Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2018, 12:15 PM   #1

Rookie Generator Questions

My old Fleetwood had the generator pulled from it at some point. I would like to replace it so that I am not tied to an outlet. Do i need a special generator for a RV? How do I supply fuel to a generator that is tucked in the generator area? Here are a few pics from where it was. Thanks for any help you can provide.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5107.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	336.3 KB
ID:	220252   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5110.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	270.0 KB
ID:	220253  

Papparonzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2018, 12:34 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
It might be easier to see find out what was there originally. There should be some kind of fuel line in the area, either propane or diesel.

Looks like that switch and box needs replacing also.
Old 09-23-2018, 12:50 PM   #3

hey man....I've got an old Fleetwood as well. mine's a '97 Southwind Storm. I kinda wish someone woulda ripped out my generator before it got to me! It's a 5500 watt Onan, which is just good enough to prevent me from swapping it out for a bigger one. I've got plenty of crap that doesn't work to deal with before I start improvinf stuff that does.
But if I was in your position, I'd put me about a 7000 or 8000 watt job in there and be a lot happier.
As to your actual question, about needing a "special" generator.....I'd say no. Now, if you want to draw your generator's fuel from the main gas tank of your rig, which is what mine does, and I'm sure yours did originally as well, then you'll need to run a line (might still be there from when your generator was there) to the main RV tank that allows your generator to pump its fuel when ready. But that isn't by any means necessary, nor is it even desirable to me. There's no reason at all your generator's fuel system can't be entirely separate from the RV's. Put you some kind of roll-out floor in the storage compartment that's going to house your new generator. Meaning that when it comes time to refuel, repair, or simply stand and admire your new generator, all you'll have to do is open the bay door and slide it out towards you. After that, it'll just be standard electrical hook-up. I'm jealous of your new set-up already. This site has helped me a lot, and there are sopme very knowledgeable folks here. good luck man!!
rlfinch33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 08:52 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papparonzi View Post
My old Fleetwood had the generator pulled from it at some point. I would like to replace it so that I am not tied to an outlet. Do i need a special generator for a RV? How do I supply fuel to a generator that is tucked in the generator area? Here are a few pics from where it was. Thanks for any help you can provide.

You absolutely do NOT want to use the contractor style generators you get at Home Depot; far too noisy and no provision for an exhaust pipe.

You can either find a used RV gennie or pony up for a pair of Honda inverter gennies (you'll need to 2 to come up with the 6-7K you need to run both ACs)

The former generator in your rig was almost certainly gas; there should still be a metal gas line running from your main gas tank to the vicinity of the gen bay, probably pinched or capped off. The transfer switch and the cable to the battery which starts the gennie may need replacing as well.
HoneyBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 03:07 PM   #5

Fleetwoods generally came with Onan generators which are considered good. If you provide some info about your rig yr/model etc we can give you guestimate on what Onan came with your rig. You should be able to buy a used Onan that fits your rig.

Kevin
ksg5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 05:06 PM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
My 82 PA has the gas supplied by the rear tank (I Have 2)and the Gennie is set up to stop running when the tank gets below 1/4 tank. I would check the RV classified section, Motorhome Junk Yards. Or Google
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 07:28 AM   #7

It is a 1988 Fleetwood Tioga. Thanks for any help you can provide.
Papparonzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 09:36 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Although my Generac generator runs fine, we only use it when we are on the road and need the AC on. When we are parked, we use a smaller Honda inverter generator. I have it set up so it will pull the gas directly from the onboard gas tank.
The way I see it, you are in a perfect position to use the space to carry a portable inverter generator. The Hondas have a fuel pump, which allows it to draw gas from an outside source like the onboard tank. When you are not using the Motor Home, you will have an emergency backup for your house.

Tags
generator