Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-11-2011, 08:34 PM   #29

It's just a fact of life that most of us will "judge a book by it's cover". I will plead guilty to thinking that the residents of a 30 year old "Ghetto Bus" are more likely to be poor neighbors than the folks in the new Prevost.

It's a lot easier for a CG owner to set a simple age limit than to request that everyone looking for a reservation send photos of their rigs. As has been mentioned by owners of clean vintage equipment, a good photo usually gets them welcomed.

I will say that I have really enjoyed being at a nice campground that allows older units in good condition - they are a pleasure to see.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2011, 04:43 PM   #30

Some years ago Carpentria State Beach had a lenght limit, and they actually painter lines on the asphalt pavement at the entrance to check your length. If your unit was too long, you were not accepted, even if you had reservations.
Not sure about present conditions, or if they still practice this procedure.
CarlGeo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

If your Coach is well maintained and looks nice, just tell them it's nine years old. I did that and was never turned down nor was I ever asked the prove it.
In California, many state parks say nothing over 32 feet. Always tell them it's 32 feet. I never met a Ranger with a tape. The only time it didn't work was when the limit was 18 feet. He didn't believe me when I said my 34 foot was 18 feet. He didn't need a tape for that one.
All of the age things were with my last coach.
CarlGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 05:38 PM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlGeo View Post
Some years ago Carpentria State Beach had a lenght limit, and they actually painter lines on the asphalt pavement at the entrance to check your length. If your unit was too long, you were not accepted, even if you had reservations.
Not sure about present conditions, or if they still practice this procedure.
CarlGeo
Most of the Campgrounds here along the beach have length restrictions which are mostly 31 ft. a few are longer. It really depends on the Ranger and how big a power trip they are on as to wether or not they put up a fight.
I saw a guy bring in a 38ft 5th wheel one night after the park had closed. They put down some plywood over the spikes and brought it in and got it set up and then registered it the next morning.
My son has never had any problems with his 36 ftr.
We go to Leo Carillo, Thornhill Broome or Refugio, no problems.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 04:22 PM   #32

My '63 Grumman Kurbmaster homebuilt is a little rough around the edges, but that could be cured with some fresh paint. I run a paint and body shop, but never seem to have the time!

But, I have no TV's in belly compartments to turn the volume up on...no car or home stereo on board to blare at all hours...

I enjoy a quiet evening with a campfire, some good chow and a cold adult beverage.

Not all the machines that arent spiffy have meth labs inside. Heck, I like to give 50 cent tours!

It is what it is, and for those who discriminate against me, hope you enjoy all the income from those empty slots. I will find someplace to stay. There are a finite sum of traveling RVers, and a finite sum of campground spaces available. Generally, more spaces than campers...turn down income at your own risk!
Ob1quixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 04:28 PM   #33

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ob1quixote View Post
My '63 Grumman Kurbmaster homebuilt is a little rough around the edges, but that could be cured with some fresh paint. I run a paint and body shop, but never seem to have the time!

But, I have no TV's in belly compartments to turn the volume up on...no car or home stereo on board to blare at all hours...

I enjoy a quiet evening with a campfire, some good chow and a cold adult beverage.

Not all the machines that arent spiffy have meth labs inside. Heck, I like to give 50 cent tours!

It is what it is, and for those who discriminate against me, hope you enjoy all the income from those empty slots. I will find someplace to stay. There are a finite sum of traveling RVers, and a finite sum of campground spaces available. Generally, more spaces than campers...turn down income at your own risk!
As has been said before, it's NOT "discrimination", it's a rule of the park. Like it or not. They have their reasons for wanting the rule.
They get to choose who they let in, you get to choose to go somewhere else.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 05:09 PM   #34

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley girl View Post
I own and operate an RV Park and I really sympathize with both sides of the coin on this issue. I do not have a restriction on age for short term guests but if a guest wants to stay for an extended time I do ask the age of their RV, explaining that I am not a "new RV snob," but that I want all my guests including them to feel that their surroundings will be clean, neat and well kept. If their RV is more than 10 years old I make exception as long as their RV is well kept. Due to difference of opinion I have often been disappointed upon their arrival due to their RV having missing compartment doors, an extremely damaged paint job, broken windows covered with duct tape and the like. On the other hand I have seen adorable vintage RV's that have been remodeled and also some that have just been very well taken care of so I certainly would not want to turn them away. So if you call my park near San Antonio, Texas for a long term spot and your older RV is in nice cosmetic shape...just tell me and we'll make it happen. Just thought you may understand if you heard some reasoning from the other side.
Hi Valley Girl & WELCOME!

Thanks for your explanation. Makes sense. I know that beauty is in the eye of the beholder and some times- those of us with vintage rigs- feel 'looked down upon'.

My neighbor calls me 'trailer trash' (she is not kidding, when she calls me this). I think that my rig is nice. It's just a bit faded.

This was my old rig (photo taken last year)

PNWGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 05:36 PM   #35

Vintage RV Owners Club
This is a pretty common problem for Truck Camper owners when they leave the west coast where they're one of the more common RVs.

I run into it from time to time, but I also tend to arrive at places late in the evening and do night check-ins, so I may miss this from time to time by doing that. I think that's how I managed to stay at Old Stone Village in McMinnville. Arrived late, checked in via the night drop box, used an empty site listed on the office door, and figured out the door code from the reservation info left for another camper (Just had to hold it up to the light, felt tip marker shows right through folded paper when its a bit moist from the evening dew ).
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 06:01 PM   #36

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Theory: Some RV parks have more business than they can handle so they come up with ways of "Restricting" the clients.. one of those ways is the "10 year rule" (No RV's over 10 years old)

Fact: IF they have that much business, they do not need mine.. Thus, When the reservations clerk says "How old is your rig" as one did at a park about 3.5 miles from where I'm parked... I find another place (3.5 miles away in this case) to park my SIX year old rig. Same price, Way nicer management.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:26 PM   #37

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thank you!! I needed that little lift, after the day that I have had.....
Sheila
Old 11-16-2011, 11:59 PM   #38

Ford Super Duty Owner
I wasn't asked the age of mine, instead I was just asked WHAT the heck IS IT?

They called it a "Heavy Duty Class C"
This year the door IS getting painted and some graphics added to the sides.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 11:23 AM   #39

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekanic View Post

What the heck is it? Potentially the basis for an epic man cave .
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 12:38 PM   #40

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekanic View Post

Thats bad @ss
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 12:59 PM   #41

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
That is almost as interesting as the Outback Aussie's guys rig! Very neat. Any chance that you could post interior shots?

Sheila
Old 11-17-2011, 05:38 PM   #42

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWGirl View Post
Hi Valley Girl & WELCOME!

Thanks for your explanation. Makes sense. I know that beauty is in the eye of the beholder and some times- those of us with vintage rigs- feel 'looked down upon'.

My neighbor calls me 'trailer trash' (she is not kidding, when she calls me this). I think that my rig is nice. It's just a bit faded.

This was my old rig (photo taken last year)

That SunCruiser is one sweet lookin' ride!
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote