Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-03-2015, 04:59 PM   #1

Sleeping capacity

I recently bought an '88 Southwind by Fleetwood, 36+ feet.

I bought it in October, extended my pole barn to house it (It replaced an 88 Rockwood class C, 28 foot) and put it away. I have hardly had any time to do anything to it, clean it or otherwize...

Now, of course, there are 5 feet of snow all around it here in Boston, and luckily, my enclosure has held up well.

My question has to do with sleeping arrangements. The class C had a small double in the back, a nice king size over the cab, and a pull out couch, that could house two small intimate people, or one good sized teenager. That makes about 5, which was fine for my family of four. (Me and the wife, 15yo boy, 11 yo girl)

First thing I did. was take out the double in back, and install double bunks, kind of super singles. Son and daughter liked it, wife and I were over the cab. That worked for the couple trips first summer.

First trip 2nd year, wife tells me she will no longer climb up over the cab. Up was okay to her, but down was no longer something she was willing to do.

So, I pull out the bunks in back, reinstall the double in back, make a small bunk that fits on the drivers/passenger seat under the cab over king. Large son is in the king, daughter squeezes into the new small bunk, Wife and I squeeze into rear double. (She is less unhappy, but not happy)

Then I go find a bigger camper.

The 36 foot A sleeps less than the 28 foot C. This unit came with a pair of singles in the back bedroom, and a pull out couch (good for one teenager or two VERY friendly people, and a dinnet that folds down to 2 more. (The C had no dinnet). So, I guess the A sleeps 5 or 6 like the C.

But I don't like people sleeping in the livingroom.

So, my plan is to squeeze a double in one side of the rear bedroom, and also two fairly narrow (32") bunks on the other side in the back bedroom. At 8 feet wide, there should be enough room.

My question is, has anyone done or seen this kind of arrangement before? My bathroom wall is pretty close to coach center, so the hallway is off to one side by about a foot. This will give me an opportunity to have the approach pretty much at the junction of all bunks. I plan to remove the rear most wardrobe from the hallway, for a small stair to the top bunk on passenger side of coach, over the other bunk. The rest of the bedroom will be mostly mattress with a small wedge cut out so you can stand and either enter the lower bunk or the double on the other side.

I plan to build in slide away tambour wooden doors to give the bunks some privacy, and some sort of sliding or accordion door on the master double.

All of this will be in the current bedroom area.

I will enclose pictures as I do the work, but wanted to ask if anyone has tried to incorporate this type of a design before?

KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2015, 02:50 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I have a 82 PA 30 fter.
Mine sleeps 8 2 in the Bed front above driver (pull down.) 2/ Fold out couch, 4 bunks in the back before bathroom. I would hate to have that many people in the MH at one time though...
Will watch for your Pic's of the re-do,
Thanks,
Tim

spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 03:57 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
So, my plan is to squeeze a double in one side of the rear bedroom, and also two fairly narrow (32") bunks on the other side in the back bedroom. At 8 feet wide, there should be enough room.

My question is, has anyone done or seen this kind of arrangement before? My bathroom wall is pretty close to coach center, so the hallway is off to one side by about a foot. This will give me an opportunity to have the approach pretty much at the junction of all bunks. I plan to remove the rear most wardrobe from the hallway, for a small stair to the top bunk on passenger side of coach, over the other bunk. The rest of the bedroom will be mostly mattress with a small wedge cut out so you can stand and either enter the lower bunk or the double on the other side.

I plan to build in slide away tambour wooden doors to give the bunks some privacy, and some sort of sliding or accordion door on the master double.
8' (96") is probably your outside dimension.

Subtract 1.5" x 2 for walls. 96" - 3" = 93"

Subtract 54" for your Double. 93" - 54" = 39"

Subtract 32" for your Twins. 39" - 32" = 7"

That's really no room for any sort of walkway, let alone tambour bunk + accordion master doors. :(
Old 03-04-2015, 04:57 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4Runner View Post
8' (96") is probably your outside dimension.

Subtract 1.5" x 2 for walls. 96" - 3" = 93"

Subtract 54" for your Double. 93" - 54" = 39"

Subtract 32" for your Twins. 39" - 32" = 7"

That's really no room for any sort of walkway, let alone tambour bunk + accordion master doors. :(
I think your numbers are pretty close to right on. That 7 inches will go to a wall between the bunks and the double. That wall will have a pocket in it that will house the retracted tambour doors. I may have a couple inches to work with on either side of it...

At the rear of the camper and bedroom, there will be pretty much wall to wall mattress.

At the front of the bedroom, there will be a wedge cut into my double mattress, about 18 inches wide, about 2 feet deep, that will deduct from foot room (about 10 inches less foot space than head space) while sleeping, but will give a place to stand, and either enter the double or the lower bunk.

As you said, there will be not much space between the bunks, even at the foot, which is why I am removing that wardrobe in the hallway, as an access to the upper bunk that will not need to be serviced by that tiny space between the bunks.
Old 03-04-2015, 05:19 PM   #5

Serious question. While you can do that why not consider either trading the new unit for a bunkhouse model or getting a couple of tents? As long as you can sleep everybody inside if you have to the kids are getting to an age where they want different hours than you do. My parents did that with me and my brothers. We were still tenting when my kids were that age and I solved the problem by buying them each a small tent. They still have and use them 20 years later.

Then there is the issue that the oldest probably only has another 3 years before he gets too busy to travel with you.
Old 03-04-2015, 05:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
Serious question. While you can do that why not consider either trading the new unit for a bunkhouse model or getting a couple of tents? As long as you can sleep everybody inside if you have to the kids are getting to an age where they want different hours than you do. My parents did that with me and my brothers. We were still tenting when my kids were that age and I solved the problem by buying them each a small tent. They still have and use them 20 years later.

Then there is the issue that the oldest probably only has another 3 years before he gets too busy to travel with you.
Again, another post that is right on the money!

When camping in campgrounds with friends, ( we have 5 or 6 families that we often camp with) the girls usually have a tent, and the boys have a tent) In those cases, my wife and I have the camper to ourselves.

When camping with only one other family, the kids don't generally want to use tents, but trade off sharing campers.

When camping alone, or visiting family in another state, I want the ability for my family to all bed down in their own beds, without the need for sleeping outside.

Also, I have at least 3 large tents, and several small tents, from my years as a backpacker, tent camper, scout master, and for other reasons. I could probably house 25 people in my camping tents if I wanted. (I have never brought that many people camping)

I know I am on the loosing side of time with the kids. It will not be long till the bunks will be empty, as they will have their own lives to live, and not want to go with their lame parents anywhere, including camping. But for the time being, I want to be able to house us all with as much comfort as possible.

As to getting a larger camper, not gonna happen. This one is too big. I am also too cheap. I got this one for a very short price, because of the total weirdness of the previous owner. I do not have a great deal of money to invest in a camper that is already built as I want it. As I am cheap and handy, I bought what I could, and will rebuild it as I want.

Rebunking this camper is not the whole project. All the carpet is coming out and hardwood floors (or laminate) is going in, and over the next couple years, the appliances will also likely all be replaced as well. I am just starting here...

So, has anyone seen this kind of bunk arrangements? I have seen something similar with a slide out for the bunks, but not in an older camper with no slide out...
Old 03-05-2015, 04:54 PM   #7

Minor correction

Small correction, a testament to how cold an snowy this winter was in the Boston area...

This camper is 34 feet, not 36. My brain must have added two feet of cobwebs.
Old 03-05-2015, 05:20 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post

I know I am on the loosing side of time with the kids. It will not be long till the bunks will be empty, as they will have their own lives to live, and not want to go with their lame parents anywhere, including camping. But for the time being, I want to be able to house us all with as much comfort as possible.
They will only be gone for a short time. Once they have left they seem to discover it was not that bad and realize how good they had it at home and want to return to participate in the good times.
Old 03-05-2015, 05:46 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
They will only be gone for a short time. Once they have left they seem to discover it was not that bad and realize how good they had it at home and want to return to participate in the good times.
I am sure it sounds bad, and as much as I love my children, I had my oldest just before my 40th birthday, so at 55 I am actually looking forward 10 years or so, and thinking grand children will be fun.

I am having a pretty good time with my teenagers, but it is also a trying time. It takes a better man than me to keep and even keel with all my trials and tribulations they put me thru...

But all kidding aside, I know these next couple years are going to be it for a while... Then they will be back...
Old 03-06-2015, 12:31 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Karl, I say, if the bones on the old girl are good, do with her how you see fit! One thing about MH's is you can make them how ever you want! As long as you are handy, and you sound to be!
There are a lot of good people on this site, and will help you any way they can! Take lots of pic's, as we like to see the progress, and we will chime in if we can add anything!
Welcome!! Rail!
Old 03-06-2015, 05:31 PM   #11

I don't think it's a common commercial layout, just because space is tight, but that doesn't mean that a handy person can't do it on their own!

We did a pretty extensive renovation in ours (paint, Allure flooring, and added a 2nd dinette). Totally worth it, especially the family time both building and enjoying our completed handiwork.
Old 03-09-2015, 09:01 AM   #12

Where is your power center? Usually it's installed in one of the twins or the nightstand. A 7" walkway between beds isn't going to give much room to lay on the floor and repair/replace. Same goes for the fresh water tank and pump, usually under one of the twins. Reducing the width to 32" may not be wide enough to house the water tank and power center. (assuming yours has the water tank & power center under one twin, genset under the other)
Old 03-11-2015, 06:59 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 429CV23 View Post
Where is your power center? Usually it's installed in one of the twins or the nightstand. A 7" walkway between beds isn't going to give much room to lay on the floor and repair/replace. Same goes for the fresh water tank and pump, usually under one of the twins. Reducing the width to 32" may not be wide enough to house the water tank and power center. (assuming yours has the water tank & power center under one twin, genset under the other)
I still have to learn a lot of terms and abbreviations.

By Power Center, are you speaking of the primary inverter/service disconnect?

I have an inverter that creates 12 volts from the incoming 120 volts land line, but that is located under the Refrigerator in the main cabin.

This Fleetwood Southwind is what I would guess is a full basement model, and the water tank is under the passenger side bunk, but also under the floor, and access to it is outside. The water compartment has the water tank and pump, and seems insulated. I traced out the furnace ductwork, and one 4 inch hose (duct) goes into that compartment, to prevent freezing in winter camping, I presume.

The generator is under the drivers side bunk, as you suggested, but it too is under the floor, and is accessed from outside. Behind the same door that contains the generator is a storage area that holds that 30 Amp Landline. I have not checked how it delivers the 120 volts up to the kitchen area, which is mid camper, on the other side. (Passenger side).

Speaking of this under the floor arrangement, the grey and black water tanks are also under the floor of the bathroom, which is just forward of the bedroom and drivers side bunk. I have not checked to see if it is heated, but I suspect it might be. The blade valves for draining this are also in this compartment, but there is a door and 3 inch drain hose that exits straight down from this compartment for draining the tanks.

So, too late for a short story, but the floor in the bedroom under the bunks is pretty flat. There are some water pipes that exit the bathroom under the wall and go on top of the floor and then down into somewhere I have not traced yet. (Seem to be in the area of the waste water compartment, but perhaps are water drain lines, or just water lines that go under the floor to come up on the other side for the kitchen. (Water heater is under bath room counter (Driver's side), and kitchen is across the camper and forward)

On the passenger side, there is a 4 inch duct that would heat the bedroom from the furnace (which may be under the oven, if I recall properly).

So, floor under the entire bedroom is flat, and pretty clear. (except for wires for outlets and a bit like that.)

There is a box that lifts the floor in the wardrobe that I am removing as a stair access to the upper bunk. That wardrobe has two pipes that go from this box to roof, and appear to be vents for the plumbing system. Odd arrangements, as they are 8 feet from the nearest sink, but may go down into the water compartment. I think this whole box is forward of the white water tank compartment. I will investigate more soon, as the snow is finally melting.

As to there only being 7 inches between bunks is not quite right. There will be a space approx 14 to 18 inches wide and about 24 inches deep as you enter what is now the bedroom. There will be a wedge a few inches wide expanding to 10 inches wide cut from the double bed mattress to accommodate this. It will reduce my foot space, but give a point that can be used to access either the lower bunk or the double on the other side.

I will be including pictures when I get this constructed that will make much of this much more understand able.

Also, at the beginning of this posting I said I did not understand some terms and abbreviations. What is a DW? Others posted that their DW was driving as an example.

There are others. How do I find what these abbreviations mean?
Old 03-16-2015, 07:59 AM   #14

DW means Dear Wife, DH is husband, DSIL is son in law and so on. These are just internet acronyms- you can google for a list if you're unfamiliar with forum abbreviations

Your Southwind has all the plumbing in the (heated) basement; you may find some wiring under the bed(s) but that is movable. Structurally, your idea should work, but...

Do take care that all can access the big escape window in back- VERY important that this can still be opened with the bed arrangement as you foresee it.

Something else you might find workable is what what was in some older Winnebago Class As of that era; a Pullman style bunk over the front seats which would during driving locked tight against the ceiling but pulled down to just over the seat backs for sleeping. There was a curtain which gave it privacy. Its been so long I don't remember how the pulldown mechanism worked, but it would certainly utilize some otherwise wasted space.