Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-14-2012, 01:58 PM   #1
TRD

Roof Question and Help/Advise

I recenly purchased a 1989 32' Sun Clipper by Gulf Stream. it's a P-30, 454 ci Chev. It sat under a shed, but 3 or 4 feet of the front and back was exposed. That part of the roof is showing signs of needed repair.

I want to re-surface the complete roof rather that a quick fix repair. I have read a little here on the various forums, but can't find a roof like mine (I don't think).

This one seems to have a cloth type cover or top surface roof. Some of this type material is starting to come loose in places. I have been all over the roof and cannot find any soft spot, so structurally it seems sound. No tell tell indications of leakage inside.

So with that all said. How do I start? Products? I assume I tear back all the lose material. If appears to be wood underneath.

BTW, new to RV and new to this site. I posted a request for manuals, but can't find where I posted it I hope I don't lose this post as well

Thanks

Terry

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2012, 02:14 PM   #2

My roof repair

Old 01-14-2012, 02:44 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Check out my blog, I used liquid rubber over a year ago and very happy with it.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 05:18 PM   #4
TRD

John, I have been reading about Liquid Rubber and that is probable the direction I am headed. However, I am hoping someone can give me some prep advise. Do I pull this cloth type material up? -- or do I just pull up the loose ends etc.

Thanks for the reply.

Terry
Old 01-14-2012, 06:38 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My roof membrane was worn thin, but not worn out so I only applied liquid roof to the existing surface. To prep you should only need to clean roof membrane and remove all old sealant around roof vent openings, end caps and edges. I did not remove roof outer moldings or roof caps, just coated right over them to get a good seal. After L.R. sets up go back and reseal roof caps and vents with Dicor sealant.

If you are saying the material is loose you may want to pull up the loose ends and re-glue them first with contact cement (Rubber cement) before applying the L.R.

Quote:
BTW, new to RV and new to this site. I posted a request for manuals, but can't find where I posted it I hope I don't lose this post as well
Probably the easiest way would be to click on your screen name in this thread and click on "Find more posts by TRD"

Hope this helps

Old 01-14-2012, 10:17 PM   #6
TRD

John, if I don't have any leaking around the A/C, vents etc, do I still remove all the old caulk?

Terry
Old 01-15-2012, 01:05 AM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I didn't remove my a/c units and it would be up to you if you want to remove old caulking around vents or not. It is not required to remove old caulking, only suggested.

Old 01-16-2012, 10:20 AM   #8
TRD

John, I am still trying to decide what to do pertaining to my situation. As I said earlier --- I have abt 3 ft. of the very front and abt the same of the rear, where this -- cloth like fabric is deterioted down to the wood. Would I want to remove it (the fabric) and put down something like EternaBond before painting the complete roof?

Thanks

Terry
Old 01-16-2012, 11:54 AM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Okay, now I understand.
Sounds like the liquid rubber is not the solution.
The material covering the roof should be EPDM sheeting
This will be a difficult job to replace. It involves removing all vents, a/c unit and all trim moldings and cap connection moldings. Not sure if this is something you would want to try yourself.

Old 01-16-2012, 05:43 PM   #10
TRD

John, it's omly the first 3 feet on each end. No vents etc on the front and only 1 vent on the back --- the remainder of the roof is OK-- well -- needs a new coating -- but other wise OK

Terry
Old 01-16-2012, 08:44 PM   #11

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I suppose you could look on the internet for EPDM sheets in the size you need, then glue it to roof and use eternabond tape on the seams. Then use the Liquid Rubber on the remainder of the roof... should work.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress

Old 01-22-2012, 02:12 PM   #12
TRD

John, I purchased all the roofing supplies. Waiting on dry warm weather. I will post my progress once I get started.

Terry
Old 01-22-2012, 09:50 PM   #13

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Good Luck

Old 02-02-2012, 10:05 PM   #14
TRD

John, a update on my roofing job. As I mentioned earlier, my repair is to about 3 feet of the front and 3 feet of the rear. The membrane is almost totally gone in these areas. After I started inspecting and removing the worst of the old membrane, I discovered some bad wood. It was confined to the surface laminate in each front corner. I peeled back the bad layer (discolored) of the laminated wood. What i was left with was about a feet square of wood that was missing 2 layers of laminate. I didn't want the new membrane to be uneven -- so I fiberglass the foot square piece and sanded it level. Before doing the fiberglass work, I checked to be sure the membrane would stick to fiberglass - which it will. -- Long story short. I now have the front part repaired and starting on the rear. Once the back is finished, I will paint (coat) all the roof.

Terry

Tags
roof