Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-13-2014, 07:48 PM   #1

Shower surround

I am in the midst of a renovation of my 1998 Southwind Storm and I am having a hard time finding a replacement shower surround and tub. When I look online I can't find the size that is currently installed. The ones that I find are either too big or too small by several inches. I had the same problem with the shower skylight, I went with one 2 inches wider and 2 inches longer but I don't have any room to play with in the existing shower walls. Any experience or ideas would be greatly appreciated. The one installed is cracked or I would keep it.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2014, 07:52 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary276 View Post
I am in the midst of a renovation of my 1998 Southwind Storm and I am having a hard time finding a replacement shower surround and tub. When I look online I can't find the size that is currently installed. The ones that I find are either too big or too small by several inches. I had the same problem with the shower skylight, I went with one 2 inches wider and 2 inches longer but I don't have any room to play with in the existing shower walls. Any experience or ideas would be greatly appreciated. The one installed is cracked or I would keep it.
Can you have it repaired?
chuckinthebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 11:38 PM   #3

cracked shower stall

Do an internet search for WEST Marine boating products. They sell an epoxy glue that might work.
sam-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 11:56 PM   #4

As mentioned earlier, if the shower surround is fiberglass it can be fixed. In the boating world lots of fiberglass is patched/fixed and the repaired area is very strong. "West" brand products are used on boats along with other brands of fiberglass repair products. A boat repair shop can do it if you are not comfortable with it (that would probably be my choice).
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 11:01 AM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Have you checked out PPL out of Tx? They may have one or try a salvage yard.
Good luck
ps I looked they have them but I didn't know your size.
tb
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 11:09 AM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
Have you tried a Google search?
https://www.google.com/search?num=40...32.Mw8zGaK3AwA

Lots of links come up, since you didn't mention the dimensions you're trying to fill, here's a couple:

RV Shower Pans, Trailer Tubs, Motorhome Tub Surrounds, Lyons RV Bathtubs, Drains

rv tub shower | eBay

Tubs & Showers - Factory RV Surplus

You might look into replacing the tub/shower with just a shower pan. Few take baths in RV, most use it as a shower, so you could eliminate the tub.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 04:33 PM   #7

Mine was cracked and I made a surround using FRP that I bought at Home Depot, That was 12 years ago and still holding.
FRP ( Fiberglass Reinforced Panel )
It took 2 4x8 panels to keep any seams out of the middle. Todays price on a FRP panel is about $26
Old 03-15-2014, 07:41 AM   #8

Thanks

Thanks for the replies, it is cracked and I probably will fix it and reinstall it, the wife wanted a shiney new one and we have looked on line for the last several weeks off and on, it measures 34" wide x 25" deep and 60" high for the surround, and we cant find one in those dimensions anywhere. Plus the cost on some are pretty high and then add in shipping, ouch, I did think about putting in a pan where the tub is because we will never use it as a tub but im not sure about re-routing the plumbing.

Something else was that the tubs are listed online as left hand or right hand drain, my tub is on the passenger side of the MH and if you are facing forward the drain is in the back left corner of the tub, so does this make it a left hand drain?
Old 03-15-2014, 10:37 AM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
...Something else was that the tubs are listed online as left hand or right hand drain, my tub is on the passenger side of the MH and if you are facing forward the drain is in the back left corner of the tub, so does this make it a left hand drain?
When you stand facing the tub, the drain is on your left side or your right side.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 11:57 AM   #10

Right side if i am facing the tub.
Old 03-16-2014, 07:15 AM   #11

I think it's PPL that can custom order about any size skylight you'd ever need? If not, doing a search should find somebody that can take care of you.

Re: the wall, there's about a 95% chance it cracked because Fleetwood didn't allow for enough expansion/contraction when they installed it. An 8' length of that plastic expands/contracts about 1/2" from 20 to 90 degrees. If it's fastened securely to something (like wood) that doesn't share that same expansion rate, it's going to crack.

Pretty sure it's made from ABS plastic. You can make some pretty sturdy glue from ABS shavings and acetone. Mix them together to form something with the consistency of house paint and use an acid brush to apply it to the clean/dry crack. If this crack hasn't spread, is still fitted together nice and snug, acetone can be applied directly on the crack to melt the 2 halves together. Be careful! Acetone is a little like CA glue in that it's very thin and travels. Spilling or dripping can result in an unwanted mess easily!

Epoxy and fiberglass resin a waste of time on ABS. It won't stick. Fiberglass cloth used with some of the above mentioned glue is an option, as is glass cloth and straight acetone, but that's going to involve some messing around most people aren't going to want to deal with. Goes without saying, acetone is not something you don't want to be breathing in a confined area... like a shower stall.
Old 03-17-2014, 09:00 AM   #12

Is the tub and surround all one piece? And if it is will a new one fit through the doors if you find a new one? With mine the tub was separate from the walls and was fine ( and still is ). I just replaced the walls and not the ceiling. I used a razor knife to score mine and then snapped the panel on the score line. I used a FRP glue to hold the panels to the wall and silicone to seal the corners. I used a gloss white panel.

FRP (Fiber-Reinforced Plastic) Wall Panels: Marlite FRP wall systems decorative sanitary surfaces.
Old 03-18-2014, 10:09 AM   #13

Tub

The tub is one piece and the surround is the other that overlaps the top of the tub and was sealed at the tub and surround joint , the top of the surround was held in place by a metal strip on all three sides and 2 sided tape held the surround to the walls, I was surprised at how low tech the installation was, but I guess it works and saves weight too.

Pretty much decided to keep the surround, fix the crack, paint it and reinstall it. The price for any surround I have found and shipping is too costly. Thanks for all of the input and advice, and I will try my best to post some pics as I take this on, the list seems to never end....but I am having fun getting her ready for a summer departure.
Old 03-18-2014, 10:18 AM   #14

Quote:
The tub is one piece and the surround is the other that overlaps the top of the tub and was sealed at the tub and surround joint , the top of the surround was held in place by a metal strip on all three sides and 2 sided tape held the surround to the walls, I was surprised at how low tech the installation was, but I guess it works and saves weight too.

Pretty much decided to keep the surround, fix the crack, paint it and reinstall it. The price for any surround I have found and shipping is too costly. Thanks for all of the input and advice, and I will try my best to post some pics as I take this on, the list seems to never end....but I am having fun getting her ready for a summer departure.

You can try:

Plasti-Mend Plastic Repair Products

Tags
shower