Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:27 AM   #1

Florida Cooters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Seat cover alternative for older (or newer?) coaches.

I know I posted this in my remodel thread, but I figured I'd put it up in another thread for passerbys looking to change the look of their driver's and passengers seats. If you've found a good alternative to replacement, it would be nice to share that here as well.

A coach the age of mine just doesn't merit the $1000.00 expense of new captain's chairs. At least in my humble opinion. However, when you make the coach "your own", often times we are left with seats, like mine, that are faded and don't match all the shiny new stuff inside. The alternatives on the market are of course replacement, or recovering by an upholstery ship, which I understand is almost just as expensive. A lot of you really savvy DIY'ers can recover your own, but for the rest of us, we need seat covers. I looked at the ones available from the online camping stores like CampingWorld, but they don't get great reviews and, at $80.00 plus shipping, you still don't know if they will fit until you try them on. Others are available, but those were the cheapest I found as they're on "Clearance Sale". So, what's left to do? I happen to get sent to Wal Mart quite often, so I thought I'd visit their Automotive Section and have a look at theirs. What I found was labeled "Truck/Van" covers and at less than $35.00 for the pair, knowing that Wal Mart has a very liberal return policy, I figured why not give them a try. So....on with the pics.

First, here's what we started with; a faded Mauve that's almost bled into a reddish/orangey color. Not torn, but ugly;

And here's the seat with the cover on;

There are unzipped zippers on the sides in this picture that are there for getting around integrated seatbelts. It leaves a little of the original seat exposed so I'll need to either dye the seat or add a piece of similar material or maybe just sew the hole closed.

On the back, you can see that these covers hide the factory seat pocket. In my case, I found that to be very handy for maps, etc. so my plan is to cut the stitching from the factory cover and attach it to my new cover. In my case I was lucky that the backs of the original chairs are tan so there's no need to dye it, but that's the route I would've taken if that hadn't been the case. You can also see the openings in this pic for the seatbelts which my coach doesn't have.

So, with a little modification and creativity, the "Truck/Van" covers are a win, at least for seats like mine. With a neutral interior color on the walls and cabin carpeting, I think these look just fine. Plus, it's nice to know that you're sitting on something "new" and it blends better with all the effort of updating the interior. Now, what alternatives have you found?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2013, 01:29 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Went to walmart.com and searched for "truck/van" covers and found all kinds except yours. Do you have a part number, walmart number, mfr., or anything else which might help stupid me? Thanks

Old 02-18-2013, 05:43 PM   #3

Florida Cooters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Scooter, I left the box in the coach which is at the storage place. I'll go by there on the way home tomorrow as I need to get something out anyway and bring it home so I can post the #'s. It might just be they didn't have the color as all the other ones at my local WM were black/gray. This was the only tan/brownish box they had. I'm sure they're online though.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:20 PM   #4

Florida Cooters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
As requested, here's the SKU # in picture form for the covers.
First, the front with the name;

Gotta make sure they're the "Big Truck" version (which is what makes them more costly than the others I suppose)
And the Wal-Mart SKU;

I'm sure like a lot of their products, it's a "Wal Mart Brand" thingy, but I hope that helps.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:27 PM   #5

For the map pouch, Why not cut the seat cover where the pouch is located and then sew it to the map slot currently there. Would look good and be less work!
Old 02-21-2013, 12:32 PM   #6

Florida Cooters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Because that would allow the back of the cover to creep up and not look so good. Plus, you still have the pocket under the cover, which you can tell in the photo is rather obvious.

Removing the pocket should be a piece of cake, as will sewing it on the cover.