Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 06-30-2012, 06:52 AM   #15
Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
what a bummer! if you have insurance maybe they will cover it. good luck

beaudrya786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2012, 07:13 AM   #16
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I think your best bet is to try a RV salvage dealer, there have got to be quite a few these around that are being parted out.

Burns & Diane
2005 Winnebago Aspect 26A/2012 Subaru Impreza toad
Illinois! - Where the politicians make the license plates......
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 04:59 AM   #17
The good news is, it's paid for (?). And you have the rest of your life to fix it up and fart around with it. I broke my drivers side window by leaning a step ladder against the rubber edge. A $1000 mistake. I'm ignoring it because it's not in my line of sight. All my coach needed was everything and I'm getting there. New fiberglass roof, re bedded all the windows, new paint, new clearance lights, new interior and my latest a PD9460 converter. I'd rather work like a dog and live like a student than have MH payments.
1990/2014 30ft Gulf Stream Sun Clipper
and a couple of bikes
exit 100 NJ
PeterS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 10:24 PM   #18
New to the forum, but an old hand at making used stuff work. As Big Daddy Don Garlits likes to say, "I hate new parts". Ebay, Craigslist, salvage yards - I'd check them all out before I'd drop more than the cost of the vehicle on windshields. Having someone fit them wouldn't be too expensive if you can pick up some good used glass. Don't despair - older vehicles have a habit of making you learn new skills. It's part of the fun
Sorry you didn't see this one coming, but you shouldn't beat yourself up too badly. Nobody sees every curve ball heading their way.
jacksdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 10:42 PM   #19
Some basic sales translation:

I haven't used that in a while I forgot how it works= It's broken!

I just had it at the service station and had the mechanic thoroughly look it over= I was getting gas at the gas station and the mechanic said my motor home looked good as he stood 150 feet away.

It gets 10-12mpg= I don't know what kind of mileage it gets because I only used it twice.

That will only cost $ to get replaced and/ or repaired= that will only cost $$$$$$$$$$$$ to get repaired.

I got to go with Eddie on this.....trust know one and only believe half of what you see. The average seller's main goal is to sell said product as quickly as possible for the highest price that someone will pay. The last thing on there mind is your best interest. I've learned the hard way more than a few times.
Winnebeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:04 PM   #20
At first I just read you title and my gut feeling was hey these vintage RV's are all projects of some sort or another that cost money to fix.The key motivation why people get involved in them is normally you can get into them and RV'ing cheaply.It isn't what the repair costs that is so important,it is surely the comparison of what a new unit would cost and that is a huge ouch,ouch,ouch!!!.

So moving forward,get you windshields repaired and move on.Don't worry about what you did or if you made a mistake.That is history,and now you know the main reason behind a vintage RV.
The one thing about a do over is you get to do what you knew in the first place.
fleamarketer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:30 PM   #21
This was posted back in October, but might be worth a look. It's a little unclear whether they were selling or searching for parts. Hope it helps.

Used Winnebago Parts Leads October 05, 2011*(i.e. *Windshield Glass, *Windshield Glass)
jacksdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:45 PM   #22
Originally Posted by sequimphil View Post
I bought a 87 winnebago elanden on monday,both windshields are cracked the seller told me oh I checked and you can replace both sides for 375.What a lie that doesn't even cover one side for just the glass,I am going to end up paying almost as much to replace the windshield as I did for the coach.
Quite the start to my rving experience,just one more bad thing to mention now I have found out I need a new hitch cause my pick up is to heavy for the one on the rig already.
The best part is there is only one way to go from here and that is up

I like your name, are you from Sequim??

Sequim Guy is offline   Reply With Quote