Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-31-2011, 12:12 PM   #1

Sleeping beauty not happy with her new floor!

Due to bad weather i have not had the chance to check on her. Stopped by yesterday and some of the floor tiles are popping up where the sun hits. This is very disappointing since I thought I followed the prep work to a T and spent close to $200 on these tiles. I did not take pics of this , since I was so mad. These tiles are only popping up in certain areas. Not good. Since I consider myself a perfectionist of sorts, I am tempted to place wood flooring down, not laminate, the real deal.
So much for self adhesive vinyl. i will first attempt to replace those tiles and if that does not work, I'm taking them up!!
made2care is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2011, 12:39 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
You may need to be patient for tiles to stick in this cold weather nothing is sticking other than ice.
When it warms up thing maybe different.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 01:17 PM   #3

You might consider taking the tiles up, and then using a conventional tile cement to reinstall them...
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 01:28 PM   #4

tiles

I have not found any tile manufacturer that recommends tile installation for an RV floor due to the extremes in temperature.
SEMO Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 09:07 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
go to a real wood floor. a lot easier and better. just my .02 cents.

Outlaw
Old 02-01-2011, 01:26 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Wood floor

In my 2000 HR vacationer w/no slides, I installed 3/4" wood tongue and groove flooring. I sold it in 2003 and it was still fine. The only thing I would consider is the weight of the "real" oak flooring. It might add too much to your trailer. I used no glue, just nails and foam subflooring.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:44 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have laid vinyl tiles several times over the years. I never had any luck relying on the self stick adhesive. I have always used vinyl flooring glue and I have always had excellent results doing it that way.
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:51 PM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
we have real wood flooring in our motorhome it is better than the floor we have in the sticks house.we had to keep some of the carpet around the doghouse but the real wood lasts better than anything else.
Bob N Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 11:53 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by made2care View Post
Due to bad weather i have not had the chance to check on her. Stopped by yesterday and some of the floor tiles are popping up where the sun hits. This is very disappointing since I thought I followed the prep work to a T and spent close to $200 on these tiles. I did not take pics of this , since I was so mad. These tiles are only popping up in certain areas. Not good. Since I consider myself a perfectionist of sorts, I am tempted to place wood flooring down, not laminate, the real deal.
So much for self adhesive vinyl. i will first attempt to replace those tiles and if that does not work, I'm taking them up!!
heat in the summer will cause the glue to dry out on self stick tiles and they will come up....go with non-glued down laminate...not hard to do and so easy to keep...we chose the one with the foam backing attached, so no underlayment needed.
faye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 03:17 AM   #10

Hi all. This is a valuable discussion for me, as I am months behind Made2care on my Manor restoration. When referring to wood floors, is the reference to traditional tongue and groove, installed with air nail gun or the engineered snap together floor? Weght is certainly a major consideration. As well as the movement of the trailer. I guess the question would be, what do the manufacturers use in wood floored RVs...no need to reinvent the wheel.
Rob in CT
Linerpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 04:38 AM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by made2care View Post
Was there a particular reason you went with the stick down tiles rather than putting down a regular one-piece section of vinyl flooring? With the trailer's interior empty, the cutting work to put in a solid one piece floor wouldn't have been too hard.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 04:56 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linerpro View Post
Hi all. This is a valuable discussion for me, as I am months behind Made2care on my Manor restoration. When referring to wood floors, is the reference to traditional tongue and groove, installed with air nail gun or the engineered snap together floor? Weght is certainly a major consideration. As well as the movement of the trailer. I guess the question would be, what do the manufacturers use in wood floored RVs...no need to reinvent the wheel.
Rob in CT
If your unit has very much flex in moving you may be better off with the floating laminate floor. They look good and wear well and the price is better. With that said there is nothing like a real wood floor in looks or feel.

Good luck.
Dadeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 03:04 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linerpro View Post
Rob in CT
I would probably try the traditional tongue /groove installed with nail gun. Laminate does not appeal to me , since the planks are not nailed down. I went with the self stick vinyl due to less weight, low cost and easy application. I have also seen a couple of blogs showing this. since this is my first trailer retoration, upgrade, whatever one wants to call it, trial and error is a part of this. i am hoping that maybe when it warms up the tiles will stick better and again, it is only in certain spots. I did initially want a wooden floor, but thought that might be too much weight for her.
Old 02-02-2011, 03:06 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedneckExpress View Post
Was there a particular reason you went with the stick down tiles rather than putting down a regular one-piece section of vinyl flooring? With the trailer's interior empty, the cutting work to put in a solid one piece floor wouldn't have been too hard.
I did consider this and have no experience with this type of application.