabond tape down BEFORE I primer?

Thx
Old 07-02-2012, 05:17 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
You need to buy some Eternabond tape for that 1" gap between front cap and roof. Get at least a 4" wide, (6" might be better) roll of the paintable Webseal Eternabond. A 50' roll will give you plenty to seal front and rear caps, vents and miscellany.

You will need to have the tape wide enough to get on both sides of the old silicone you talk about (which is the only substance on the planet Eternabond will not stick to). Scrape, clean with acetone, lay the Eternabond tape and roll down HARD- this will last for years & years. Holes and edges you should seal with Dicor

The Snowseal/Kool Roof elastomeric type roof coatings should be the very LAST thing you put on- in and of themselves they will not seal or prevent leaks

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 07:51 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senior Chief View Post
You need to buy some Eternabond tape for that 1" gap between front cap and roof. Get at least a 4" wide, (6" might be better) roll of the paintable Webseal Eternabond. A 50' roll will give you plenty to seal front and rear caps, vents and miscellany.

You will need to have the tape wide enough to get on both sides of the old silicone you talk about (which is the only substance on the planet Eternabond will not stick to). Scrape, clean with acetone, lay the Eternabond tape and roll down HARD- this will last for years & years. Holes and edges you should seal with Dicor

The Snowseal/Kool Roof elastomeric type roof coatings should be the very LAST thing you put on- in and of themselves they will not seal or prevent leaks
Yepper.I agree with everything you said about the tape.The only process difference I have is Snow roof has a primer and once cleaned you should coat the tape twice with the primer in above 50 degree weather keeping the roof out of any rain.You let it dry each coat aleast 24 to 48 hrs.Same holds true for the roof coating.And don't skimp on stripping the damaged ceiling out.Those leaks travel a long ways from the source of the leak damaging alot of the ceiling in it's path.A wet ceiling underneath is asking for problems long term like mold,mildew,etc.
Old 07-03-2012, 12:10 PM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
wi
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleamarketer View Post
Yepper.I agree with everything you said about the tape.The only process difference I have is Snow roof has a primer and once cleaned you should coat the tape twice with the primer in above 50 degree weather keeping the roof out of any rain.You let it dry each coat aleast 24 to 48 hrs.Same holds true for the roof coating.And don't skimp on stripping the damaged ceiling out.Those leaks travel a long ways from the source of the leak damaging alot of the ceiling in it's path.A wet ceiling underneath is asking for problems long term like mold,mildew,etc.
Okay so here is what I have in supplies and have done so far:

Supplies Purchased*

50' x 6" Roll of Seal-Fast by Mulehide 10yr War etc (same as Enternabond)

12' x 3 " of Eternabond tape

2 tubes of Butyl

5 Gal Kool-Seal Top Coat

Tasks done:

I have removed all old caulk ANYTHING that was covering the center seam

Removed all caulk and silicone between front cap and front of roof.

Scrubbed and cleaned roof surfaced prepped seams with acetone.

* Based upon your recommendation Senior Chief, I ordered a 50' x 6" roll of WebSeal Eternabond that will be delivered by this Friday Jul. 6th.

I have not gotten the the base coat yet, and am debating purchasing the Elastometric Uniflex base coat made by KST, that is available now at Sherwin Williams, so I can get it done ASAP, or trying to find a place to order the Kool-Lastic from that could have it by this weekend, as I have to get back to Pittsburgh next week.

Just to clarify, I can start doing the center seam today, and the front Cap seam with WebSeal when it arrives, THEN, put down the base coat primer, THEN put down the Kool-Seal Top coat in that order?

Thanks again for you help & advice.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:25 AM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Use Dicor , C-10 or a good elastomeric caulk to seal any edges or spots where the tape will not work. Check screws and screwholes, especially where sidewall meets roof- you might be amazed at how many screws are missing or not biting any wood. Fill these screwholes with caulk.

Yes, TAPE first (this is why I recommended the WebSeal, since the paint/primer will adhere perfectly to it). It will not hurt the tape at all to wait for the top coat (well, maybe not wait a year- Web seal is not UV resistant)
Then PRIMER

Then 2 coats of the Kool Seal (or whatever) rolled different directions.

A couple cautions about Eternabond: put the roll of tape in the freezer before you start working with it. It handles better cold. Then do NOT stretch the tape as you lay it down (stretching is unfortunately easy to do in hot summer temps). Then use a wooden or metal roller or other device to roll the tape down very hard: this will break the micro-beads in the adhesive and allow the best adhesion.

Another thought: paint any opaque plastic that you don't plan to replace: i.e. AC shrouds, fridge vent, etc.
All plastic exposed to UV eventually becomes brittle and breaks- paint (any paint, spray or brush-on) will protect your plastic and gives it a few more years of life.

Sounds like you've got this all well prepared and thought out- its a job that every rig owner has had to do (unless you luck out and the PREVIOUS owner has just finished sealing the roof)

Good luck and a glorious Independence Day!

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 11:43 AM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
hanks for the advice, and I hope YOU have a great 4th as well.

The Webseal just arrived moments ago!

Here is something crazy that happened Tuesday!

I went to the local commercial division of Sherwin Williams (S/W) to get the elasticized primer marketed by KST under the Uniflex name. I had the the product name and number and asked to purchase the 5 gal they had. The clerk smirkingly asked where I was getting this information about what I needed and I said from the S/W website. He then asked what I was doing etc, and this 20 yr old (not that 20 yr old can't be knowledgeable) had NO clue why he was asking, and wouldn't know the first thing about this. When I told him that I really wanted Kool-Lastic, he said, "oh that discontinued product", I need to know what you going to put on top of it, I told him the kool-seal. to which he he replied: I will have to call Corporate to find out if you can use that base coat on that application and with the top coat. I said, that was not necessary, that I was okay with my research and it effectiveness for me, but he insisted on calling, and we waited for someone to answer his call for 15 minutes (seemed like an hour), the clerk briefed the guy on the other end, and after several minutes the person on the corporate side says on the speaker phone: Sorry, NONE of that is for a RV application, the customer will net to purchase the Snow Roof Product line. The store clerk repeats that to me, adding: "yeah, that old outdated stuff you have (purchased last week at walmart mindyou) wont work, you need Snow Roofing line (to which he wouldnt have a clue why) and we DON"T sell that here.

So, with eyes wide nearly speechless, I said, "so your saying you wont sell me the Primer?" is replied: "NO, I cant sell it to you because it wont work! I shook my head in amazement. and said, but it will work for what I need it for: He just said: "Sorry I wont sell it to you"

So now I still have no elastisized base coat as of this morning, gotta see if I can find some in Little Rock AR, I guess.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:26 PM   #9

I would call corporate office myself and pitch a b**ch!!!.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:41 PM   #10

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleamarketer View Post
I would call corporate office myself and pitch a b**ch!!!.
And probably eat crow if the clerk is right!
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:44 PM   #11

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarfireGuy View Post
The store clerk repeats that to me, adding: "yeah, that old outdated stuff you have (purchased last week at walmart mindyou) wont work, you need Snow Roofing line (to which he wouldnt have a clue why) and we DON"T sell that here.
It's not unknown for a company to buy old, outdated, or discontinued stock to sell. That's what's in a lot of the discount/closeout stores. Doesn't matter when a customer buy it.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:31 PM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
It's not unknown for a company to buy old, outdated, or discontinued stock to sell. That's what's in a lot of the discount/closeout stores. Doesn't matter when a customer buy it.
Yes, that is certainly true, and I have taken advantage of that before.

Unforutnately (of fortunately) this is NOT the case here. The 5 gal of Kool-Seal I have has a 2012 MFG/Delivery date on it, and in my effort to find the primer. I saw the Kool-Seal in 1 gal & 5 gal containers, at EVERY Walmart , and I was in Walmarts in 5 different states along my trip to Hot Springs, AR. Obviously, KST is producing it STILL, maybe they are no longer selling at their Sherwin Williams stores, in order to handle fulfilling Walmarts requirements, buy only only selling Kool-Seal via Walmart. I don't know only speculating, but I DO know most companies who sell to Walmart, can only manage to produce their product, or a specific item exclusively for Walmart, because their order demands are so high.

But, I did find a Sherwin Williams 30 miles away in Little Rock who sold me the Uniflex base coat $30 gal for 5 Gal container. NO QUESTIONS ASKED, just a cordial and helpful clerk, who thanked me for my business.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:35 PM   #13

Here is what I got.It's long and filled with a bunch of other stuff:

My roof repair
Old 07-06-2012, 09:08 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
My question is, if you can't do the work because of a disability, who does this kind of work? From what everyone on this site about RV Dealers, they are not to be trusted, and will do a poor job. So, who is left?

Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof