Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-30-2013, 09:09 AM   #1

sharing some roof sealing info

i did a search before posting this on forum and was surprised that no one has used this product in this forum.
i just finished resealing my metal roof on my class c well it was yesterday but you get my drift, I've been meaning to due this since i bought it but have kept it in side until now.
it spent it's life in the desert so no leaks but i had to park it outside while i wait on the carburetor to get built and shipped back to me but that's another story.
what i used is vulkem 801 we use it on our over the road trailers at work you use a paint brush or roller an it goes on like a thick paint it isn't the silver stuff you buy at lowes this is a true wonderful product.
we seal the roofs on all of our trailing fleet with this product that amounts to about 60,000 pieces of equipment and we coat all repairs also.
clean the area free of loose debris and coat over the old sealer if it isn't ridiculously bad if it is clean it up.
i coated the seams and around all roof penetrations and the top portion where my rear cap rolls to met the roof as it was starting to deteriorate from the sun.
not trying to sell this stuff but it is a life saver it saved my company's bacon as we were losing loads due to water leaks until we started using it many years ago.
you will have to do a little research to find it and a gallon will more then due a normal roof it is a little pricy at $50 or so but it will stop your water leaks which is how they say priceless
just wanting to share something that might make life a little easier

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2013, 10:24 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwf16129 View Post
what i used is vulkem 801 we use it on our over the road trailers at work you use a paint brush or roller an it goes on like a thick paint it isn't the silver stuff you buy at lowes this is a true wonderful product.
<snip>
just wanting to share something that might make life a little easier
Does it contain petroleum distillates? If so, it is not suitable for sealing around polycarbonate skylights.

Pop

Old 04-30-2013, 02:21 PM   #3

took some digging but is a hydrotreated heavy naphthenic distillateso i would say good call it is a petroleum based product i never got any on my skylights just on the mounting frams so probably want to avoid getting on any polymer
based items
Old 05-01-2013, 03:10 PM   #4

Sounds like a great product, but can I use it around the vents (fridge, black tank, etc)?
Old 05-01-2013, 07:44 PM   #5

i have used this for many years you can coat around the vents and over the flanges i have done this with no problems we have even coated a cracked vent cover and it held until we could replace it.
it goes inert very quickly i sealed all my flanges and basically every possible point that could leak on my roof.
if you let it get on a polycarbonate type material it might cause it to deteriorate over time so just coat up to the edge and keep it off of any skylights.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:05 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Vulkem 801 is a Canadian product manufactured by TremCo
Tremco Commercial Sealants and Waterproofing

Tremco Sealants - YouTube

MSDS http://www.tremcosealants.com/filesh...712A_805_U.pdf

Tags
roof