Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-16-2015, 08:35 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyBadger View Post
DW means Dear Wife, DH is husband, DSIL is son in law and so on. These are just internet acronyms- you can google for a list if you're unfamiliar with forum abbreviations

Your Southwind has all the plumbing in the (heated) basement; you may find some wiring under the bed(s) but that is movable. Structurally, your idea should work, but...

Do take care that all can access the big escape window in back- VERY important that this can still be opened with the bed arrangement as you foresee it.

Something else you might find workable is what what was in some older Winnebago Class As of that era; a Pullman style bunk over the front seats which would during driving locked tight against the ceiling but pulled down to just over the seat backs for sleeping. There was a curtain which gave it privacy. Its been so long I don't remember how the pulldown mechanism worked, but it would certainly utilize some otherwise wasted space.
Good ideas, HB, and I have considered the two items you brought up...

The division of the current bedroom is where it is to acknowledge the rear escape hatch window in my MH. The bunks are the width they are, so that the new wall can be at the frame edge of the rear glass windows. In my MH, that rear glass is basically in three pieces, the center one will open like an awning window, to facilitate an escape if needed. My design will not interfere with this. The only change I made was to turn the locking handles inbound, so that they did not extend beyond the center edging. (In their original position, if you opened the window and then locked the handles down, it would prevent the window from closing completely, and conversely, if you unlocked but did not move the handles vertical, you cannot open the window.) In my position, they are facing inboard, and will not reach the frames in any position, but still lock the window when you want them to.

As to the pull down bunk, I had considered installing something like that. Unfortunately, because of the slope nose of this MH, and the side cabinets, the bunk would be difficult to install, and it would not be reasonable for a double bed.

Also, the whole reason for getting this class A was that after a couple years, my wife refused to use the king sized bed over the cab in my previous camper, a class C. That bunk is unlikely to be as complete as a class C bunk. In either vehicle, my teenage son was or would be willing to use that bunk, but it would again put him in the living room.

By modifying the bedroom, I will be able to support all 4 members of my family with their own beds, and still have the couch and dinette available to fold out to beds for guests.

KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2015, 10:11 AM   #16

It sounds like you've considered everything, Karl.

Have you asked your kids if they like the idea? I know mine would have paid good money as teens to NOT sleep anywhere near Mom and Dad, and frankly- sleeping in a small room within a few inches of teenage boys would not be my preference either!

Just kidding, everybody's family is different. Thank God or we'd all be so boring.

One of the great things about older coaches is that you are free to change 'em and customize as you please.

Old 03-17-2015, 10:55 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyBadger View Post
It sounds like you've considered everything, Karl.

Have you asked your kids if they like the idea? I know mine would have paid good money as teens to NOT sleep anywhere near Mom and Dad, and frankly- sleeping in a small room within a few inches of teenage boys would not be my preference either!

Just kidding, everybody's family is different. Thank God or we'd all be so boring.

One of the great things about older coaches is that you are free to change 'em and customize as you please.
You are quite right. In the last camper, I made it a point to have the kids at one end, and wife and I at the other. This was easy on the class C, as it came with a double at the rear, and as a class c, clearly a king at the cab. Originally I made it parents at the front and kids in the back, and then when the wife refused to use the cab bunk, it was the opposite.

This MH is very different. I know my daughter is looking forward to her bunk and she still talks to us at 11yo, but my 15 yo son is not as verbally expressive, but clearly knows that I don't know anything.

I would rather have them at the other end of the vehicle, or better yet, outside somewhere in a tent or tree, or small hole in the ground or whatever. I will encourage that whenever I can, but other than that, I guess we will all squeeze together.

One further design feature that I have added to each bunk is a fan, I believe more for white noise than air movement, but so be it...
Old 05-30-2015, 12:09 AM   #18

Finally, some construction pics

I finally have some construction pics. I have finished much of the carpentry, with double bunks on the curb side, and an odd shaped double on the road side.

I have walls in, and hatches thru the double for storage. I am working on flooring now, and some lower wall sections. I will be posting more soon.

Start with the 'as was' bedroom

Same without the mattresses

Beginning of the deconstruction.

Deconstruction made quite a mess