Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-11-2012, 11:47 PM   #29

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
Could the bearings have failed because the oil in the crankcase was polluted with gasoline from the injectors being held open as the result of mice stripping the wires? Did anyone check the oil after discovering the injector problem?
Thank you. I don't know, but will ask... might get a little off the labor costs if they didn't check the oil...mechanic#2 found a rebuilt, now are waiting on call from mechanic #1 to see how much to put it in. Mechanic #2 doesn't have a bay big enough to fit the little old lady in...( but he is partial to Fords I noticed when I was walking the dog around his place and saw his work trucks.)

MartySQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2012, 12:24 AM   #30

Appalachian Campers
Send a message via Yahoo to W4RLR
I second the recommendation to go with a Jasper remanufactured engine. When you're traveling with an RV and if something goes wrong with that engine, any shop that sells Jasper engines can do the warranty work.

You may be spending a lot of cash on the old girl, but remember this. You will be paying a lot less money to put her right than by going out and buying a new one. I have to keep telling myself that, I see some newer Jayco fivers on RV dealer lots, but the one thing I don't do now is write a check for an RV payment every month. My fiver may be seventeen years old, but I have the pink slip.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
W4RLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:37 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
Could the bearings have failed because the oil in the crankcase was polluted with gasoline from the injectors being held open as the result of mice stripping the wires? Did anyone check the oil after discovering the injector problem?
Injectors are closed by spring pressure and opened by an electric impulse that lasts but a milli second, a cut wire sends no electric. the only time electric goes to the injector is when the computer sends it, if the key and computerr off, no juice. My brother has a mice issue with his mercury V-8, they chewed a wire or two and the injectors stopped working.
Old 04-12-2012, 02:05 PM   #32

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilito View Post
Injectors are closed by spring pressure and opened by an electric impulse that lasts but a milli second, a cut wire sends no electric. the only time electric goes to the injector is when the computer sends it, if the key and computerr off, no juice. My brother has a mice issue with his mercury V-8, they chewed a wire or two and the injectors stopped working.
Wrong.
The Computer does not send power to the injectors. It only grounds four injectors at a time.

The power to all injectors comes from the EEC Power relay over a red wire.

The computer is under the heater inside the passenger compartment but unplugs from under the hood under the heater area.

The fuel pumps will only run for one second from a one second timer inside the computer. They do not turn off from fuel pressure.

The key (ignition switch) does send power to the coil of the EEC power relay to close it with the other side of the coil going to ground.

The EEC power relay sends power to all the injectors, coil of the fuel pump relay, computer and all the other solenoids over a red wire.

To OP, were in Kansas are you? You can email me or PM if you like.
Anything you need to know about the fuel or Ford electrical part of your RV feel free to ask me.
subford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 02:16 PM   #33

Vintage RV Owners Club
Paola, only a couple miles from A-Z RV but they don't do engine work... :(
Thank you ,
Makes me wonder if I kicked something on out ride home from our first camp trip... I wasn't the driver, hubby was, and of course the heater box thing takes up so much room on the passenger side, I might have kicked something loose? Is it possible since the computer rides up under there?
Old 04-12-2012, 02:35 PM   #34

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartySQ View Post
I might have kicked something loose? Is it possible since the computer rides up under there?
No I do not think it is possible to kick something loose. The computer has strap on the back side holding it up and a cover under it.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:33 PM   #35

Vintage RV Owners Club
I don't know what to do... we only paid 3500 for it. Seems like it will cost about that much to get a rebuilt engine put in it. (but don't know that for sure yet)
If we start over, with an oldie, we risk much the same sort of scenario.... it is hard to tell how long an old engine like that will last.
They did change the oil after the fuel injector incident due to gas in the oil.

On this one,
I know there are no leaks.
I know the heater works. (might need new thermostat.... the heat would come on, get to temp and the fan would keep running. had to reach up and turn it off, back on to get burner to kick back on.)
I know the fridge works ( needs new piezo crystal or something, had to light from outside.)
The interior lights all work.
Air probably needs recharged. it runs but didn't get too cold...
Cab air needs work.
stove works.
need to track/fix a plumbing leak under the sink.
need to replace tubing couplers behind toilet, but it works good..
Shower worked ok.
need to replace kitchen faucet.
Electric steps needed lubricated, were sticky, but work
Blinds were sticky but got better a little with use...
Tires were all good.(new)
We didn't use the generator...but should probably go check it out and run it to see if it works right for comparison's sake...
Wasn't real crazy about the layout... but in a 22' I am sure there are only so many ways to arrange things without having to crawl up into a cab over bed, which I'm not opposed to, either way, one of us is gonna be crawling over the other to get to the toilet at night...LOL!
Old 04-13-2012, 04:52 AM   #36

You know in this section of the forum what motivates most members is a M/H they can rebuild and use that if they where going to try and get new couldn't afford.Now if it is a matter of moving up in size,I think anytime bigger costs more to run.
Old 04-13-2012, 06:32 AM   #37

Ford Super Duty Owner
What size engine are we talking about?
Is it a 351W (5.8L) or a 460 (7.5L)?
Old 04-13-2012, 09:45 AM   #38

I know how you feel we restored the whole interior sealed roof used it 3000 mi and the trans went bad had to get towed good thing for AAA Rv fixed that than 5000 mi later replaced motor it didnt die but used more oil than gas and low oil press. Now mine had 134000 on it when we got it but after all the work of restoring it the way we wanted what to do . Lucky i can do the work myself so costs were minimal so good luck with yours if you like the layout and its paid for do what you think is best it may be cheeper in the long run . Now i know everything is new so if i want to drive 3000 mi i can godspeed!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-69524438.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	561.9 KB
ID:	19967  
Old 04-13-2012, 11:37 AM   #39

Vintage RV Owners Club
Bill,
I think it is the 5.8L v8.

Fleamarketer,
The reason we bought used is because
#1 Hubby never has bought a new 'off the lot' vehicle, he can't stand the thought of losing so much money the moment we drive it off a lot...(depreciation) In fact we drive good old cars and drive them to their death.

#2 Hubby isn't too much into camping, but he did like the Easter weekend we just spent in it ok. This is sort of my 'toy' as opposed to his powerchute which is his 'toy'. Looking for a way to play together with our toys.

We are conservative spenders. We probably could buy a nice new one if we really wanted too... was looking to just try things out and learn on an oldie, and if needed, trade up a little eventually. ( sort of like you don't turn your kid with a learner's permit loose in your best car...you give them a 'old tank' to learn in so they are safer, and if it gets dings it doesn't matter so much.)

I am not sure from what I read here, I would want a new model one. Of course, I do realise we hear the dissatisfied customers venting on here more than the happy campers.

I don't mind fixing up the interior if it needs it... I don't know much about engines, other than what my dad taught me about changing tires, oil, air filters, etc. Hubby isn't too mechanical either. While he does maintenance on his experimental aircraft, any engine rebuild or anything like that he would have done by someone who knows what they are doing.

I like retro. If I redid things, I would probably stay mostly true to what was there to begin with. kind of funny, the previous owner painted over the original stripes (decals?) with different colors than what was there originally and that bothers me some because when the blinds are down and the awning out, you can tell the exterior color scheme was blues.

Still waiting on the mechanic#1 for an estimate for putting the rebuilt engine in.
We might look at a couple other motor Homes in the general area. Trouble with those that are further away is getting them to a local mechanic to look at and evaluate... I don't reckon folks will want to let their motor homes go over 150 miles from home for an overnight visit to an unknown mechanic!
Old 04-13-2012, 11:45 AM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Good luck, Marty. It certainly wouldn't hurt to shop around a bit and see what's out there.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 02:19 PM   #41

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Personally, I would keep what I know..
Old 04-15-2012, 12:46 PM   #42

If you haven't owned it to long and don't have much time or money tied up in it, then I would set emotion aside. I would purely base my decision on money and if it would cost less to purchase another then I would do that. There are benefits to replacing the engine, but do they outweigh the costs? I have looked for some RV's for family and myself. I have found that if you're patient, and do a VERY thorough inspection you can get a great used RV. If an engine went on mine before my major interior renovation I would have easily purchased another and used the one with the damaged engine for parts. After putting a lot of money into the renovation I would rebuild the engine. I could do the swap and the rebuild myself though, if I were not mechanically inclined I may have to rethink my strategy. Maybe go with something newer and more reliable. It's a tough decision that only you guys can make as we may not fully understand your situation or available skill sets. Good luck on your adventure.