Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-26-2011, 05:28 PM   #1

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Shock Opinions

I just got my rig out of the front end shop. Replaced radius arm bushings, tie rod ends, sway bar bushings, and the king pins. They said I need new shocks (which I already new). I'll probably do the shocks in the spring, but looking for opinions what everbody is running. I really like Bilsteins (I have them on my personal vehicles), but not sure which model to get, or if there is something comparable for the rig.

For what it's worth, I see a lot of threads on here about "handling fixes" and "sway". Let me say this, on the 25 mile trip home from the front end shop, I noticed a HUGE difference in my rig's handling. It still has a very slight "wonder" when passed by a tractor trailer, but I'm willing to bet it handles as well as it did when brand new. With a decent set of modern shocks, it should be better than new.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2011, 11:04 AM   #2

I opted for the Koni's instead of the Bilstein's and I am very disappointed with them. If I had it to do over I would get the Bilstein's for sure.
Old 10-29-2011, 09:55 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Had Bilsteins on mine, very rough ride, Switched to Koni's and haven't regretted it!They really helped to smooth out the ride!
RovinOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 10:31 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
defintely like bilsteins. Keep whatever you have on there now as backups.
Bilsteins can be revalved to meet your weight/chassis requirements. Just need an RMA and talk with the tech line.
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 01:07 AM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
If you like Bilsteins, then you will prolly be disappointed in the Konis... and vise-versa..
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 01:40 AM   #6

Koni FSD, the best thing for the front end. They made the ride so much better that even my wife was happy.
Sequim Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 05:25 AM   #7

a friend here (jimelliot) just went konis he swears them i just need more cash
dave
whem2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 06:49 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I put the Koni's on my F53 and wished I had my money back to spend on something else.

I saw absolutely no difference in them and the 8 year old Bilsteins.

No improvement at all. Some others state different but just my opinion.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 07:12 AM   #9

I agree with Wizard The shocks (Bilsteins) that came on our 96 class A are original and the ride is fine (for a gasser). Trucks and winds arnt much of a problem although a heavier DP would probably handle them a little better because of weight. But no leaks.. And I;m not even thinking throwing money away just because someone says Kpnis or wharever are better, Tried that on cars and trucks and never noticed the difference. Except in my wallet of course, If their not leaking their probably OK I have always been told.. Just my 2 cents
donandmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 07:18 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Konis on ours with a dramatic difference, replaced at 85K.

Unscientific, I know: Bilsteins might've been even better...
RVNeophytes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 11:54 AM   #11

The ride on a normal stretch of highway is fine with ours. They do ride a bit stiffer than the ones that I replaced, but then again they were completely blown out. I just wish the dampening on the compression stroke was stiffer, so it would resist bottoming out on the larger dips in the road. I have new air bags, new FSD Koni's and a new Henderson bell crank. It tracks great compared to before and definitely holds up against strong wind a lot better. The only reason I opted for the Koni's over the Bilstein's was the price. The only dissatisfaction I have with the Koni's is the ability to resist bottoming out, but maybe that is a unrealistic hope with my motorhome.
Old 10-30-2011, 04:19 PM   #12

wisard thanks as money is tight
whem2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 05:41 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnebeater View Post
The ride on a normal stretch of highway is fine with ours. They do ride a bit stiffer than the ones that I replaced, but then again they were completely blown out. I just wish the dampening on the compression stroke was stiffer, so it would resist bottoming out on the larger dips in the road. I have new air bags, new FSD Koni's and a new Henderson bell crank. It tracks great compared to before and definitely holds up against strong wind a lot better. The only reason I opted for the Koni's over the Bilstein's was the price. The only dissatisfaction I have with the Koni's is the ability to resist bottoming out, but maybe that is a unrealistic hope with my motorhome.
You opted for Koni's over Bilstein's for price. Koni's cost 4 times as much as Bilsteins when I bought my Koni's but everyone said they was 4 times better.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 05:48 PM   #14

Swapped our front Billsteins for Konis and got a dramatically better ride. Especially noticeable on those rough, bone-jarring roads. We considered putting them on front and rear, and Spartan said just the front would improve the ride. Ours are set on medium, BTW.
jdocter7 is offline   Reply With Quote