Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-02-2011, 04:25 PM   #15

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
Quote:
Originally Posted by made2care View Post
I did consider this and have no experience with this type of application.
There's a number of ways to do it, contact cement, troweled cement and a press roller is another.

The simplest way of all is actually to simply cut it to fit, then lay a bead of good adhesive down and spread it out along the perimeter then using a good weight or a roller and a lot of elbow grease, press the vinyl down into the edge seal, then staple it down with longer staples via a pneumatic staple gun.

Once you install your walls and anchor them into the floor, the vinyl will not budge.

The only catch to that method is you want to cut and size the vinyl while its warm and install it, if you do it while its cold, the vinyl will expand and wrinkle.

'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2011, 05:26 PM   #16

Flooring Rules

I think I mentioned to you in an earlier post that I have had nothing but problems with stick on tiles and I put them in a stick rental house we own. I have a HR 40 with three slides and I ripped out the tile and carpeting and put in cheap laminate floating floor at 98 cents a sq ft. It looks great and won't scratch under the dog's nails. Real wood flooring will scratch easily. A drop of your keys or an animals nails will leave scratches and lines in it. The laminate click together stuff works excellent and lasts forever unless you have a major flood, then the edges will pucker up. Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00134-20100215-1703.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	8076   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00159-20100322-2043.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	8077  

Old 02-02-2011, 05:53 PM   #17

Wrong !on the laminate it will pucker up on the edge's with just a little damp mop and you will have to mop , it is just the worst junk ever made , here are your options !
1- re-glue the flooring you have now and if you do use a trowel to spreed the
the glue it will hold up for a short time ,
2- install sheet flooring but purchase good stuff
3- install wood
4- carpet?
5- they do make a vinyl plank that floats ,each piece glues to other BUT!
if it were me i would go with the sheet flooring , it's low cost , easy to lay down and holds up good ,just make sure you buy a big enough piece so you don't have to seam it . just my 2 cents
Old 02-02-2011, 06:03 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampdog View Post
Wrong !on the laminate it will pucker up on the edge's with just a little damp mop and you will have to mop , it is just the worst junk ever made , here are your options !
1- re-glue the flooring you have now and if you do use a trowel to spreed the
the glue it will hold up for a short time ,
2- install sheet flooring but purchase good stuff
3- install wood
4- carpet?
5- they do make a vinyl plank that floats ,each piece glues to other BUT!
if it were me i would go with the sheet flooring , it's low cost , easy to lay down and holds up good ,just make sure you buy a big enough piece so you don't have to seam it . just my 2 cents
I'm confused!! Would it not be best to just go with wood flooring, glue and nail the stuff down and forget about it. The laminate route sounds okay, however, I'm with you on if it gets wet. Does one have to glue the laminate down?? I'm ready to just take up the tile, which will be a pain in the you know where and go with wood. Even if it scratches, that might make it look more authentic. I'm very disappointed with the tile. I did not add any additional glue per manufactures directions!!
Old 02-02-2011, 06:08 PM   #19

Solo Rvers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I put down self sticking tile when I first got my A. There was carpet in the bathroom and that wouldn't do with the way I live. Anyway after sticking the tile down, I went around and put the seam sealer they use on sheet vinyl in every joint and it hasn't even tried to come up, even with all of the water. Happy Trails..
Old 02-02-2011, 06:20 PM   #20

problem solved!!

That's it!! I'm purchasing 500 tubes of superglue
Old 02-02-2011, 06:44 PM   #21

Well, I guess it depends on the quality of the laminate because we have had ours almost a year now and have mopped many times. Even had the refer ice maker leak a two and a half foot puddle on the floor overnight and wiped it up and no puckering, so I am very happy with it and the price, of course I did the labor so that was no actual cost. I was really surprised that it didn't pucker with the leak in the fridge but it didn't so all is good. I guess it is just personal preference but maybe the post about one full sheet of linoleum since you have everything out would be the best bet. We put some linoleum in a house we rehabbed that looked just like real wood so that might be the best way to go.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:01 PM   #22

I used what they call "floating floor", it is wood and installs easily and it is greaaaaatt.
Old 02-03-2011, 12:55 AM   #23

we have the better grade laminate and it does not turn up on the edges has a trim around the edges that hold it down and allows movement. no problems with mopping...if you plan to keep your motorhome for a number of years, i would not glue anything down as you may want to change it out. we were going to do wood, but found the 3/4 inch was too thick to allow the slides to move in. before you go with wood buy a piece and see if it is going to work. the laminate snaps together and there are no nails in case we want to change it. the peel and stick tile will not do better in the heat and after a couple of years it will begin to come up.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:06 AM   #24

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
If you want material that won't pucker on edges use engineered wood. This has a layer of real wood over layers of plywood. In all the jobs I have installed, the engineered has never failed. Laminate has 2 kinds of fibre board it is made over- MDF- medium density fiberboard and HDF- high density fiberboard. Both of these are fine particle board and you know what happens when particle board gets wet
Old 02-06-2011, 08:49 PM   #25

Well the engineered laminate flooring worked out great for us, no edge puckering even with a small flood overnight. The laminate with the cushion floor underlayment still gave me the ability to make all three slides work with a bit of adjustment. It is easy to trim out and looks absolutely awesome. Everyone that sees it is blown away. But we do everything ourselves and really plan to travel this next year so I even put in a full size house swanstone shower, all I had to do was take a small worthless cabinet. I then put a regular flush toilet in because the Aria was going to be 400.00 in parts to fix.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:36 AM   #26

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
Jimmy- with the new house toilet, how large is your black tank?
Old 02-07-2011, 07:54 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
we have replaced the flooring with good sheet vinyl on 3 RVs now and not a problem with any of them. Be sure and get a good heavy product.

Ken
Old 02-08-2011, 12:16 AM   #28

Outdoors RV Owners Club
A couple of years ago, we replaced the carpet and ceramic tiles in our coach with vinyl flooring. It was expensive stuff, Armstrong brand. Our subfloor is that chip board kind of stuff, so we used a filler, spread it over the floor, sanded it smooth, then glued the flooring down.

Our floor experiences all the temperatures, even -40 when in storage.

It looks beautiful.

Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote