Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-20-2012, 01:42 PM   #43

So what did you decide keeping it or heaving it ??

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2012, 11:02 PM   #44

Vintage RV Owners Club
We got a second estimate on replacing the engine with a rebuilt. It is still sitting at the ford place we drove it to after the first estimate. Hubby wants to look around some more... I am thinking... 'yeah, and get another one that will not be so dependable' (I want to go solo a bit with it and share it with him also). I want to just get a rebuilt engine in it, and get used to RVing a little. Use it and in a couple years if it is not big enough or whatever, get a little newer one with a floor plan I enjoy more.
So we are still undecided... and need to do something about/with it by Sunday!

MartySQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 06:11 AM   #45

Ford Super Duty Owner
Where in Kansas is it at?
subford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 06:31 AM   #46

Well if ya fix it,guess your going to prove me wrong huh.Price out Jasper for it.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:36 AM   #47

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I am reading this thread with interest, wonder what they did??

We did a different type of deal. I had a nice 2005 Winnebago Sightseer with a couple of slides. Spent about $5k on it getting it up to speed, tires, electrical board, a repair to the parking brake, think they ran it with it on, all new awnings and other things. Hubby and I did a lot of work ourselves. This was our 2nd motorhome, first was an 80's Ford hubby worked on, but he thought it was to old for DD and I so we sold it and got that one. I put 20k miles on it in a year and a half. When I sold it had 50k miles on it and its a good motorhome, sold it to my insurance agent, he got a good deal.

But we wanted a diesel but not the diesel price tag so we bought an old 92 American Eagle. I'm sure some of you have read about our adventures in the tech section with electrical. By the way all that stuff works and continues to work.

I had some work done because Tom, my husband works away but he has been working on it since home. However, we have a good engine and transmission so no issues there, its other stuff for us. I don't know if I would advise getting rid of it or not. I would just say if you do, do it before you put more money in it. At some point its kind of keep going forward or quit and get out and move on. I do know all motorhomes need work and continual maintenance. Kind of a decision you have to make. By the way I have learned a lot too.

Now still wonder what they did.
Old 04-21-2012, 03:52 PM   #48

Vintage RV Owners Club
@ Suford,
It is sitting in Overland Park at a Ford dealer on Metcalf ~95th?

Haven't done anything yet.... the other MH hubby wanted to go look at ... the fella hasn't gotten back with him yet.
I bet, and I'm not gonna push it 'cause I don't make the money...just spend it...LOL... that he will go ahead and say ok, let's put a rebuilt engine in it and use it. At least we will have something to sell then, that works, if we chose to do that, and hopefully will recoup a bit more out of it. I'm not sure I would feel safe driving out to AZ or someplace towing his trailer with his power chute in it with another old untried engine.... I have learned a lot from this forum, and from this experience, so far!

Tune in Monday for the rest of the story! LOL!
Old 04-21-2012, 04:01 PM   #49

Vintage RV Owners Club
@Subford... Gee I go out up your direction for stock dog lessons! It's a long drive for a 1/2 hr. to hour lesson... one of the reasons I'd want to use the MH... go stay and get a week of lessons at a time, and get some experience dealing with/caring for sheep /goats.
Old 04-23-2012, 12:28 PM   #50

Vintage RV Owners Club
Well, I would have lost that bet.
He is going to attempt to drive it home tonight~30 miles.
We are looking again.
I suppose if the engine has worn out.... the transmission is soon to follow. Esp. when we put a load on it by hauling a trailer.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:41 PM   #51

Vintage RV Owners Club
Apparently, the man that makes the money has not made up his mind. He is now thinking of getting a rebuilt engine. Part of the decision is that several of the motor homes he has inquired about fail to respond. One we went back to see and it had a lot of damage we hadn't noticed before, another one we went to see 45 minutes away was sold right before we got there (we saw it at the corner gas station getting a fill... then again toodeling down the street when we went to see our son instead who lives in that town.) Hubby didn't give him the cell number, but it would have been too late anyway. We enjoyed our visit with the son.

Part of the equation is that the cab air conditioner doesn't work. so hubby is thinking...what if we get a better( more watts?) generator and have the RV place hook it up for us to run the rooftop AC while we drive down the road. ( I think he could, he is an electrical engineer and understands electricity....). The generator in there now is a replacement which must be removed from it's compartment to be used. There are switches and all for an on board generator that is activated from inside... along the top of the storage compartment under the back seat of the dinette.

So... how much generator do we need for something like that should he decide to do that? Is it feasible and safe?

Old 05-03-2012, 06:48 AM   #52

fixing it up

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartySQ View Post
Apparently, the man that makes the money has not made up his mind. He is now thinking of getting a rebuilt engine. Part of the decision is that several of the motor homes he has inquired about fail to respond. One we went back to see and it had a lot of damage we hadn't noticed before, another one we went to see 45 minutes away was sold right before we got there (we saw it at the corner gas station getting a fill... then again toodeling down the street when we went to see our son instead who lives in that town.) Hubby didn't give him the cell number, but it would have been too late anyway. We enjoyed our visit with the son.

Part of the equation is that the cab air conditioner doesn't work. so hubby is thinking...what if we get a better( more watts?) generator and have the RV place hook it up for us to run the rooftop AC while we drive down the road. ( I think he could, he is an electrical engineer and understands electricity....). The generator in there now is a replacement which must be removed from it's compartment to be used. There are switches and all for an on board generator that is activated from inside... along the top of the storage compartment under the back seat of the dinette.

So... how much generator do we need for something like that should he decide to do that? Is it feasible and safe?

My advice for buying a used Motor home
1. If you see signs of a water leak in the roof or windows anywhere, walk away, the damage you don't see is mind boggling.

2. If everything in that motorhime is not working and can not be demostrated to you while you are there walk away.

I spent 3.5K on a used RV that needed some TLC because it was sitting a long time, we have spent over 4K gertting it together and we still have a long way to go and at least another 1K tp spend

If they say the cab ac needs just needs freon that's a crock, what they are saying is it leaks freon.
If they say the LP tank has no gas in it walk away, you may find the stove, furnace, water heater, fridge may be bad or need service or the sytem is leaking or the tank is bad
IF they say all it needs is water in the water tank, walk away, if may have water leaks or inop or leaking fixtures or a bad water pump

Walk over every inch of the roof, the first soft spot you find just wallk away same goes for ther inside floor, roof or floor rot is super expensive to fix
If they say all the Motor or gen needs is a tune up, walk away

I am telling you to walk away becuase these repairs will kill your interest and cost you an arm and a leg to fix or have fixed, spend a few extra bucks and get something that has been well maintained with everything working.

A proud owner will be happy to show you that everything works and demonstate the items, I saw many RV's when we were looking in great shape but I wanted to go on the cheap, we are 4 months into the repairs now and every time I turn around it is something else to fix and I still do not know if the LP gas system or eveything that runs on gas works, I have a working water pump but it had a removed kitchen sink faucette they were gonna change, the new faucette was in a box

This weeks issue is that suddenly I have lost all the ac power due to a faulty ground power connection, and the hydraulic jacks have not been tackled yet But I was told they work and just need new springs, HA, they are held up by ropes.

Good Luck and good hunting

Old 05-03-2012, 04:41 PM   #53

Vintage RV Owners Club
That is the thing Bilito... on the Honey, I know everything works, except we haven't used the generator and the cab air doesn't work. Those were my instincts totally. I read up on here enough to know to walk far far away from leaks and soft spots.

Everything in me is screaming... don't go with another when what you had was really good.( as far as oldies go) The engine thing sucked, but could happen at any moment on any engine of that age too! Or worse, you could find one with a cab air conditioner that works and then have the engine, cab air conditioner, and the transmission fail relatively shortly into use. Then we would be right back here again.
I sure hope he hurries up and makes up his mind. I wanna go camping, RVing, or whatever you prefer to call it!
Old 05-03-2012, 07:32 PM   #54

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
I still say fix it.. you can find pulled Onan 4 kilowatt generators that still run on Craigslist.. just look around for the best deal. Same for the AC..
Old 05-03-2012, 11:23 PM   #55

Vintage RV Owners Club
He wants to look at one more...
The generator idea is more expensive than getting the cab A/C fixed.
I think the fellas at the dealer have been very patient letting the old lady sit on their lot for this long. I did speak with a young fella there the other day, he was running back to the back for some errand... He was admiring her.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:00 AM   #56

Ford Super Duty Owner
If you like here fix her.

When I buy one I do not even look at the engine, transmission or the cab A/C.
Those are easy fixes. The rest are the hard parts mainly the body. That is the ones I walk away from.

One of the first things I do when I buy a one is put a lifting plate on the engine and yank it out. Through it on the engine stand, flip it over and replace the timing chain, main bearing, oil pump connecting rod bearing, crank if it needs it and all the seals.

As for the cab A/C I would just replace all the seals and the dryer, pump it down and see if it holds vacuum. If so just fill it with Freeze 12 and see if it works. If not just fix what is wrong with it.
As far as the generator I have a Onan 4 kilowatt generator that I am going to pull out because my wife says it makes too much noise and she is going to use a generator that she can take out and set on the ground that is very quiet. She has a 1986 class "B" with a Ford chassis.

The transmission change the oil and filter if it has one and see how it runs out.

subford is offline   Reply With Quote