Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-08-2015, 12:20 PM   #1

Roof rack and ladder question

On my 78 dodge chassis George boy mfg motor home, There was a roof rack and ladder.

The roof rack and roof mount for the ladder caused a leak the the previous owner did not fix. I fixed the leaking after I removed the rack and ladder.

So the question is should I reinstall the roof rack and ladder on reinforced roof? Or just leave it off.

If I leave it off I my sell the rack and ladder to someone, just not sure what to do.

I would not use the rack so it's a toss up for me.

Any input would be appreachated.
skyisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2015, 01:49 PM   #2

I have had a variety of roof mounted racks and hold downs that I removed from my Bounder and never replaced. I would think that if you were planning to reuse the roof goodies you might reinstall or if like me....They proved useless...TRASH CAN. They are not fully needed. I carry a Little Giant like ladder in my basement storage. I got rid of my RV ladder to keep would be thieves off the roof where my solar panels are installed.
Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 05:39 PM   #3

I would at least put the ladder back on as better/easier way to get to roof A/C, antenna, vents and discover troubles at campsite, then you find you need a ladder. I wish my TT had a ladder over having to drag out the Little Giant from my shed when needed.

I would squirt the screw holes full of some good waterproof clear caulk before reinsertion of bolts.

As to the roof basket, I would keep and sell w/MH to next potential owner that MIGHT WANT the basket, because they're restoring the unit.

Remember, these things aren't getting any younger, and having the parts when needed is better, than needing the parts and not having them.
JaycoEagle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 10:10 PM   #4

Thanks for the input. I may just put it back on. I did find a sealed roof container for a car roof rack, so attaching that to the roof rack would add some function. as far as sealing, I feel that silicone is over used. I can't tell you how much loose silicone I peeled off so far while fixing things.
Old 05-08-2015, 10:26 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Silicone is next to useless, and its one of the few things that Eternabond won't stick to. I hate the stuff, and curse the previous owners who loved it.

For real waterproofing, use 3M 4200 or 5200 marine sealant.
HoneyBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 10:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyisme View Post
Thanks for the input. I may just put it back on. I did find a sealed roof container for a car roof rack, so attaching that to the roof rack would add some function. as far as sealing, I feel that silicone is over used. I can't tell you how much loose silicone I peeled off so far while fixing things.
When I said to use clear waterproof caulk, it wasn't meant to seal(only) the holes with it. You put caulk in screw holes before putting in the bolts and as bolts go in, it squeezes some out and that will help make a waterproof area behind the ladder's mount tabs and the skin of MH to keep out moistures from getting to the wood or weeping down the bolts into the wood. Now, if you can find something better, by all means use it. You want to seal up anything exposing the wood framework to any weather element, and a bolt is one way that will expose the wood to weather rot without you knowing it for years.
JaycoEagle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 11:51 PM   #7

Yep, that why metal roofs on homes are put on with bonded washer screws. To keep the moisture out with out products like Silicone. Now with that said silicone is different from rtv silicone. But you may have issues with other things sticking to it As well.

But we are off topic. I just wanted to know if it was worth reinstalling the rack and ladder or not.
Old 05-09-2015, 03:45 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you never use it, I would leave the roof rack off. The ladder should go back on so you can inspect the roof and clean it.

I would never use a roof rack, so I never look for them while shopping for a MH.
Old 05-09-2015, 04:29 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Dan Wong Send a message via Yahoo to Dan Wong
Quote:
..... I just wanted to know if it was worth reinstalling the rack and ladder or not.
FWIW, when I was looking around for MH, I look to have it, because I know sooner or later I need to climb that roof to fix one thing or another - it is a very good selling point - in my opinion. My recommendation is to reinstall it.
Dan Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 06:52 AM   #10

I don't use the ladder often, but use it enough to warrant dealing with any potential problems regarding it's install and maintenance - easily.

The rack? Most of those were more of a decoration than functional. Back in the days when they were popular, they ruined more roofs than most can imagine.

I keep a portable ladder as well. Fine for anything you can reach from the side. But, when it's necessary to reach the middle, or reaching from the side not practical, I am NOT going to jump from the ladder to the roof - for any reason.
Old 05-09-2015, 07:33 AM   #11

Quote:
So the question is should I reinstall the roof rack and ladder on reinforced roof? Or just leave it off.
Any input would be appreachated.
skyisme
Because a "mounted" ladder provides NO access to the upper side walls, (awning, marker lights, tops of windows, etc.), carrying a Little Giant ladder or a telescoping ladder makes more sense to me....(besides, IMO, a mounted ladder "uglies up" a coach).
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 10:31 AM   #12

Thanks, I like that opinion.
Old 05-09-2015, 10:41 PM   #13

I think I am going to replace latter and roof rack with nothing. I will buy a decent ladder like the one mentioned. I should have one anyhow.
Old 05-09-2015, 10:42 PM   #14

So... roof rack and ladder for sale...

Tags
roof