Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-23-2011, 09:00 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Coastal Campers
RV bandits

My 1984 Pace Arrow has been broken into twice last week. It is still a work-in-progress and had only tools and cd player in it that was stolen but that really does not matter what they got since it will be hard to replace since I live off social security. The police was called both times but you know how that goes. Any suggestions on how is the best way to secure my MH that want cost an arm and leg
Dennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2011, 09:15 PM   #2

Is the location where it is parked out of the way? If you could move it where it is in plain sight, if it isn't already, this may help.
you may want to look around for a car alarm to install in it. Maybe try Craigslist for an inexpensive used one. At least this will draw attention to it.
Also cover the windows so what is inside can not be seen, and remove what is left until they give up stealing from you.
leadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 09:15 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
PUt a big dog inside with a warning outside.
a10koaksfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 09:18 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
or a big hungry dog without the sign
Bob N Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 09:24 PM   #5

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
If it's still work in progress a bad ground plugged into shore power would give em a jolt----- just kidding!!! That might not kill them and you would get sued.
4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 09:28 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
I have mine parked in the mobile home park my brother lives in. Mine got broken into, too, they cut the screen on one window they were able to slide open. But, I don't really see anything missing. I will just have to replace the screen now. I would love to park it in my drive way but my brother and son's friends destroyed an old van I used to have sitting there, I'm afraid to move it here. If there is a way to put a car alarm or a door and window alarm on, that would help. But I'm afraid they would go after the generator or something like that.
svdreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 11:34 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Speaking of the dog... There is actually a company that makes this.. It's a big nasty dog, however it is a statue (Plastic I think.. Though for the joke to work concrete would be better) with a digital snarl and motion detector eyes.

now you enter the trailer, the dog snarls, since you know what it is no problem.

But the bratty burgler kid enters,, The dog snarls, He soils his trousers leving black marks on the floor from his tennies as he sets a new land speed record getting outta there,,

Of course if he trips on his shoelaceses (Cause he was too stupid to tie them properly) then you end up in court defending on a charge of harboring a vicious animal (this by the way is the hoke part) You will reperesnt your self and you have briefed the prosecutor and judge.. you have a photo of the statue and you ask the plantiff/complaitnat if this is the dog that attacked you. He confirms (of course)

you then tell the court you have CONCRETE evidence your dog did NOT attack.. And can prove it,, But first, is not the real accused here the dog? And does no tthe dog have th right to confront his accuser? (Judge being brifed and knowning what is about to happen agrees and asks if dog is in the building) Why yes he is, just outside in another room.. Judge orders someone to bring in the dog.. They wheel him in on a hand cart.. You "pat" him on the head with a solid object THUNK THUNK, As I said your honor,, CONCRETE PROOF my dog did not attack anyone, He's made of Concrete.

Judge says: Case dismissed, Hold that witness for perjury, contempt of court and burgurly.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:32 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennie View Post
My 1984 Pace Arrow has been broken into twice last week. It is still a work-in-progress and had only tools and cd player in it that was stolen but that really does not matter what they got since it will be hard to replace since I live off social security. The police was called both times but you know how that goes. Any suggestions on how is the best way to secure my MH that want cost an arm and leg
I put a sign on the window that says "Don't worry about the dog, the owner is terrifying enough! Smile, you're on camera [moderator edit]".

I don't know if it works but the guy who has a car parked next to my rig in storage moved it a few feet over giving my rig a lot more room!
Old 08-24-2011, 12:54 PM   #9

ive used my extra dog kennel Cyclone fence panels with a locked gate.
One can get 4,6,8ft panels. Not cheap,but you can always resell them easily at a good price.
They Deter most theft,not all.
I think thats the biggest bang for buck and effort.
PalmSprings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 03:25 PM   #10

An alarm system would really help. Automotive and residential all pretty much work the same. You can sometimes pick up old ones from installers.

A motion sensor inside and maybe a switch on the door should be all you need. Even a cheap Chinese one on ebay would do the trick.
BigV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 03:56 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I would put something of value in plain sight and then stay in the Motorhome until the perp comes in and them spray him with wasp spray.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 05:09 PM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Thanks for all the good advice. I plan on me nd my small dog and big shotgun staying in the motor home a few nights. Maybe it will be their unlucky night.
Dennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 05:44 PM   #13

Thats the one choice that could end up costing you a ton of money (and more) if the unexpected occurs.
There are cheaper alternatives just as effective. I admit theyre not as satisfing in the planning stage....
PalmSprings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 05:38 PM   #14

could booby trap your mh
rvsneeby is offline   Reply With Quote