Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-03-2012, 03:51 PM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Nor'easters Club
Spartan Chassis
seat belts

Is there any answer to the issue of replacing lapbelt only seat belts with more modern lap and shoulder type?

Thanks any information

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2012, 08:01 PM   #2

You may find that there is no strong anchor points for shoulder type belts. To anchor them in just wood is false security and can get you killed in an accident. You need to really check before you do this. Hope this helps.

Joe

Old 03-03-2012, 09:35 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
my 2005 only has lap belts. I wouldnt bother.
I have been in a violent rv accident and the lap belts made no difference.
Best bet is to keep speeds at 65 or less and make sure your brakes are tip top.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:28 PM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Nor'easters Club
Spartan Chassis
Thanks folks.

I realize that a strong mount point is necessary. While there is no wood in the structure of my Allegro and the side and roof is constructed of square tube steele and sguare tube aluminum, I don't have enough info on stregnth. My hope is that someone who has met and solved the problem could point me in a safe direction.

Thanks again,
Old 03-15-2012, 02:59 AM   #5

I have been thinking along the same lines as you about the belts. My '88 Itasca has lap only and does have a rectangular tube that would work as an anchor point but don't know how it is secured at the top.
I was thinking of making a large "L" with a diagonal brace and secure the bottom leg to the floor and the vertical leg to the existing tube.

Don't know if these are made anymore but my new 1973 Plymouth Scamp had a lap belt with a shoulder belt that attached to the lap buckle. The shoulder belt did not have to be used with this set-up.This would allow the existing lap belt mounting points to be used.
If the shoulder belt did not hold the lap belt would be unaffected and still hold.
Old 03-15-2012, 05:36 AM   #6

Send a message via Skype™ to GSGracie
Looking into the same thing with our 34' Mirada. We only have lap belts and although we are high up and much safer than in a car, I want lap and diagonal belts. The best option I can see is to get a seat with lap and diagonal built in - a captains chair, and get the mounts strengthened to take it. It is going to be expensive but worth it in the long run. We may only replace the drivers chair as the strengthening may mean that we can no longer rotate the chair. Not sure yet, will keep you posted.
Old 03-16-2012, 01:31 PM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Nor'easters Club
Spartan Chassis
I did write the manufacturer but got no reply.

A company called wesco performance has a number of soloutions. I bought a set that have a lap belt that is independently latched and goes in the same position as the old and also has shoulder restraints that go over the back of the seats if they are the the proper type. Again if the shoulder belts don't function the lap belt remains.

The they also have a three point type that can be retrofitted into older cars using the roof post. Thanks
Old 03-16-2012, 02:03 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I am a firm believer in seat belts so I will never suggest you forget them.

However Lap belts are very good, If your dash is padded on the passenger side they are nearly as good as lap/shoulder. If you are going to go to the trouble of an upgrade a full racing harness is the only upgrade worth it.

The driver has the steering wheel to act as a "Sholder belt"

But it's truly the lap belt that saves your life. Air bags injure you and sholder belts.. Well they do help some, how much depends on how big you are.
Old 03-16-2012, 05:54 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillboy View Post
Is there any answer to the issue of replacing lapbelt only seat belts with more modern lap and shoulder type?

Thanks any information
I have lap and shoulder built into my seat. My seats are designed to spin around so that they can face front or back. As such I can't see any other way that I would be able to mount them and have the seats be able to move like that.
Old 03-16-2012, 06:07 PM   #10

I have a strange seat belt warning sticker next to my couch. The couch has seat belts installed but a sticker installed at the back of the couch says "Seat not usable when coach is in motion." Huh??????????????
Old 03-16-2012, 09:30 PM   #11

toneumanns, if the couch doubles as a bed this could be the reason for the sticker. We have that same warning on the rear bed in our coach.