Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-14-2013, 06:29 AM   #15

You can buy R12 can all day long on Craigslist.
The licence is $20 to take, and its an open book test... very easy to pass, then you can just go buy R12, no issues.
I keep reading that R12 is illegal... as far as I know its not, unless you release it into the air.
I have R134 conversions, and they rarely work as well as R12, so I stick to R12.
ES12 is a propane type of refridgerant, and works well, if not better than R12, but some people on another forum chewed me out about it because obviously, its flammable... Me personally, I have 80 gallons of gas, and 125lb of propane onboard... not stressing about a few more Ounces of gas!

I will be converting my vehicle back to R12...
Which is why I picked this up for $200...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2013, 06:51 AM   #16

I didn't know that about R12A but like I said ill check

Old 04-14-2013, 06:57 AM   #17

A lot of farmers just use regular propane for their AC units in tractors. Mixes with all types of freon and works better then the new 134A stuff they say. By far the cheapest freon you can buy. But it is flammable so some shy away from it. Never have used it myself.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:36 AM   #18

How efficient is ENVIRO-SAFE
Old 04-14-2013, 07:44 AM   #19

I have several cans of R12 plus oil interested ? small cans but still R12 If interested contact me @ mar02@hotmail.ca
Old 04-15-2013, 03:13 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyair View Post
You can buy R12 can all day long on Craigslist.
The licence is $20 to take, and its an open book test... very easy to pass, then you can just go buy R12, no issues.
I keep reading that R12 is illegal... as far as I know its not, unless you release it into the air.
I have R134 conversions, and they rarely work as well as R12, so I stick to R12.
ES12 is a propane type of refridgerant, and works well, if not better than R12, but some people on another forum chewed me out about it because obviously, its flammable... Me personally, I have 80 gallons of gas, and 125lb of propane onboard... not stressing about a few more Ounces of gas!

I will be converting my vehicle back to R12...
Which is why I picked this up for $200...

Ooooh - I'm jealous! I want one - I have to borrow one when I need it.

I took the test and got the $20 license when I was living in the States. It's really easy, and it allowed me to purchase R12. I started using Freeze-12 for ease of use and cost reasons, plus it works well.

Selling or filling R12 is not illegal in the States, nor in Europe where I currently live. It's been illegal to manufacture it in the U.S. since 1996, but it is still being made in Mexico and therefore still available. Even Napa Auto Parts carries it in both 12oz cans and the bigger tanks.

I'm always surprised when people comment on the explosive risk of using propane in A/C systems since it's flammable. It's not like R12 or R134a aren't flammable either. Propane is even sold as R290 refrigerant. And with the whopping 3.5 lbs of refrigerant in a large automotive A/C system...

So Shaliberty, I suggest you call around to your local A/C service places to see if they can top-off your R-12 system for you.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:51 PM   #21

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaliberty View Post
94 Newmar, I have the switch that goes from gen to bat to shore. I put the switch on gen before hand. I hit the pushbutton in the coach, nothing, also have a push button start on the gen itself. 'nadda' on both. The only thing I haven't tried is starting up the gen, then trying to start the engine. Maybe it was rigged so it's not supposed to run both at same time, I don't know.
Ok, so today I did 'er backwards, I did not switch to generator on the panel, but did start the generator, then started the engine, it worked. Then switched the panel to genny, ran a/c, all was good. So I guess I have to do the genny first before starting engine. Doesn't work the other way around. Another problem solved.
Old 04-16-2013, 12:39 AM   #22

Vintage RV Owners Club
DeOrellana, Napa does have it at warehouse at $65 bucks a can, YIKE! Gotta be something else, Will call around and see who will fill it locally.
Old 04-19-2013, 12:18 PM   #23

The AC system is a sealed system, so if you have to top it off then you have a leak. Which means if you fill it without fixing the leak then you will be purging that newly purchased ($$$$$$) freon back out of your system and into the air. If you took it to a shop and they discharged the system first and placed the system under a vacuum then they could possible diagnose the system for leaks. It may be a subtle leak that only occurs once the system reaches a certain pressure, so it may leak back down to where it is now. If you do have them just top it off; at least have them put some dye in the system so you could more easily find the leak in the future. Just a thought. I am far from a pro at this, but I have successfully diagnosed and repaired ac systems on my own vehicles as well as completed a complete R134a retrofit on my 1984 Winnebago Cheiftain.
Old 05-01-2013, 04:57 PM   #24

Vintage RV Owners Club
Unhappy Back to the drawing board.....

Talk about Murphy's law...in my effort to do some PM on my genny, I took the air filter off to replace it and accidently pulled the spark plug wire out of the coil, that's it...that's all I did, honest!
put wire back on, no start, no spark, no nuttin'!
Now I know this genset may be a few (33) years old, however it was running just fine.
My son looked it over, we got a new wire and plug, no go, still no spark, so I ended up at the Cummin's South place in Augusta, GA to have them take a look. 4-5 hrs later after telling them what happened, they put a new coil on, still no spark, they say it's 44 years old, not sure I go with that, and that it's not worth fixing, cause he says the plunger inside that works the points is not working and it would cost as much as a new one to fix. Somehow my son or I are not buying this...maybe but...it was working fine, till I pulled off that stupid wire. My Son, bless his little heart, reminded me of what I always said, 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it'. Gotta have a sense of humor here, I'm supposed to be headed to NY already!
Son is gonna try more trouble shootin' tonight. Now comes my question, if I were to get a portable genny, just in case, what size would I need to plug my plug into it, like I would plug into shore power. Right now I'm plugged into my son's house/garage. I believe my plug is 30 amp. reg. 3 prong. The genny I have now is a 3.0 kw. If I just wanted to run the outlets in my RV and not the AC what could I get by with? Looking for inexpensive options here. If there are any, senior on SS here. Oh and my son did get spark when he was fiddling with the points.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:18 PM   #25

Quote:
Talk about Murphy's law...in my effort to do some PM on my genny, I took the air filter off to replace it and accidently pulled the spark plug wire out of the coil, that's it...that's all I did, honest!
put wire back on, no start, no spark, no nuttin'!
Now I know this genset may be a few (33) years old, however it was running just fine.
My son looked it over, we got a new wire and plug, no go, still no spark, so I ended up at the Cummin's South place in Augusta, GA to have them take a look. 4-5 hrs later after telling them what happened, they put a new coil on, still no spark, they say it's 44 years old, not sure I go with that, and that it's not worth fixing, cause he says the plunger inside that works the points is not working and it would cost as much as a new one to fix. Somehow my son or I are not buying this...maybe but...it was working fine, till I pulled off that stupid wire. My Son, bless his little heart, reminded me of what I always said, 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it'. Gotta have a sense of humor here, I'm supposed to be headed to NY already!
Son is gonna try more trouble shootin' tonight. Now comes my question, if I were to get a portable genny, just in case, what size would I need to plug my plug into it, like I would plug into shore power. Right now I'm plugged into my son's house/garage. I believe my plug is 30 amp. reg. 3 prong. The genny I have now is a 3.0 kw. If I just wanted to run the outlets in my RV and not the AC what could I get by with? Looking for inexpensive options here. If there are any, senior on SS here. Oh and my son did get spark when he was fiddling with the points.
Fuel and spark is all you need. Maybe you have a clogged fuel filter, bad gas, pinched line and/ or bad fuel pump. I think it's worth looking into. You van get cheap generators; we had a 3.0kw that we bought for $299 at a local automotive parts store before we owned something with an onboard genset. It ran everything in the TT.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:27 AM   #26

Vintage RV Owners Club
Winnebeater,thx, when it cranks, can smell the gas, and the gas is fed by chassis tank, so it's good. I know about the portables for cheap, but they are too big to fit where mine is. I have no place else to put it, that is the problem. I can't lift into coach and no where to mount at hitch because that's where my entrance door is.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:48 AM   #27

Quote:
Winnebeater,thx, when it cranks, can smell the gas, and the gas is fed by chassis tank, so it's good. I know about the portables for cheap, but they are too big to fit where mine is. I have no place else to put it, that is the problem. I can't lift into coach and no where to mount at hitch because that's where my entrance door is.
I'm not sure what kind of generator you have, but mine is a 27 year old Onan. It has a fuel pump on the generator and I could image if that was not working properly you may have weak fuel supply pressure. You may smell fuel, but it may not be enough to run the engine. I believe that spark on these old generators is also the same as a lawnmower via a flywheel/magneto. The gap at the flywheel as well as the spark plug is crucial. I know that it ran before, but it wouldn't hurt to do a thorough once over on everything. If there is a little error in a lot of areas it may add up to a enough to create a problem.
Old 05-03-2013, 02:21 AM   #28

Vintage RV Owners Club
Winnebeater, I ended up giving up on it, my Son will take it out for me and 'fiddle' with it in his spare time to see what he can do. In the meantime I just ordered a Powerhouse inverter/generator 2000KW with key/remote start that should do me for a while, I hope. Thx for the input.