Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-03-2012, 10:23 PM   #1

Sewer Hose Storage Compartment

I just got done installing my new sewer hose storage compartment and figured that I would share some photos with everyone.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sewer Hose Storage Compartment 001.jpg
Views:	557
Size:	345.0 KB
ID:	25643
I conveniently mounted the my new sewer hose storage compartment right next to the sewer drain fitting.

Name:	Sewer Hose Storage Compartment 002.jpg
Views:	806
Size:	237.2 KB
ID:	25644
Here is a close up of it with the door closed.

Name:	Sewer Hose Storage Compartment 003.jpg
Views:	3896
Size:	224.3 KB
ID:	25645
Close up with the door open.

Name:	Sewer Hose Storage Compartment 004.jpg
Views:	429
Size:	393.4 KB
ID:	25646
You can see that I made everything from ABS and PVC, so it does not rust or corrode. Almost all of the fasteners that I used are aluminum except for a few. I figure if those start to rust or corrode I will replace them with stainless.

Name:	Sewer Hose Storage Compartment 005.jpg
Views:	744
Size:	359.5 KB
ID:	25647
I made a receptacle to hold the sewer pipe adapter securely.

Name:	Sewer Hose Storage Compartment 006.jpg
Views:	563
Size:	358.4 KB
ID:	25648
Directly behind the sewer pipe adapter is a storage compartment for the elbow that attaches to it. Behind that is the main storage compartment that allows for the storage of two 10' sewer hoses with fitting and caps attached.

Name:	Sewer Hose Storage Compartment 007.jpg
Views:	4523
Size:	535.4 KB
ID:	25649
This is a photo of the storage drawer completely slid out. You can see that it comfortably fits all the attachments and both 10' sewer hose with the ends and caps installed.

Name:	Sewer Hose Storage Compartment 008.jpg
Views:	974
Size:	161.2 KB
ID:	25650
I made aluminum mounting brackets to mount the sewer hose storage compartment to the frame of the motorhome.

All in all I am very pleased with the way it turned out and extremely happy that I no longer have to store the sewer hose and all the attachments with other items in one of my few storage compartments.

I am curious what others think and if you were building one for your motorhome is there anything that you would change or add to it (please be honest I can take it). I ask because I am going to build one for my in-laws and if there is some room for improvement I would like to incorporate it into the one I build for them.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2012, 10:48 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
It looks good

Old 09-03-2012, 11:07 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
I strapped a White PVC pipe (with holes along the length) and strapped it to the 5ers legs. Works great, just unscrew the end and pop out the pipe. Yours looks a lot more "Professional".....nice job...What are the parts? I think I see an evestrough?
Old 09-04-2012, 12:28 AM   #4

Mirbigfella- Thank you. Fred1609- Thank you. I used 5" square vinyl fence post with two end caps, a vinyl rain gutter, some 1/4" ABS, hinges, drawer knobs, aluminum rivets and aluminum flat bar. I was thinking about making another one to mount next to it, but fabricate some cradles in the drawer to support a couple fishing poles. They always seem to be in the way when we travel.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:48 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I couldn't tell from the pictures but it appears like it is close to the rear of the the RV and I'm wondering about it dragging when you come out of gas stations, etc.

Otherwise it's a pretty good install. Well done.
Old 09-04-2012, 01:02 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
I couldn't tell from the pictures but it appears like it is close to the rear of the the RV and I'm wondering about it dragging when you come out of gas stations, etc.

Otherwise it's a pretty good install. Well done.
Great idea! It is close to the rear, it's only about 3' from the rear bumper. I did think about that and used a string from the bottom of a rear tire to the lowest point under the rear bumper and there is a couple of inches of clearance. Hopefully that is enough to keep it on my motorhome and not some street somewhere.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:44 AM   #7

I was taking a look at the pictures that I posted and realized that it looks much closer to the ground than it would be during travel. That is because I park the motorhome in my driveway which have a steep slant, so the front of the motorhome is lifted pretty high to get the motorhome level. This causes the rear of the motorhome to be atleast 10-12" closer to the ground than normal.

Name:	Sewer Hose Storage Compartment 010.jpg
Views:	1265
Size:	306.1 KB
ID:	25672
Old 09-04-2012, 09:56 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Great install !

I want to do the same to my 5'er, but none of the Home depot's or lowe's have the fence post like you used....

started to get the round pvc with holes in it, but didn't think my end cap would fit into there.... still looking for a source so I can get that stinky stuff out of the basement (even though it's in a sealed plastic tub - I don't like it there!)
Old 09-04-2012, 09:59 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
This is the kind of project that makes this forum great. Almost anyone can buy a thinge and install it. But coming up with something that is home made and designed is fantastic.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:05 AM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
One question. I don't see a latch on the access door. I could see going around a sharp curve and the hose assy. pushing the door open. Is there a latch?
Old 09-04-2012, 01:53 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
One question. I don't see a latch on the access door. I could see going around a sharp curve and the hose assy. pushing the door open. Is there a latch?
First, Winnebeater what a Great job !! This is on my list to do, and I'll for sure revisit this before I start. Thanks for sharing it !
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 02:16 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Great job. Only thing I see wrong is that it is too clean. You need to get out and field test it.
Thanks for the ideas. This is on my list of things to do as well.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 02:51 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler
No there is no latch. The end caps are held closed by the pressure from the rivets that attach the hinges. Those same rivets also put pressure on the drawer too. I designed it to open on both side for easier clean out should I need to and if I close the door on one side and try push the drawer as hard as I can from the other side I can not get the other door to open at all. The drawer does not easily move out, it takes just enough force to move it so that it is not difficult, but hard enough that it won't move easily. The end caps are a very snug fit as well. My kids can not open them, but with a little effort I can. I won't get a chance to road test it until November, but when I do I will let everyone know how it goes. I'm making a couple more; one for my in-laws and one for some other folks that want one.If they test it out before me I will let everyone know what they thought.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:00 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnebeater View Post
No there is no latch. I won't get a chance to road test it until November, but when I do I will let everyone know how it goes.
I stated that I would let everyone know how the sewer hose storage container did on the road and I have taken a few short trips since the install and have had no issues. Everything stay in place and is easily accessible when needed.

Tags
storage