Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-22-2011, 07:44 PM   #1

RV Show

I went to the RV show in Kansas City today. I hadn't been to one in several years. I thought I had a fairly nice motorhome until I took a look at what is on the market today. It makes mine look like a pile of crap! I did get a lot of ideas on how to improve mine to update it. All it takes is time and MONEY! I do think mine is built better than the new stuff. They all seem to have done everything they can to lose weight. That includes structural sturdiness. Every travel trailer I walked in seemed like the floor was spongy. I do like the big bathrooms and the recessed lighting and all the room slideouts make. But mine is paid for and a new similar motorhome (there actually isn't such a thing) would be well over $100,000.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2011, 08:24 PM   #2
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietWater View Post
I went to the RV show in Kansas City today. I hadn't been to one in several years. I thought I had a fairly nice motorhome until I took a look at what is on the market today. It makes mine look like a pile of crap! I did get a lot of ideas on how to improve mine to update it. All it takes is time and MONEY!
I know you don't mean that. It's guys like yourself that keep our RV'ing heritage alive. Keep up the good work.

RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 08:40 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Know what you mean. We were happy with our Coachman (no slides) back in 2000 then saw a MH with a slide. Had to have it, now have 3 slides and at the show saw a 4 slide and one telescopes out. Hope I don't get that bug.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:23 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I have an 1988 winnabago cheiftain. To me you cant beat it. Its not as fancy as the new ones but does it have great memories. It is my home away from home.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:57 AM   #5

The grass isn't always greener on the other side of the road!! We have looked at all kinds of new motorcoaches but are not interested in owning one. We had certain requirements when we bought our old 1989 Foretravel Grand Villa. Ex: 36' max, door by the kitchen, no booth, leveling jacks, better mileage than the old class C, no putrid seafoam green carpet and interior, in good well cared for condition, no slides, minimal high tech equipment to go wrong. This unit met all our requirements and even exceeded them.
Old 01-23-2011, 10:43 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
QuietWater, I love your rig! She looks beautiful! What is she?

I do know what you mean about seeing the new rigs today. Last year I fell in love with a 2010 Damon Tuscany. Now I know I would never be able to afford it, well, maybe 30 years from now, but it inspired me to do a few little things to my 1985 rig. Doesn't make it a Damon Tuscany but it, at least, is in my budget. Then too, I don't have an RV payment either. So, I guess it's a fair trade-off

Sheila
~ Salt Creek Recreation Area Olympic Peninsula, Washington ~
PNWGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 11:05 AM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
We went to an RV show and didn't see anything that made us feel "we've got to have that" . We might like to have a slide but our motorhome is comfortable, works, and its paid for!
Bob N Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 12:38 PM   #8

I too enjoy going to an RV show, nice new shiny stuff to look at. I love my motorhome, but will be full-timing in the next year, and would like a larger chassis to haul more stuff. But then again, the price makes me stop and think. I will start in mine, and go from there.

Greg & Lynn (Full-Timing)
2011 Phaeton 42 QBH / Spartan Chassis
2003 Jeep GC Overland in Tow
FDchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 08:20 AM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
A friend of ours recently spent more on new automatic window shades than we spent for our entire coach!

I have to say that "paid for" feeling gives me a lot of security, since nobody's guaranteed me what's coming down the road in the next few years.

I'll take our old, "outdated" but UPdated, pretty and comfortable home over a big-azzz payment-with-slides anyday.

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 08:39 AM   #10
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietWater View Post
I went to the RV show in Kansas City today. I hadn't been to one in several years. I thought I had a fairly nice motorhome until I took a look at what is on the market today. It makes mine look like a pile of crap! I did get a lot of ideas on how to improve mine to update it. All it takes is time and MONEY! I do think mine is built better than the new stuff. They all seem to have done everything they can to lose weight. That includes structural sturdiness. Every travel trailer I walked in seemed like the floor was spongy. I do like the big bathrooms and the recessed lighting and all the room slideouts make. But mine is paid for and a new similar motorhome (there actually isn't such a thing) would be well over $100,000.
We also went to the same at the KCI Expo Center on 1/22. We try to go to this one every couple of years just to break the winter doldrums. Are you going to the big show this weekend at the Bartle Center in downtown KC?.. That one should be much much better as they are supposed to have over 250+ MH's, popups, tt and 5vers.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:35 AM   #11

There is an RV show in our area next month and my wife and I are thinking of going. It's easy to get lured into all the new stuff but I still like the quality of our old '88 Beaver. It's also "paid for". Whenever I weaken and start to think about making a change, I just remind myself of how well I sleep because I don't have a payment. Besides, I love this old MH and it's fun driving something that is not too common anymore.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:30 PM   #12
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocha Latte View Post
There is an RV show in our area next month and my wife and I are thinking of going. It's easy to get lured into all the new stuff but I still like the quality of our old '88 Beaver. It's also "paid for". Whenever I weaken and start to think about making a change, I just remind myself of how well I sleep because I don't have a payment. Besides, I love this old MH and it's fun driving something that is not too common anymore.
And the quality of your unit is most likely as good as or better than the "new" units being built today. We're still toying around with getting a "good" used DP but would need to travel more yearly miles to justify doing so.
Old 01-25-2011, 03:15 PM   #13

Not necessarily, JC2. Servicing does cost more but not that much more when you factor in what we paid for it. We bought this Beaver last year after a 10 year hiatus from RVing. It only had 63k miles on it and cost about what a new car would cost today. This was about a tenth of what it cost when it was new in 1988. From last Spring through the Fall season we used it about 6 times and used less than 2 tanks of fuel. It's very well built; no particle board etc. It feels very solid and sturdy. And we will have to spend a lot of money to approach the cost of a newer, lower quality rig.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:38 PM   #14

PNWGirl - My rig is a 1984 Holiday Rambler Imperial. The one thing that would motivate me to look for something newer is that everything on this MH is no longer available, an odd size from the new stuff, or too difficult to upgrade to modern standards. However, it does what I want it to so I'm happy.
JC2 - Yes, I think I will be going to the Bartle Hall show, too. I have to go see the ShamWow guy or my year would not be complete! Maybe we will brush shoulders. I'll be the guy with the camouflage hat! LOL! There are usually a lot more accessory venders than at the KCI Expo. However, I really enjoy the convenience of KCI. What really is ironic is that I drive all the way to KCI or Bartle Hall and yet most of the RV vendors are within 5 miles of my house.