Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 03-26-2011, 07:17 AM   #1
Sleeping beauty still thinking cheap!!Help answer this question.

So I spot an old Winnebago(80's) in a field back from Oklahoma City yesterday. Stopped by the closest house and found out that an old man's son owns this Winne. So, where am I going with this? Since I am cheap, i thought maybe I could use some of the parts(fridge,tanks, water heater. etc). I am still trying to reach the son.
Here's my question, would you even mess with this approach? if I can get some of these parts real cheap, and yes, they might need some TLC to get them functioning, it might be worth it. Just thought I would throw this out there. The water heater will more than likely be corroded, however, the other parts might still be salvageable. Was told she has been in the field for 8 yrs now.
Let me know what you would do??

made2care is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2011, 07:20 AM   #2
my atwood 6 gal dsi modle went 25 years before board went bad. might be worth a try

whem2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 08:43 AM   #3
as a longtime Ford Falcon enthusiast; let me put this MY way: you snooze, you lose. i've learned to approach every prospective project with an eye to buying it before it disappears. i can't begin to list the cars i've had slip through my fingers for apprehension. it doesn't hurt to ask if it's for sale, and if you have room to store it, go for it. all the owner can say is NO.
raccoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 09:11 AM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
If you can get the Winnie for cheap or better yet, free and you have an inexpensive way to dispose of the (considerable) wastage involved, I'd go for it. Maybe the owner would let you strip out the parts you wanted without buying the unit outright.

I wouldn't count on the reefer; just replacing a bad door gasket will run $200, but the tanks (unless they froze) toilet, sinks, lights, propane bottle etc will probably all be fine.

If this one doesn't work out for you, place a Craigslist ad looking for a wrecked or useless trailer- I'll bet you get some replies.
Life rocks when your house rolls
Senior Chief
& the Cheese Queen

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote