Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2012, 08:18 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Question RV Insurance question...

We are in Oregon and are wondering how others are insuring their RV. We were going to insure ours for one day so we could drive it home but the insurance companies we have talked to say they don't insure for one day and then tell us it will cost over $600 for a full year or $135 a year for storage liability. This doesn't sound right.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2012, 08:26 PM   #2

I just carry liability on my 23 yr old coach, about $70 for 6 Mo. I figure $2000 damages would be totaled, so comprehensive coverage would just be a waste of money. I imagine a 28 yr old class C would be a similar situation.
ARTWERKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 04:51 AM   #3

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
I don't know of anybody that insures for 1 day unless you are a commercial transport company. We have State Farm and only pay around $175/yr for full coverage. If nothing else, get a 6 month policy, then cancel it after you get the thing home. They should refund the difference.
Old 10-26-2012, 09:52 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekrsq View Post
I don't know of anybody that insures for 1 day unless you are a commercial transport company. We have State Farm and only pay around $175/yr for full coverage. If nothing else, get a 6 month policy, then cancel it after you get the thing home. They should refund the difference.
I'm with the Hartford on all my cars and I added the RV for about for about 170 a year and have full coverage.
Bilito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 10:53 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilito View Post
I'm with the Hartford on all my cars and I added the RV for about for about 170 a year and have full coverage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekrsq View Post
For $175 a year that sounds reasonable.Over $600 a year sounds like a ripoff...I've heard of others getting insurance from other states that was pretty inexpensive.
Old 10-26-2012, 04:04 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Laws vary from place to place but if you are driving it home from the dealer,,, Usually if you have any vehicle that is covered, it is covered as well, same level.. USUALLY, not always. So do not count on this.

YOu may wish to talk to other insurance carriers.. Or as the song advises "Do the shop around". You might find a different insurance company wiling to do what you want, I would have storage coverage on it at the minimum if you are not driving it overwinter.

NOTE: This spring, happened to be the very month my insurance came due for renewal, one of the other posters here posted a lament about how despite no claims, no tickets, no negatives over the last year his insurance had gone up roughly 2,000 per year as I recall.

Mine (Same conditions) went DOWN

So do the shop around.
Old 10-28-2012, 05:50 PM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Oregon is high on insurance. They require personal insurance to be part of the policy so it runs it way up there.
We had 2 vehicles registered and Arizona was nearly 1/3 what we paid up there. Liability on our MH is 47 bucks for 6 months.
They didn't ask if we lived in it and I didn't say.
jmugsshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 07:59 PM   #8

Texas Boomers Club
Jayco Owners Club
Our tow vehicle liability covers our trailer for liability. We have no comp coverage on the trailer. If we wreck it, we fix it ourselves. Fixed value coverage was just way to expensive.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:05 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
So buy whatever the company requires and then cancel it a day, week, or whatever later. You'll be reimbursed for the unearned part of the premium.

Your car insurance company MAY provide temporary coverage off your existing policy for a week to a month, but you need to confirm that with them first. Not all will, nor will all jurisdictions allow that.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:23 AM   #10

According to my insurance company (GEICO) the liability portion of my trucks insurance also covers anything I tow. I can get comp coverage but it will not cover replacement cost of my trailer (71 Airstream) just current value. Current value of my 86 Prowler is a lot different that 71 Airstream. The Airstream can get into the 10s of thousands of dollars. Won't see any 86 Prowler's going at that price lol.

After I get my Airstream finished I will get comp insurance for it. It can cost $$$$$ to get one of them repaired. I have been working on that project for two years now. Even parts for it cost lots.

I agree with above - shop around. Even get quotes over the internet. Normally all you need for a quote is very little information and the VIN.

Good Luck
mwells4654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 05:50 PM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
When getting internet quotes you might want to open a "throw away" email. You will get lots of spam from all of the ones you contact that will drive you nuts.
jmugsshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:03 PM   #12

Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We have State Farm on 2 cars and a boat. State Farm TT recreational vehicle insurance is just under $200 a year. Liability coverage, medical payments coverage, uninsured & underinsured motor vehicle coverage, & physical damage coverage. DH didn't look around or even really ask about it - just called our agent and said " we just bought this."
Old 10-31-2012, 09:17 PM   #13

We went with Safeco and they were from AAA Carolinas. We let AAA do the shopping and they hooked us up. Adding our 2010 Fuzion and dropping a Jeep, we saved $600 a year! Call about adding to policy.
HTFireMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:36 PM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboyUpFord View Post
We are in Oregon and are wondering how others are insuring their RV. We were going to insure ours for one day so we could drive it home but the insurance companies we have talked to say they don't insure for one day and then tell us it will cost over $600 for a full year or $135 a year for storage liability. This doesn't sound right.
Our DSDP is 10 years old and we pay about $1200 a year for it. We do have full original cost loss on it though.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance