Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-18-2017, 11:26 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Shakedown cruise, 1989 Rockwood Prestige

We bought "Clora Mae" this past spring, some of you may have seen my posts about her before. She's a 32" class A, John Deere chassis, Ford 460 engine. Full upgrade package from dealership, 33k miles on her, originally $93,000 price tag.

Norcold fridge/freezer, dual ceiling ac with heat package, propane furnace & 4 burner stove, microwave/convection oven, ice maker, built in blender, coffee maker, cedar lined closet, oak front cabinets. All plumbing works, even the tv & vcr works.

We got her for a song at $5,000, expect to put another $5,000-10,000 into her as we restore her. She'd been sitting derelict in the elements for the past 5 years, no re-sealing of roof or seams. Minor water damage, minor rodent damage had to be dealt with straight away. We've been working on her every chance we've had. She's been in the shop twice: new brakes the first time, new engine ac the second. Two days ago, put upgraded propane tank valve on her.

Everything seems to work except the Onan generator. We may need to rebuild or replace it. But for this first trip, we are going to a nearby state park with shore power, so the generator can wait for now. We leave Sunday and come back Wednesday. It'll probably be the only trip we take in her until next spring, but I'll be working on sewing/ remodeling projects over the winter.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170523_161940.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	180332Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170806_145711.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	180333Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170806_144127.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	180334Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170530_171352.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	180335Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170530_170737.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	180336
RVM#169 | Charlene & Allen | Rig: 1989 Rockwood Prestige 32' Class A, "Clora Mae" | John Deere Chassis/Ford 460 engine.
RetroGrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2017, 06:14 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Looks very nice. What a steal.

I have an older MH and the Zep wet look floor polish does a great job on making the rig look nice without too much work.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 07:06 AM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ocknewbie, thank you! We thought she was a steal, too.

The exterior fiberglass has an old gel coat on it, possibly the original, but at a minimum 5 years ago, which hasn't been kept up, and so it has weathered and crackled. She needs to be all scrubbed and sanded down - a major job we thought should be saved for next year. But then when we do it, we'll certainly look into that Zep. Is it a commercial home product like you'd find at Wal-Mart, or a home improvement store?
RVM#169 | Charlene & Allen | Rig: 1989 Rockwood Prestige 32' Class A, "Clora Mae" | John Deere Chassis/Ford 460 engine.
Old 10-19-2017, 07:21 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroGrandma View Post
.... Is it a commercial home product like you'd find at Wal-Mart, or a home improvement store?
I think you'll find a gallon of it at Home Depot for about $30. That would last a long time. If you have a few hours you could just use simple green to clean up the MH and then 4 very thin coats of Zep. It will shine. Not perfect solution but it does work.

Good luck!
Old 10-19-2017, 08:14 AM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
So I was talking with hubby, who said he'd already purchased Meguiar's marine wax for next year. So there we go!
Old 10-21-2017, 03:04 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Charlene,

She is a beauty! We too bought a used rig and ours was badly neglected on the outside. Lots of oxidizing. So I used McGuire's compound to de-oxidize the outside (had to go over it twice) and then did the Zep (5 coats) and she shines like new.

You pick your battles with these babies. Roof, tires, engine take precedence over new covers but then you get to those too.

We replaced the radio which was not working, replaced the TV with a flat screen even though it was working and added a HD antenna to the old batwing antenna.

You will learn your rig as you use her, make a few mistakes, learn a few things, and enjoy the journey. Camping is wonderful!

There is a 10 yr rules at some CG's (camp grounds) where they won't take a rig over 10 yrs without a picture being sent so they can see it is NOT a junker. So take a picture so you have it (after you get her cleaned up).

Keep reading, there is a lot of info here that will be a big help in the future. Lynne
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 11:15 AM   #7

Unless you are planing to go to a very high end RV Resort, the age rule is not an issue. BIL Matt (a 73 GMC) ran into it once in 15 years and 120K miles, but I never have and I have another 40yo coach that is not beautiful by any stretch.

For the generator, don't go to an Onan shop. Go to a small engine shop. They have lots of experience with Onans.

Frank
F76Marion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 07:06 PM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Lynne, thanks for the ditto on the Meguiar's and the Zep. Glad that's going to work! Picking your battles - yep that's so true.

That 10 year rule probably won't affect us, much. We have always stayed at public campgrounds, and they generally don't ask how old your rig is. Our old girl has a very prominent nose, so she won't be mistaken for a pretty young thing, anytime soon!

Small engine shop for the generator - got it. Thanks, Frank.

Charlene
Old 10-24-2017, 06:11 AM   #9

That is a sharp looking rig! It has a very nice color scheme. Hope you enjoy the shake down!
Old 10-24-2017, 07:13 AM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Thanks, Jollycamper!

Our camping trip so far:
Allen's insulin never arrived back home.
Refrigerator in the RV went out.
Tail lights in the RV went out.
Dash lights in the RV went out.
Water heater has now gone out.
My phone got black screen of death.
There's no cell reception at campground.
It started to rain just as we got to the disc golf course.
Cross winds got under my rain fly and flipped my disc golf cart out of the truck on a county road.

Fortunately, all these things are minor. We're having a great trip, we're safe, and we've been flexible to find alternatives. 😀😀😀
Old 10-24-2017, 07:54 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroGrandma View Post
........Fortunately, all these things are minor. We're having a great trip, we're safe, and we've been flexible to find alternatives. ������
You are made for RV'ing. Actually, with your attitude you could probably do anything and have way more good days than bad.

Youtube will help with many of the repairs if you're reasonable handy..... or just willing.
Old 10-25-2017, 05:28 AM   #12

I would say you are gonna make it! If you haven't burned it to the ground yet then there is definitely hope!
Old 10-25-2017, 05:44 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Charlene,

I read what you have been through and laugh a bit because each one of us has been through our own experiences.

Our first 24 hrs in our rig was very interesting because we knew nothing about a RV. I took a cold shower because I did not know I needed to turn the water heater on. I laugh about it now but it was COLD.

First time we turned the stove on we were a bit unsure because it didn't light at first. Didn't know it took a bit to get through the line. We figured it out.

I started reading the manuals and yes, I have read it cover to cover. I marked things I thought were pertinent so I could find them again when needed.

The PO (previous owner) cut $5,000. off the price because there was an "electrical issue". She had extension cords ran from plugs to other areas because the plugs there did not work. Do you know how much a fuse costs? Like 0.75, took two of them to fix the "electrical issue".

We all have our little trials but I think you love this as much as I do. I can deal with the little issues because there is nothing better than being out in the woods.

Twice we have ran into the 10 yr rule. Both were regular CG's. Guess it depends on where you go. I prefer the more rustic Mom & Pop places so look for those. Like my camp fires and no lights at night and quiet. We got in with the picture of the rig.

Maybe some day you and hubby can make a M&G and we can sew together or just sit around a camp fire.

Take care, Lynne
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 09:28 AM   #14

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by okcnewbie View Post
You are made for RV'ing.
I cracked up when I read that!! Yeah, we have been talking seriously about full time RV life after he retires, 9 years from now. Those discussions started a year ago, and in spite of all the problems this trip, it's not only still on the table, it's a stronger possibility.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyCamper View Post
I would say you are gonna make it! If you haven't burned it to the ground yet then there is definitely hope!
hahahahah. Yeah, nope, hadn't even considered torching her. If anything, this trip will be a fond memory, in part because of all the problems.

Besides, it's rained most of the trip, so she wouldn't have burned anyway!! Lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamisl View Post
Charlene,

I read what you have been through and laugh a bit because each one of us has been through our own experiences.
Yep that's why being in a group like this is so important! It puts everything in perspective.

Quote:
Our first 24 hrs in our rig was very interesting because we knew nothing about a RV. I took a cold shower because I did not know I needed to turn the water heater on. I laugh about it now but it was COLD.
Haha, you poor thing! Hahaha. Isn't it good to be able to laugh about it? Heck, haven't we had our fair share of cold showers in the CG shower?

So when we bought Clora Mae, we were disappointed to see she had a shower tub. Allen and I are both tall folks, and he's broad shouldered. So that tiny thing is basically unusable for him. But we were tent campers for decades, and he's prior army, so trekking over to the CG shower is nothing for him. But me, on the other hand.... I hate trekking to the CG shower. I said I'd rather put up with the tiny RV shower and make that work.

And then the water heater went out, hahaha. So my solution? A collapsible bucket and boiling water on the stovetop. I was perfectly content to sponge bathe. I've got really dry hair, so only need to use the CG shower for hair washing day. Other than that? I'm content with the bucket until we fix the water heater.

I did want to see if we could remodel the shower, to put in a shower pan instead, but was disappointed to find that its right atop the wheel well. So okay, that's why its a shower tub. Moving the shower elsewhere in the RV would be a major renovation, so for now.... it is what it is.

Quote:
We all have our little trials but I think you love this as much as I do. I can deal with the little issues because there is nothing better than being out in the woods.
Or mountains. Or beach. Or desert. Yeah pretty much have loved camping as far back as I can remember. Shoot, I even dreamed once that Allen, Jesus and I were camping on some riverbank of a distant planet in the hereafter...

Quote:
Maybe some day you and hubby can make a M&G and we can sew together or just sit around a camp fire.

Take care, Lynne
I think I'd like that! Though I expect he'll be harder to convince. He doesn't have any investment in this group, and really no interest. He"s a bit of an introverted old codger until he gets to know people. But the more we travel and the more I talk about folks from here, the more inclined he'll be to indulge me. >wink<

Charlene