Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-04-2011, 08:07 PM   #15

I've heard that just the sound of pumping a shotgun has been known to send would-be criminals fleeing for their lives.

I've also read about getting some big boots, a big dog dish, etc. and leaving them outside the door. On the door is a note to the effect that "I've gone to get some more beer and ammo. The three dogs are all inside." Supposedly this has the same effect as above, and has the benefit of working when you aren't there.

A friend of mine used to have a very large Irish wolfhound. The dog was actually very friendly (even thought he was a lapdog), but would certainly scare most burglars just by standing there, looking them in the eye. If they happened to get in Thor would knock them down and slobber them to death.
easdsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2011, 08:31 PM   #16

How about a sign:

"Sorry, I can't come to the door right now - I'm busy cleaning the guns. If you are from the drug store delivering my anti-psychotics, just leave them on the steps."
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 08:58 PM   #17

Ford Super Duty Owner
My Bounder was broken into and I do mean broken. They pryed the door open doing almost $6,000 damage to the coach. All they took was a $40 DVD player. The coach was parked in a rental lot. Now it is in my fenced back yard. For protection I now have.
1. Flood lights on motion detectors
2. Alarm system in the coach
3. Good insurance
4. I do not lock the coach door anymore
5. Leave nothing of value in the coach that is not bolted down
6. 13 pound attack Yorkie, she's a good watch dog
7. 12 ga riot gun loaded with bird shot, last resort.
It is a shame we have to go to this expense and effort to protect our property, but if we don't who will and it is only going to get worse.
Hipshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 09:40 AM   #18

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have not tried it yet but I hve an "Ultrasonic" motion detector for INSIDE the RV.

Outside the RV put a really big dog dish.. Something that holds like 2 gallons of water or dog food.. Fill the water bowl only (Since you don't have the big dog) For best effect add a really strong tie out stake, a heavy leash chain and a broken collar.

Let the burgler think what he will. . There is no dog.

(I used to keep compny with about 250 pounds of Canine Pussycat.. Or is that Rotweiller.. Well, depends on if you were on her "Friends" (I was) List or her "Other" list.
Old 11-06-2011, 12:26 AM   #19

Put a sign on door or windows Quiet Pet Boa sleeping inside
MrFixitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 01:18 AM   #20

I have a sign in the door window that says: "This Motor Home is protected by Colt three nights a week. You guess which three."

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 07:05 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
You all are assuming the burglars can read or pay any attention at all to whats around the RV.
Old 11-06-2011, 07:33 AM   #22

I guess, I have to make the sign bi-lingual, like everything else. "Press "1" to hear the sound of a .357 Magnum".

Old 11-06-2011, 08:04 AM   #23

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Go to dollar store and get the little widow sensors. They are pretty loud and cheap. I have mine parked in drive with 2 CCTV cameras recording 24/7. The police call me BATMAN because I tend to prowl around at night when I hear noises from the cameras. Yes we both have met outside in the dark.
Conquest102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 08:17 AM   #24

There is a street light 5' from the front of my MH and I also have a motion detection light over the garage.

Old 11-06-2011, 09:06 AM   #25

In Texas, if you shoot a burglar, the police are likely to replace your ammunition for you. Maybe some of you guys need to get some politicians with a rational view of the world?

My neighbor two doors down shot a kid that broke in and threatened the family with a shotgun that wasn't even cocked. I know in some states, that would be a mitigating circumstance for the kid, and an aggravating factor for my neighbor. The only time he spent in court was in the kid's (18 years old or so) trial.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:30 AM   #26

I AZ, if you call 911 about a break-in and say "Shots fired", the trigger happies will be there faster than a speeding bullet. If they question the "Shots Fired", you just tell them: "Well, there could have been."

Old 11-06-2011, 09:56 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Booby-trap = entrapment and law suit.

You need to be really careful protecting your property from some lazy-scum-bag-low-life.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 10:02 AM   #28

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Probably #Occupy Phenix City railing against Big RV and its corporate master.
Peter_Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote