Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-19-2009, 04:47 PM   #1

Scared

I am new to the MH thing and have a lot to do to mine. I bought a 1988 elandan and found every window including the roof has been leaking for at least 2 years. I picked it up for $5000. The generator works well as everything else. It has the 454 and starts right up. Six new truck tires were a big plus I think. He gave me all the manuals and paperwork he had with it. So now I am tearing into it and have found just half way up the walls are bad but the rest seems good. The ceiling in it looks good now that all the headliner is down and old foam has been scraped off. I am good with fixing the inside but it was the drive train I wanted to be in good shape. I did not want to have it towed. I go to Texas motor speedway spring and fall so when the race came I had to buy something that night. It made the 600 mile round trip with no problems except all the lip I got from the wife about the way the inside looked. She did not complain about the ac blowing cold or the Bud light in the fridge during the day while she sat in it. I think I need to rent a pop-up to remind her what it could be. Anyway I guess my biggest question is now I have one place under a window on the body that is starting to delaminate and wrinkle. From what I have found it is all just glued to the foam board. How do I get the wrinkle out of the body? And this one is important too. When I get old am I not going to want to sleep with my wife anymore. What is the deal with all the twin beds? I even read where people take their beds out and change them to twins. I am afraid getting older is going to suck. Any help will do

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2009, 06:53 PM   #2
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Eddiepotts,
There is an alternative to getting old. I don't think you would like it.

Happy trails. When it's all finished, DW will like it.

It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 07:31 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome eddiepotts to the Vintage forum and congrats on your new project to be.
No need to be scared some good information on rebuilds here right down to frames.
Just take a few minuets and read through some of them to get ideas and how to fix what your want. If you take your time wife will be happy and may even join in so you do not get all the credit.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 06:52 PM   #4

I know it won't be to bad. But does anybody know how to fix the wrinkle in the body or do I just have to live with it.
Old 04-20-2009, 06:53 PM   #5

On the motor home that is!
Old 04-22-2009, 11:06 AM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
Are the sides solid fiberglass or filon (fiberglass applied to some kind of backer, usually particle board or luan)?
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 02:50 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome to the forums. The "wrinkle" in th ebody is probaby delamination which is mostly caused by water intrusion. If the coach is the typical laminated construction, the Filon has a Luan plywood backer. When it gets wet, it will cause the sidewals to bulge or wrinkle.

Not much can be done to fix it. You need to fix all of the leaks...they only get worse.

ken
Old 04-23-2009, 12:12 PM   #8

I think it is glued to the Luan plywood. I plan to pull all the windows and Luan on the inside and let it dry. I was thinking when the window is out useing a heat gun and drying behind the fiberglass. Does anybody think I can use some contact glue in where I can get to with the window out and clamp a sheet of wood to the outside and flatten it back out?
Old 05-01-2009, 10:22 PM   #9

Well I popped the window out today. I call the man that I bought it from and he was the only owner and never took the windows out. what I found was the sealer was installed on the sealing part on the fram except in the corners. the top corners were just on the window frame that pertruded into the MH. these windows never stood a chance. Now I know how easy it is to fix the windows they will all be done this weekend. Just wish i can say the same for the carpet and luan on the inside. Poor craftsman ship at it's best.