Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2012, 10:40 PM   #1

Roof Vent Issue

1965 Kodiak 15.5' Camper Trailer

This has one crank up ceiling vent, which is not in great condition. The vent cover itself seems to be made of aluminum. What I wanted to do is remove and replace the screen, and then replace the cover with a plastic unit that would serve dual purpose as a skylight.

However, after removing the internal flange/bezel, damn if I can figure out how to pop out the screen. It all seems to be one unit, and not serviceable. Of course, an option would be replacing the entire mechanism, which I would prefer not to do...

Does anyone have any hints on this?
jeffdubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2012, 05:52 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Can you post a picture that screen should come out
Old 07-26-2012, 09:20 AM   #3

I will post one or more pictures, not sure how well things will show up but I'll give it a shot.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:01 AM   #4

Photos. Sorry, not great, difficult to show much, except the screen is dirty. Interior trim has obviously been removed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	1.38 MB
ID:	24024   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo2.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	24025  

Old 07-26-2012, 12:10 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The screen is part of the ceiling benzel, or the part that is installed in the celilging.

You may be able to replace just the lid part. (See a good dealer) but if you have to replace the rest not that hard, But the screen comes out with the rest of it.
Old 07-26-2012, 01:38 PM   #6

That is the conclusion I came to as well, I will probably just end up replacing the entire thing, but not today.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:10 PM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
If you don't plan to replace the entire vent...

Be careful; there are a number of different hinge styles in vent lids and some of the old ones are obsolete. Before you remove the lid, study the hinge to make sure you can get a replacement. The 3 styles below are what are available in new replacements.

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:15 PM   #8

At this point, it's all or nothing.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:20 PM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
As the previous poster said, its not a difficult job- just tedious. We replaced all our vents and the worst part was scraping away the rock-hard old sealer to expose the screw heads

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 09:59 AM   #10

My point is that to replace the screen (if it is even possible) I have to remove the entire unit. Since I have to remove it, I'll just replace it. It's not a job I am looking forward to by any means.
Old 07-28-2012, 07:23 PM   #11

I just bit the bullet and replaced all 4 on mine. I used eternabond tape and did one each day. I drilled out the rivets
Old 07-28-2012, 07:27 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Grump
I just bit the bullet and replaced all 4 on mine. I used eternabond tape and did one each day. I drilled out the rivets
And replaced one each day. I used a 40 grit power palm sander to remove years of gunk to a relatively smooth surface. Then redivided the new vents and used the grey tape to seal them. You have to remove each lid to rivet the back of the vent and then reattach the lids. Each time I did it I found easier and easier shortcuts. First one took 6 hours, last one took 2 to 3 hours working at a pretty slow pace.

Tags
roof, vent