Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-04-2011, 08:56 PM   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to tomec
RV Parks and RV age

I'm in process of trying to find pics of my rig to post in this group (hopefully will get that done tomorrow).

But I wanted to post a note/question to see if others have run into this. I have 1986 Holiday Rambler class A that I live in and have traveled in (not so much traveling these days due to lack of funds).

I noticed when I was traveling around some RV parks turned me away because my RV is more than 10 years old. I'm thinking because I was using a Woodall's book that this was why I kept running into that problem (ie: Woodall's rates RV parks and parks with older RVs can get lower ratings?).

All the best to you and yours,

-tom

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2011, 10:18 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomec View Post
I'm in process of trying to find pics of my rig to post in this group (hopefully will get that done tomorrow).

But I wanted to post a note/question to see if others have run into this. I have 1986 Holiday Rambler class A that I live in and have traveled in (not so much traveling these days due to lack of funds).

I noticed when I was traveling around some RV parks turned me away because my RV is more than 10 years old. I'm thinking because I was using a Woodall's book that this was why I kept running into that problem (ie: Woodall's rates RV parks and parks with older RVs can get lower ratings?).

All the best to you and yours,
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

If your Coach is well maintained and looks nice, just tell them it's nine years old. I did that and was never turned down nor was I ever asked the prove it.
In California, many state parks say nothing over 32 feet. Always tell them it's 32 feet. I never met a Ranger with a tape. The only time it didn't work was when the limit was 18 feet. He didn't believe me when I said my 34 foot was 18 feet. He didn't need a tape for that one.
All of the age things were with my last coach.

Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 10:56 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
pretty sure you cant mistake an 80s rv for being 9yrs old. Even some late 90s models look older than that...lol.

I would just call ahead on your next trip or just boondock at wally world.
Old 11-04-2011, 11:16 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Its not Woodalls.. the parks themselves are stuck up.. Never give them your money.

I'm pretty sure my RV would not pass for 9 yrs old...
Old 11-04-2011, 11:27 PM   #5

We had that question a number of times yrs ago.When you can't discriminate who you rent a apartment to because it's against the law,I don't know how if someone challenged that if they could get away with that.It's the same thing.
Old 11-04-2011, 11:28 PM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Mine certainly wouldn't pass for less then 10 yrs old but I'm happy with it. Lots of work but well worth it. When finished it will be as good if not better then new. If they don't want my money I'll find someone who will.RV'rs generally don't care how old your rig is when you park next to them if its clean and mutual respect is shown. RV park owners on the other hand can be snippy. Its sad but happens.
Old 11-05-2011, 06:22 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gary and Norm retriving the Dolphin 011.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	777.0 KB
ID:	15397

Not a day over five years.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 06:57 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Those parks with age limits are out there, however it has been my experience that the park personnel have not asked me the age of my MH when making reservations or checking on availability by phone. My MH is not over 10 years old. We stay in nice average parks & I see RV's of all ages parked in them. We avoid the high dollar resorts, out of our price range. But like said above, if they want to be snobs, I don't want to stay there any way. My money is as good as anyone else's & I will take it to some one who appreciates my business
dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 07:22 AM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Our MH is well over 10 years old but is well maintained. We have never had a problem once we have sent pictures to campgrounds we wanted to stay at.

Now for the other side of the question. We have a relative that owns a campground and never had a rule for age of RV's. He let an older Class C in thinking he was helping a guy down on his luck out. It wasn't a bad looking rig but turned out the guy was using it as a meth lab. Cooked up his stuff and abandoned the RV in the campground. By the time all was said and done he had spent over $30,000 on clean up and lost a full season of use of his campground. HazMat clean up is not cheap or easy. He now has a 10 rule in place for any new clients.
Old 11-05-2011, 07:34 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
When we had the 79 Silver Streak, a photo answered the questions. Now with an 89 Avion, we have not had a problem when we tell them it looks like an Air Stream.

But there are the few RV "RESORTS" that have to cater to the snob crowd that are afraid that something might jump off our 22 year old trailer and attach there new plastic box. For them, the answer is really simple...I don't spend my money there.

Ken
Old 11-05-2011, 01:23 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I use Woodalls to locate CGs when outside of Alaska. I can only remember a couple times where they asked for the year of my MH. I doubt it has anything to do with Woodalls.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 05:03 PM   #12

with my 1985 i have questioned 2 times 1 was for full timed they didnt even look second was in the hill country of texas cant remember where but i sent pics all done
Old 11-05-2011, 06:35 PM   #13
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
This topic comes up frequently. The parks, for the most part, are leaving themselves an out so they can refuse entry to that rig with one side caved in, a couple storage doors missing, a portible toilet lashed to the rear ladder, duct tape holding the siding on,.... You get the idea.

If your rig has been cared for and maintained neither you nor you money are likely to be turned away from 99% of the parks that list this in their park rules.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 10:12 PM   #14

The "Excuse" the all older RV's are used by drug dealers is just a all for one high school logic.If you have a fulltimer living within their means and really caring about their home in a later part of their life their is no excuse to insult them with a arbitrary rule like that.