Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-18-2016, 08:21 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Seattle,WA/HB,CA./Fujieda-Japan
Posts: 19
Shop situation

Arranged an appointment with a shop to have the following items done.

1. Master cylinder replaced (new one)
2. Hose from Master cylinder to proportional valve
3. Both front rotor hub assemblies
4. All brake hoses (3)
5. Front pads
6. Rear shoes
7. Wheel cylinders

I purchased the Master cylinder, Master cylinder hose, both rotor/hub assemblies, front pads and rear shoes from Rock auto. I decided to leave the other items to the mechanic because I was unable to get everything shipped in time for the appointment which was the 17th. Roll forward....I drop the RV off a day early (Aug 16th) about 20mins before they close and leave the parts with them (boxed & labeled). The following morning I missed their call at ~9:00 AM so I call just after 11:00AM (I work graveyard).

The lady I spoke with asked what all we were doing to the RV and made mention that the mechanic was not there yet and had not started. Ok...no problem. I tell her the items I dropped off with the RV need to be installed as well as it needing new brake hoses, (2) rear wheel cylinders and possibly a brake shoe kit. Aside from that everything else I've purchased already. This was also confirmed with her when I dropped it off the previous day.

Roll forward to today (Aug 18th)...I decided to call and check up on the RV. This was approximately 4:00PM or so. I spoke with the same lady and she mentioned the brakes were done but they are waiting for a part (didn't know which/what part) and that the mechanic had gone for the day. So I told her I would call first thing tomorrow morning.

At this point my guess is they are sourcing a hose or hoses given he mentioned when I arranged the appointment originally that he may need to keep the RV an extra day if the part came from Portland (he wasn't certain). At this point it may be nothing but my concern is that he doesn't get the job done on time given I need the RV by no later than Saturday Aug 20th at Lunch (plans to go to Spokane area) and his telling me that he may only need the RV an extra day when I originally scheduled the appointment which was a week prior to when I dropped it off.

I've checked online at 2 different places (NAPA & O'Reillys) that are within walking distance of him (literally) and they have the hoses. So my plan is to confirm what exactly it is he's waiting for. If it's the hose/s I'm going to confirm whether or not he's 100% sure he'll be able to get them and the job done prior to when I leave. If he states he's not sure I'm going to take that as a no and suggest to him that he go to NAPA (next door to him quite literally) and get the hose/s. I was also going to push that it get done even if it means someone coming in on Saturday to complete the job given I was told at worst he might need it only an extra day...not 2+ extra days.

This is one reason I try and do the work myself but time was not on my side this round.

Any other suggestions?
__________________

__________________
1994 Southwind Storm 28ft 7.4L TBI P-30
52,2XX miles and counting...
udidwht is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2016, 08:30 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
CJ7365's Avatar
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Southern NM
Posts: 1,223
Quote:
Originally Posted by udidwht View Post
Arranged an appointment with a shop to have the following items done.

1. Master cylinder replaced (new one)
2. Hose from Master cylinder to proportional valve
3. Both front rotor hub assemblies
4. All brake hoses (3)
5. Front pads
6. Rear shoes
7. Wheel cylinders

I purchased the Master cylinder, Master cylinder hose, both rotor/hub assemblies, front pads and rear shoes from Rock auto. I decided to leave the other items to the mechanic because I was unable to get everything shipped in time for the appointment which was the 17th. Roll forward....I drop the RV off a day early (Aug 16th) about 20mins before they close and leave the parts with them (boxed & labeled). The following morning I missed their call at ~9:00 AM so I call just after 11:00AM (I work graveyard).

The lady I spoke with asked what all we were doing to the RV and made mention that the mechanic was not there yet and had not started. Ok...no problem. I tell her the items I dropped off with the RV need to be installed as well as it needing new brake hoses, (2) rear wheel cylinders and possibly a brake shoe kit. Aside from that everything else I've purchased already. This was also confirmed with her when I dropped it off the previous day.

Roll forward to today (Aug 18th)...I decided to call and check up on the RV. This was approximately 4:00PM or so. I spoke with the same lady and she mentioned the brakes were done but they are waiting for a part (didn't know which/what part) and that the mechanic had gone for the day. So I told her I would call first thing tomorrow morning.

At this point my guess is they are sourcing a hose or hoses given he mentioned when I arranged the appointment originally that he may need to keep the RV an extra day if the part came from Portland (he wasn't certain). At this point it may be nothing but my concern is that he doesn't get the job done on time given I need the RV by no later than Saturday Aug 20th at Lunch (plans to go to Spokane area) and his telling me that he may only need the RV an extra day when I originally scheduled the appointment which was a week prior to when I dropped it off.

I've checked online at 2 different places (NAPA & O'Reillys) that are within walking distance of him (literally) and they have the hoses. So my plan is to confirm what exactly it is he's waiting for. If it's the hose/s I'm going to confirm whether or not he's 100% sure he'll be able to get them and the job done prior to when I leave. If he states he's not sure I'm going to take that as a no and suggest to him that he go to NAPA (next door to him quite literally) and get the hose/s. I was also going to push that it get done even if it means someone coming in on Saturday to complete the job given I was told at worst he might need it only an extra day...not 2+ extra days.

This is one reason I try and do the work myself but time was not on my side this round.

Any other suggestions?
call before lunch time, not in the morning because nothing will be different than your call at 4:00 pm today.


Or call first thing in the morning and tell them you will be dropping the brake hoses off.


Why did you not get the brake hoses yesterday and drop them off to the mech?

Next time get your appointment a couple of weeks before your trip, so you are not so stressed about your RV getting fixed.

Or do it yourself
__________________

__________________
2005 Tiffin Allegro Bay 37DB
W22 Workhorse Chassis 8.1 Flat Towing a 82 Jeep CJ7
CJ7365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 09:12 AM   #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Seattle,WA/HB,CA./Fujieda-Japan
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7365 View Post
call before lunch time, not in the morning because nothing will be different than your call at 4:00 pm today.


Or call first thing in the morning and tell them you will be dropping the brake hoses off.


Why did you not get the brake hoses yesterday and drop them off to the mech?

Next time get your appointment a couple of weeks before your trip, so you are not so stressed about your RV getting fixed.

Or do it yourself
I didn't have any reason to believe it would take him any longer than what he originally told me regarding the hose/s. Again, at this point I'm only assuming it's a hose/s that she was referencing about during our conversation given all the items I purchased when I dropped it off. The brake issue itself popped up on my return home from a trip so the two week prior wasn't an option.
__________________
1994 Southwind Storm 28ft 7.4L TBI P-30
52,2XX miles and counting...
udidwht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 01:41 PM   #4
Member
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 96
Just one of the reasons I don't do phone calls. I show up in person.

I hope your repairs are done in time.
__________________
Enjoying the simple life w/a 1994 Winnebago Brave 31RQ (A). Past RVs; RoadTrek (B), Starcraft Pop-up, Coachmen (C), MinnieWinnie (C) and an American Something-or-other (TT). Started it all off as a teenager in a 1964 Apache Pop-up we named Wag Along.
minibike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 07:41 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Seattle,WA/HB,CA./Fujieda-Japan
Posts: 19
Update:

I did get the RV done on time. Ended up having a flawless trip over to Post Falls-Coeur D'Alene. Ran great and averaged between 9.32 - 9.93 mpg over and back to Seattle. That was cruising at roughly 55-60mph and not towing anything.
__________________
1994 Southwind Storm 28ft 7.4L TBI P-30
52,2XX miles and counting...
udidwht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 07:46 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
CJ7365's Avatar
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Southern NM
Posts: 1,223
Quote:
Originally Posted by udidwht View Post
Update:

I did get the RV done on time. Ended up having a flawless trip over to Post Falls-Coeur D'Alene. Ran great and averaged between 9.32 - 9.93 mpg over and back to Seattle. That was cruising at roughly 55-60mph and not towing anything.
thanks for the update, glad you had a great trip with some great gas mileage
__________________

__________________
2005 Tiffin Allegro Bay 37DB
W22 Workhorse Chassis 8.1 Flat Towing a 82 Jeep CJ7
CJ7365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Another odor situation Bald Eagle MH-General Discussions & Problems 9 02-28-2009 05:27 PM
Why Brake Buddy for My Situation JavaJelly MH-General Discussions & Problems 9 10-19-2007 11:45 AM
A real MESSY situation Don (W5IT) iRV2.com General Discussion 19 11-30-2006 03:27 PM
Need Allison shop/Alignment shop in Phoenix AZ area Mahlon Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum 3 10-10-2006 08:06 PM
Stranded and in bad situation-need help Wingding Alpine Coach Owner's Forum 28 05-06-2005 10:59 PM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.