Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-30-2011, 06:58 PM   #15

You obviously got the adjustable Konis, the FSDs are not adjustable.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2011, 10:19 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard View Post
You opted for Koni's over Bilstein's for price. Koni's cost 4 times as much as Bilsteins when I bought my Koni's but everyone said they was 4 times better.
I have a P30 Chevy chassis. I found the Koni's for $40.00 a shock and the Bilstein's were around $80.00 a shock. I'm on a tight budget, my motorhome is 27 years old and I am trying to renovate and rebuild it with a realistic amount of investment. You can look at as I only saved $80.00 or as I view it, I spent half the price to get shocks. Maybe I am confusing the model of shock I got with another. I do know that the ones that I got are not adjustable, but they do have a variable valve system which dampens differently depending on the road conditions

Old 10-31-2011, 02:20 AM   #17

The Koni FSD for the front of my 1999 Ford F-53 were $189 each, so if you found Konis for $40, I'm guessing they are not the Koni top-of-the-line FSD.
Old 10-31-2011, 02:37 PM   #18

Where can I get 4 Koni FSD 8805-1004 at the best price???? Rog
Old 10-31-2011, 05:05 PM   #19

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Konis are definetly out of my price range. Actually, the Bilsteins are out of my range also for a 24 yr old rig that's only going to get approx 4-5000 miles a year on it. But the Bilsteins made a very noticeable difference on my trucks. Monroe has some RV shocks at a decent price with decent reviews that I might put on for right now (I know you get what you pay for ). They have to be better than what looks like the original shocks on it now.

Also, I'm hoping that the rebuilt front end, and the Hellwig rear sway bar that I'm putting on, will take care of the handling.
Old 11-19-2011, 01:46 PM   #20

I think most of us, when we judge ride quality, are talking about how well the front suspension absorbs bumps & handles dips, since we're sitting on top of the front wheels.

I also think that a big factor to consider is the type of front suspension. The P30 has an independent front suspension with coil springs and air bags, while most of the other chassis have solid axles with leaf springs. Leaf springs have a lot more internal friction than coil springs, so I would expect that, given similar weight on the front suspensions, the leaf spring suspension will be stiffer than the coil springs with the same shocks.

I have Monroes on the front of my P30 & they work fine. I find that varying air bag pressure changes ride quality a lot. stengelbros.com has the best price on Monroes that I found.
Old 11-19-2011, 02:02 PM   #21

I thought I'd weigh in on this since I just replaced my shocks before a 2400 mile round trip to Florida.
I bought the Bilsteins over the Konis for 2 reasons. Price and an article I read testing 3 different shock types on motorhomes. The article stated they noticed no difference between the Konis and Bilsteins.
I have a P32/P30 chassis on a Pace Arrow and I can SWEAR to you that the shocks helped so much that I'm upset I didn't do it earlier. I also added rear bags to the suspension too so that helped as well. But just the front end feel alone was enough for me to swear by Bilstein shocks. I am in the auto repair field and haven't really ever seen a worn out Bilstein shock on a SUV (Blazers and full size GM trucks). They are built to last from what I've encountered.
The original shocks on my motorhome were Monroes and you could physically see the difference comparing their resistance side by side. I've read that the original Monroes are good for about 10K miles. They are not built to handle the load capacity from a motorhome.
The wind interference from trucks and cross winds was even reduced substantially after the shock upgrade. However not completely.
For me, Bilsteins were the way to go.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:38 PM   #22

I just spent $722 for 4 Koni for the front of my 01 38 ft MONACO replacing 4 cheap monrow shocks. we returned from a 2500 mile trip and I feel I threw my $722 away. The new shocks did not improve Handeling or ride. I wish my compiteer could spell better. Roger
Old 11-30-2011, 08:02 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequim Guy View Post
Koni FSD, the best thing for the front end. They made the ride so much better that even my wife was happy.
A few here seem to be confusing HANDLING - steering stability in windy or poor road conditions, with RIDE QUALITY - how soft the ride is over bumps.

In our case, with an older '88 Winnie, we badly needed relief from HANDLING issues - wander in winds and passing trucks. The heavy duty Bilsteins we put on fixed about 95% of that by themselves - and we have NO complaints about the ride quality, either...
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 03:58 PM   #24

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Anybody have any idea which Bilsteins I would need ? I've seen several listed for my year.
Old 12-05-2011, 11:46 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekrsq View Post
Anybody have any idea which Bilsteins I would need ? I've seen several listed for my year.
MANY sources out there in Internet land to help you - do a search on "Bilstein RV shocks", and take your pick!

Here's one such pointer:

Bilstein - KYB - Rancho - Monroe - Edelbrock Automotive Truck Shocks and Struts - Shockwarehouse.com

OH, by the way, if your rig has a steering stabilizer, be sure to check/replace that as well, makes a big difference in steering stability in cross-winds and road bumps...
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 05:59 PM   #26

The leaf springs on the front of the Ford chassis have more internal friction than the coil spring Chevy front end. Some have complained of a rough ride with Bilsteins on the front. The built-in stiffness of the Ford front end makes for an easier job for the shocks. I suspect Monroes would be fine. (They're fine on my Chevy, so they should be fine on the Ford too.)

I've found that the rear affects sway a lot more than the front. I recommend Bilsteins there.
Old 12-20-2011, 05:18 AM   #27

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
That makes sense. But I've got coils on the front. I'm running a class C with an E350 under it. I'm still trying to decide which shocks. Luckily I have till spring to decide, lol.