Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-11-2012, 05:16 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Roof Rack Removal?

I have been repairing quite a few roof leaks on my 89 Winnie Chieftain. I can see quite a potential for leaks around the mounts for the roof ladder and luggage rack assembly, so I am considering removing them completely and covering the mounting points with new metal and Eternabond tape. Have any of you removed your rack, and have you lived to regret it?
knugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2012, 07:09 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Heartland RV Club
with the old 82 Allegro, we used to just slatther up the kool-seal over the mounts and never had any trouble. I would think thats saffer than removal and band-aiding the old holes ...... Not sure tho, we are talking 1996 last time ever messed with a roof with a rack or a non full piece foof
F239141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:52 AM   #3

I got rid of mine along with the ladder and all thru-roof mounting points (and the sides as well). I probably eliminated 400 leak points. Patching is ok until you replace your roof. I did mine in fiberglass. It was a ton of work but if should never leak. If I get a hole, it's easy to fix.
PeterS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:11 AM   #4

If you've sealed the area and still have leaks, I think it's a pretty good plan? Unless your screw holes are stripped, not sure reinforcing/adding metal is even necessary. What you'll likely find is that at some point, somebody has done an improper repair, then tried to gob sealant on to fix/cover up the issue. Just me, but I'd reinstall the rack and ladder, or at least the ladder, as I use mine on occasion.

Taking it down to bare metal and starting over again is about the only way to deal with it. Properly done, the repair should be as good as new and last for many years if properly maintained. -Al
Old 12-15-2012, 03:54 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Roof Rack

Thanks for the input. I have leaks in other areas, but I am not sure if the rack mounts are involved or not. Each of them have been slathered with some sealant from hell so many times that I can't even see their bases, so I don't know if they are leaking. I am going to remove them as part of my repair scheme, but just don't know if I should eliminate them completely or not. It just seems that it would eleminate a lot of potential leak sites. I am new at Class A stuff, so I just don't know , reallistically how often I would ever need that rack, but at the same time, I wonder if there should have EVER been a rack there.
Old 12-15-2012, 05:25 PM   #6

Regarding the rack, I think it's a carry over from the station wagons of the day? I have never seen anyone carry much up there. Maybe a spare tire? Even if you had the need and were willing to go through the hassle of getting it up there and securing it?

Your call...
Old 12-15-2012, 05:50 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
ahicks, I think you've convinced me to just remove the thing. I don't see where I will ever need it. I may leave the ladder just for access.

Tags
removal, roof