Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-06-2011, 10:28 PM   #15

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My motorhome is as new as the last part I bought and installed. It just means it's taken 27 years to finish the prototype model.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2011, 12:26 AM   #16

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleamarketer View Post
We had that question a number of times yrs ago.When you can't discriminate who you rent a apartment to because it's against the law,I don't know how if someone challenged that if they could get away with that.It's the same thing.
Nope, it's not the same thing.
In the case of housing you're trying to rent or buy the dwelling. In the case of an RV spot you already own the RV, you just want a temporary space to park it.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 07:45 PM   #17

Vintage RV Owners Club
What I find hilarious is that so many people buy on 10 year financing. The day they make their last payment the rig is too old for these campgrounds.
Old 11-08-2011, 09:01 AM   #18

Send a message via Skype™ to tomec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Nope, it's not the same thing.
In the case of housing you're trying to rent or buy the dwelling. In the case of an RV spot you already own the RV, you just want a temporary space to park it.
This could get a little muddy when it comes to monthly renters (fulltime living in rv). Laws already apply to manufactured homes/mobile homes who pay monthly rent for the land their home (they own) sits on.
Old 11-08-2011, 11:14 AM   #19

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
This could be opening Pandora's box... where do a private business-owner's "right to refuse service" end? Just where does 'membership' truly have its privileges, anymore? Not that I am in favor of the bigoted, narrow-minded hyper-critical haters out there, nor do I think a well-cared-for RV should be turned away; but if an owner of a private park sets rules that we don't agree with, we should just move on. If his standards are indeed too high, eventually economics will force his hand to change.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:41 AM   #20

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley girl View Post
I own and operate an RV Park and I really sympathize with both sides of the coin on this issue. I do not have a restriction on age for short term guests but if a guest wants to stay for an extended time I do ask the age of their RV, explaining that I am not a "new RV snob," but that I want all my guests including them to feel that their surroundings will be clean, neat and well kept. If their RV is more than 10 years old I make exception as long as their RV is well kept. Due to difference of opinion I have often been disappointed upon their arrival due to their RV having missing compartment doors, an extremely damaged paint job, broken windows covered with duct tape and the like. On the other hand I have seen adorable vintage RV's that have been remodeled and also some that have just been very well taken care of so I certainly would not want to turn them away. So if you call my park near San Antonio, Texas for a long term spot and your older RV is in nice cosmetic shape...just tell me and we'll make it happen. Just thought you may understand if you heard some reasoning from the other side.
That makes perfect sense.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:51 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Crowl View Post
What I find hilarious is that so many people buy on 10 year financing. The day they make their last payment the rig is too old for these campgrounds.
Yeah because most people buy worrying about a rule nobody enforces if the rig is cared for. I know when I signed my loan on our 11 year old rig first thought in my head was it's too old for 10 year restricted campgrounds...
EndeavorV10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 11:02 AM   #22

Valley Girl makes sense. I've been to many parks listing a 10 year restriction or inspection. My previous Holiday Rambler was kept for 12 years. When calling for a reservation I always gave the model and year as a "lovely 1986 HR" and never had a problem. Come to think of it, other than a glance out the window of the office I was never asked for an inspection. Currently I have been parked in campgrounds with restrictions next to some lovely vintage MHs.
I guess I really don't mind the published rules offering exemption for inspection. I really don't want to be hooked up next to a yellow school bus with boarded up windows. They may be nice people, but????
JMHO
Old 11-09-2011, 11:13 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalynzoo View Post
Valley Girl makes sense. I've been to many parks listing a 10 year restriction or inspection. My previous Holiday Rambler was kept for 12 years. When calling for a reservation I always gave the model and year as a "lovely 1986 HR" and never had a problem. Come to think of it, other than a glance out the window of the office I was never asked for an inspection. Currently I have been parked in campgrounds with restrictions next to some lovely vintage MHs.
I guess I really don't mind the published rules offering exemption for inspection. I really don't want to be hooked up next to a yellow school bus with boarded up windows. They may be nice people, but????
JMHO
Ditto, I have been to a couple of campgrounds that asked what age my RV was when making a reservation and I tell them it's a '99 in excellent condition but may be dirty when I get there from bugs and weather.

When I have gotten to these parks the person writing me up has said it looks almost new to them. Since I have only been to 2 parks with RV age rules I don't know how the others would react but I imagine they would react the same.
EndeavorV10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 11:43 AM   #24

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
So then why not a simple "we reserve the right to refuse.." statement and leave the arbitrary 10 Year Rule out all together? Seems to me that if your only using it to have an excuse to refuse only those you dont like, you should just say so up front.
Old 11-10-2011, 08:34 PM   #25

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Ryegal
Hi All, Only 1 time did someone ask if we had any viecles over 10 yr old. We were a rally looking for a place and when they found out they may loose 35 viecles they decided mine was ok.
There are high end parks that may do that, but not most. when I call a park I tell them I have a vintage coach, there is always someone who will take you and if they don't want me Then I don't want to stay there. I'm proud to sayI have a 1975 Barth Class C
Old 11-11-2011, 07:48 PM   #26

Thor Owners Club
The only time I had a problem with age... I tried to stay in Arizona at a RESORT type place. I couldn't get a reservation. I wasn't old enough
It is a funny world... Peace... D
Lemon and Tucker the Pups
Dixieray53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 09:06 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by njs42 View Post
Attachment 15397

Not a day over five years.
I love the snowshoe visors.

No longer RVing. Happy Trails to you.
Campingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 09:16 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley girl View Post
I own and operate an RV Park and I really sympathize with both sides of the coin on this issue. I do not have a restriction on age for short term guests but if a guest wants to stay for an extended time I do ask the age of their RV, explaining that I am not a "new RV snob," but that I want all my guests including them to feel that their surroundings will be clean, neat and well kept. If their RV is more than 10 years old I make exception as long as their RV is well kept. Due to difference of opinion I have often been disappointed upon their arrival due to their RV having missing compartment doors, an extremely damaged paint job, broken windows covered with duct tape and the like. On the other hand I have seen adorable vintage RV's that have been remodeled and also some that have just been very well taken care of so I certainly would not want to turn them away. So if you call my park near San Antonio, Texas for a long term spot and your older RV is in nice cosmetic shape...just tell me and we'll make it happen. Just thought you may understand if you heard some reasoning from the other side.
Welcome Valley Girl, your first post here. I also operate an RV park and campground and agree 100% with you. I had a guy have his 34' Class A towed into my Park. He was intending on rebuilding his engine while he stayed for an extended term. It never came off the tow truck. I had asked him how it looked, never thought to ask if it ran, lol.

No longer RVing. Happy Trails to you.
Campingman is offline   Reply With Quote