Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-17-2018, 03:56 AM   #1

Seeking Advice on Vintage Brands - Years

I just joined and need help deciphering between several brands of used RVs. Someone in the general forum recommended I approach the folks here - Vintage RV forum. I am seeking a used RV that has an engine easy to find parts for and get repaired if needed, solid chasis, 40 foot or under, class A, deisel, no slides bcs view those as problematic in the year/budget I am seeking (aprx $60k budget). My considerations have been Country Coach (Affinity), Monaco (Crown Royal, Dynasty), Bluebird (Wanderlodge) w Series 60 engines only, Foretravel, and Prevost (post 1994 w Series 60) to some degree albeit more than I want to spend on my first coach. I find one I like then read a post that tubulars rusted and batt or LP tank fell thru — or — engine parts hard to find along w/ tech support to service the engine, etc. I’ll appreciate advice about the brands I have listed and reality of getting a circa 1998 coach that will serve me well . Am I trying to fit a square peg into a round hole with my expectations and budget? Headed for a disaster? Tks in advance.
RV Gato is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2018, 10:14 AM   #2

I have a 1992 Monaco Signature 40' Crown Royale. I would not trade it for a Prevost! I am on the road at least once a month for 4-10 days. Owned it 10 years and have never had a motor/drivetrain issue. I am in the outboard motor business and I do my own maintenance. I have all the injectors out being rebuilt, but ONLY because I wanted to, not because it needed it. No Slides and No Leaks!! Mid-Entry, very hard to find in a diesel. I know/knew where there was another the same year in Okeechobee, Fl. I am actually headed to Okeechobee KOA in 21 weeks to meet friends with a Mountain Aire to ride motorcycles. The Newmar is a 2013 and I have to help Jeff on many trips to clear "Computer Issues"!! DON'T consider "Too New" unless maintenance costs are not an issue!
harleyron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 06:16 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
Any 1998 diesel engine will most likely be a Cummins or a Cat with an Allison tranny; plenty of good diesel shops to work on them and no issues with parts availability.

Shouldn't be any issues with slides in a 1998 either, particularly if you look for hydraulic rather than electric.

It may look dismaying to you to see so many posts about problems people are having with their coaches, but remember nobody posts saying "Hey, all systems nominal; working just fine!" Folks post here looking for help, but it certainly is going to skew your perception of how often and what kind of RVs have problems.

And there are NO motor homes, not one, not the newest or fanciest or most expensive that won't have issues and things that break. Just like a boat, they take constant maintenance; it is just the nature of the beast.
HoneyBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 12:01 AM   #4

Great advice and summary of my current state of mind thank you both for your comments. I have narrowed it down to two main companies: Foretravel and Country Coach. Bluebird was up there but I fear the systems on a Bluebird are more than I want to take on. The Country Coach getting my attention is a 1999 Intrigue (and there are other models - Affinity - that I also like) and the Foretravel in just about all of them - heard great things about their design and ride. Prices, miles, etc are all over the board!
Old 11-26-2018, 07:32 AM   #5

American Coach Owners Club
american coach

I just bought a 98 american dream, and have had only a couple issues with learnign how something worked. It drives like a dream, awesome power in the mountains of VA and TN, and looks soo nice inside. I didn't know fleetwood made a luxury brand but this thing looks like almost new inside with white leather and blond oak cabinetry and cedar lined closet.
just adding a thought for your review.
nukid68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 04:39 PM   #6

I know you mentioned no slides but I am so glad I have one (only one). On my 97 I have a 30" (figure the depth of a couch) slide which pretty much doubles our living area in the kitchen, dinette, living room. With the slide out it becomes like a hotel room: living room/dining room/kitchen with plenty of room plus enclosed bathroom and enclosed bedroom. Just like any of the hotel rooms (maybe even better than some) I stayed in during my business career. We love it. My friends have an 18" slide where I have a 30" - big difference.
No major engine or tranny problems so far. Anything could happen any time, so can't worry about it.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 06:15 PM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKins View Post
I know you mentioned no slides but I am so glad I have one (only one). On my 97 I have a 30" (figure the depth of a couch) slide which pretty much doubles our living area in the kitchen, dinette, living room. With the slide out it becomes like a hotel room: living room/dining room/kitchen with plenty of room plus enclosed bathroom and enclosed bedroom. Just like any of the hotel rooms (maybe even better than some) I stayed in during my business career. We love it. My friends have an 18" slide where I have a 30" - big difference.
No major engine or tranny problems so far. Anything could happen any time, so can't worry about it.
I agree with you about the slide; my '97 Gulf Stream DP has a single 36" deep living/dining room slide with nice windows on the sides, and its amazing how spacious and comfortable it makes the coach. There is a big difference in utility with the skinny slides vs the deep ones vs none at all. We full-timed for 6 years in a coach with no slides, and thought it was fine. But now, I'd never go back..
Old 11-27-2018, 06:23 PM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Gato View Post
Great advice and summary of my current state of mind thank you both for your comments. I have narrowed it down to two main companies: Foretravel and Country Coach. Bluebird was up there but I fear the systems on a Bluebird are more than I want to take on. The Country Coach getting my attention is a 1999 Intrigue (and there are other models - Affinity - that I also like) and the Foretravel in just about all of them - heard great things about their design and ride. Prices, miles, etc are all over the board!
Miles in a diesel are kind of a non-issue. Diesel engines can go half a million miles with proper care, so the difference between 40K, 80K and 120K is pretty minimal in the lifespan of a coach. Less is not necessarily better, since it can mean an unused and uncared for coach with belts and hoses and fluids and tires all aged out.

FAR more important is how its been maintained; in fact, this is more important than anything else, including brand. If the seller can show you maintenance records and receipts, plus get an OK from a reputable diesel shop before you buy, you're liable to be much happier with your purchase.

Even as old as these coaches are, the cost is not trivial. I would rather purchase a mid-range coach with impeccable service records over a top of the line rig with spotty maintenance.
Old 11-27-2018, 06:36 PM   #9

Newbie here, with a 2000 Monaco Dynasty 40 I’ve had for six weeks and put 3,000 miles on. My first RV of any kind.

Lots to share about the experience, but to the slides: it has two, both roadside. BUT, and this is the main reason we own this particular coach, my wife can get her wheelchair from the copilot seat to the dinette table, head, shower, and on into the queen bed WITH THE SLIDES FULLY RETRACTED!

We love having slides we don’t actually need, ever.
RiverBurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 08:23 PM   #10

Luxury Pre-Owned Motorhome Dealer for Foretravel Newell Country Coach.
Couple here you might like. The 320 models will have the ISM 450 hp engine, nice if you do a lot of mountain driving or have a big toad.
Old 11-27-2018, 11:09 PM   #11

You folks are great! I am glad I joined this forum because of the help and advice.
I am ok w/ slides. The beginner (layman's) take is that slides are problems, but after seeing so many RVs, I now see that most have them and hopefully any problems have been engineered out or addressed.
Thanks for the Motorhomes of Texas site - I communicate with that group and try to keep up to speed on availability of their coaches. I have narrowed it down to Foretravel, Beaver, Country Coach, and to some degree Monaco (all w/ slides). The 2 capturing my attention now are: Beaver Monterey (2005), Country Coach Intrigue (40' 2002), Foretravel 320s (but spouse has issue w/ non-private toilet), and Monaco Dynasty (2006). Beaver Patriot Thunder is also on the list. Prices are ALL over the board - comparing miles to year to features to ... there is no correlation (includes dealers and private sellers).
Also, I just want to point out - I understand the advice about getting copies of the service records; however, that is darn hard to do! All those that I have asked do not have all the records. These used coaches have 2 to 3 owners, and the records were not passed down. The best I can get is that the current owner has kept up on their service since buying it from the next person and Voila. Thank you again for your comments!
Old 11-28-2018, 01:56 PM   #12

Mine is cheap to maintain still looks awesome for 21 years old. Has a Detroit series 40

mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 11:57 AM   #13

Your process of coach buying sounds a lot like mine when I was looking. I had narrowed my list to foretravel, country coach, Monaco and fleetwood discovery (seemed to be a lot of those). I ended up with a Safari Serengeti which was close by. It was a wide body and the wife and I thought there was plenty of room without having a slide. The Safari was simple to me.. a non electronic bosch pump on a Cummins C series engine, no air suspension or air brakes and aluminum siding with stainless steel all around the lower section the coach. So far so good but there are a lot good features on all the rigs you mentioned. Mine has a front door and a mid door which I guess is a little different but I like that setup.
waspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 08:15 AM   #14

My Mid-Entry is very rare in a diesel. I wouldn't trade it for anything. I have spent too many rainy days in a campground BBQing as usual without having to run out in the rain to get in the coach. In my style of camping everything is "Outside", 3 burner gas grill and 2 burner gas stove all plumbed into the coach. The "Main" reason people go in is usually one of two things, refrigerator or bathroom. With the mid-entry you can go to either without tracking on the living room carpet and stay on hardwood floors! It also makes a great spot to park the motorcycle under the awning and still not in the way!!
harleyron is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, vintage