Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-16-2010, 08:23 AM   #1

Sleeping beauty needs some fresh air!!

Needing to purchase an air conditioner. Used will be fine. Any good websites for this. It will mount on the roof. Will check out ebay.
Good brands??
Thanks again.
made2care is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2010, 08:45 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
RVers Corner list several places where salvaged and used RV parts may be purchased. You can also Google "RV Salvage" and get several suggestions.
Dadeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 01:00 PM   #3

I have seen some pictures of restorations with ducted AC from underneath the bed or from storage area in observation lounge. How are you designing your head? Are you adding a shower and if so are you doing as "wet" bathroom. I'm still in the "thinking " stage on my '47 manor so I am appreciating your progress.
Linerpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 01:12 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Don't forget to post a request at the link below right here at iRV2

WANTED - Items, Parts & Pieces - RV & Motorhome Classifieds
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 06:59 PM   #5

Check locally for RV salvage yards. If none try Craigslist. We have an RV salvage yard here in Phoenix, Arizona RV Salvage.
Recommend going with a Coleman or similar if you have a choice. The no name units from China have a much higher amp draw. One on my 2005 Kodiak drew 27 amps at start up and almost 20 when running. The Coleman on my motorhome is a Coleman and it will start and rn on a 15 amp circuit.
leadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 07:37 AM   #6

spartan manor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linerpro View Post
I have seen some pictures of restorations with ducted AC from underneath the bed or from storage area in observation lounge. How are you designing your head? Are you adding a shower and if so are you doing as "wet" bathroom. I'm still in the "thinking " stage on my '47 manor so I am appreciating your progress.
I am opting for a roof mount a/c unit, no ducts. The million $ question , where to place the bathroom which will include a shower. I have checked several blueprints online and have decided to have a u shaped seating area in front, which could double as a bed if need be. Kitchen midway and bathroom midway. Some bathrooms cut into the rear bed somewhat , but isn't too bad. Even though this trailer is small ( 23 ft interior), one can still play around with the layout.
Today I will be working on the floor. I will lay 1/4 in luan( cheap $10 per sheet), be careful here since they recommend you staple this stuff. I also went with vinyl squares and will post the before and after pics of those in a couple of days.
Good to be able to compare notes. I will have quite a few questions in the near future.
Happy working!
Old 12-21-2010, 03:45 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by made2care View Post
I am opting for a roof mount a/c unit, no ducts.

We had a roof mount a/c w/no ducts in our 25ft TT. One thing it had was a heat strip in it. I'm not sure what the procedure would be for an aftermarket unit, but I would recommend adding a heat strip for comfort if you can. It will save using your propane if you're already hooked up to shore power & will take the chill off on cooler mornings/nights. It did a great job on our little TT we had.

Looking forward to your pics.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 05:35 PM   #8

HMMmmmmmm - at 23 feet inside, you're pretty much the same living space as our 24 foot '88 Kit 5er - we have a full bed over the 5th wheel section, a good usable living space with couch that makes into a bed and covers the 40 gallon fresh water tank - and there's also a chair on the opposite wall next to the entry door - the space for the chair is being used for grandkid's junk in the pic below. Then, there's the kitchen and dining area - and still room for a good size bathroom with a large closet, toilet, and tub/shower combo - here's a pic of the inside, taken from the front bed area:

Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 04:42 AM   #9

I agree with U shape seating area in front...also adds storage area. I think that is where I would put my battery (ies). My manor has a toilet on the curbside aft of the kichen. This seems to have been added, making space by shortening the cabinets. The TT was lived in , so the toilet was connected to septic...no tanks... have to consider tank placement and weigh distribution for towing. I like an idea that I saw somewhere, creating a trunk lid for outside access to under bed storage area.
Rob
Linerpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 01:35 PM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
I am opting for a roof mount a/c unit, no ducts. The million $ question , where to place the bathroom which will include a shower. I have checked several blueprints online and have decided to have a u shaped seating area in front, which could double as a bed if need be. Kitchen midway and bathroom midway. Some bathrooms cut into the rear bed somewhat , but isn't too bad. Even though this trailer is small ( 23 ft interior), one can still play around with the layout.
Today I will be working on the floor. I will lay 1/4 in luan( cheap $10 per sheet), be careful here since they recommend you staple this stuff. I also went with vinyl squares and will post the before and after pics of those in a couple of days.
Good to be able to compare notes. I will have quite a few questions in the near future.
Happy working!
Use your U shaped dinette plan and have the fresh water tank and pump assembly fitted to go inside of the forward-most portion of the dinette U.

You can probably find a scrapped Pickup Camper that will have a rectangular fresh tank that would fit in a forward dinette, but you'd be limited to around 25-30 gallons.

Place your shower and grey/black tanks so that they're starting just a little aft of the axle and then going forward, that way most of their load will be directly over the axle, but favoring the tongue since you want to keep the 10-15% tongue load going.

Personally, I'd put the kitchen sink, water heater and bathroom over all on the driver's side of the trailer, this way all your fresh water lines can be run inside the unit to keep them from exposure to outside cold. It'll also put your fresh water fill and city water hookup on the correct side for RV parks, plus your dump valves.

Put your storage cabinets, fridge, on the passengers side.

Convert the rear into the master bedroom and turn the bed sideways so that your rear door will be at the foot of the bed instead of along side it.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 03:06 PM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Here's a floor plan for ya:

Sorry she has square corners and the skylight over the shower, I was using bits from a 24' TT floor plan to bodge this together. Tried to get the doors and windows in the right spots.
Old 12-31-2010, 07:55 AM   #12

floor plan might work!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedneckExpress View Post
Here's a floor plan for ya:

Sorry she has square corners and the skylight over the shower, I was using bits from a 24' TT floor plan to bodge this together. Tried to get the doors and windows in the right spots.
My wife and I like this floor plan. Thanks for the help.
Old 01-01-2011, 02:57 AM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
My wife and I like this floor plan. Thanks for the help.
Not a problem, it helped pass a somewhat boring day at work .