Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-14-2016, 05:18 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
So Excited!!! I found a barn for storage for the Holiday Rambler

I just found a guy renting a spot in a barn that my RV will fit in for only a few bucks more a month than what it would cost to park it outside for the winter. My rv is 20 years old but its in real nice shape because it was previously stored under a canopy and I was worried about it getting messed up now that it wouldn't be anymore. Now I just need to worry about the critters If anyone has any storage suggestions or stores theirs in a similar kind of place and could let me know what to prepare for please fill me in. I heard peppermint oil on a rag and placed around the inside of the vehicle is a good deterrent for mice.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2016, 12:41 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_elegance View Post
I just found a guy renting a spot in a barn that my RV will fit in for only a few bucks more a month than what it would cost to park it outside for the winter. My rv is 20 years old but its in real nice shape because it was previously stored under a canopy and I was worried about it getting messed up now that it wouldn't be anymore. Now I just need to worry about the critters If anyone has any storage suggestions or stores theirs in a similar kind of place and could let me know what to prepare for please fill me in. I heard peppermint oil on a rag and placed around the inside of the vehicle is a good deterrent for mice.
If you are worried about killing the mice inhumanly don't. They are not on the endangered species list. Just use the poison in the packets around the motorhome. The "safe" things are not effective, at least for us, we are in the country and, have lots of mice

Old 11-14-2016, 12:44 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Traps, Cats, Mint Oil, Fresh Cab (on amazon)

congrats and good luck !
Old 11-14-2016, 05:46 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
d elegance,

We use a farmer's barn for storage. It is opened on one side and the rear end of the rig faces that side. There are 5 RVs in this barn. I noticed 2 of the RVs had put moth balls around and underneath their Rv's. We decided what the heck, might as well do that too. Worked like a charm in 2015.

Ours did not get any critter damage but the ones without it did.

Before we drove the MH in this year we spread moth balls around. We keep watch over them over the winter and if they start to dissolve we replace them.

Inside we put dryer sheets. Get them at the dollar store. Lay them around on the floor, inside the bays or basements, inside closets and drawers, under the sink. Place smells nice, spiders and all others do NOT like the smell and stay away.

All this has worked for us. Not a single, mouse, spider, bee, or critter Now bird poop is another thing.

Good luck, it is nice to have a place that is covered for your rig. Ours is a 2004 and we want to keep it nice so we store it inside and under a roof.

LB
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 05:51 AM   #5

Dryer sheets are very useful because the mice tear them up and make their nest in it - which is better than them using your bedding. Previous owners read about using dryer sheets and when we arrived to pick up the MH there were a heap of mice inside.

I blitz the area with large amounts of rat bait, set mouse traps inside and lay a couple of glue traps as well. Also put a couple of lots of mothballs near major electrical wiring concentrations near the engine and in the front of the drivers dashboard. We leave the MH for up to 2 years in a storage yard near Lancaster CA and haven't had any problems in 6 years.
There is never any of the rat bait left so there certainly are mice and rats around. Guess I crash the population so much that they take a while to build up to nuisance levels again
Old 11-16-2016, 01:19 AM   #6

I know we use Rosemary oil for cleaning our house and as bug repellent. Seems to work well, but can't say for long term storage ..
Old 11-21-2016, 12:50 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano56 View Post
If you are worried about killing the mice inhumanly don't. They are not on the endangered species list. Just use the poison in the packets around the motorhome. The "safe" things are not effective, at least for us, we are in the country and, have lots of mice
Oh not to worry, I am not worried about doing anything inhumanly to rats or mice. Especially when it come to destroying something I worked hard for. I know they like to chew up wires and they will chew up the upholstery and make rats nests if they some how get inside. That is what I am worried about. I actually picked up some electric rat traps that shock them to death I thought you might like to hear that. Just the thought of what they will potentially do makes me weigh my options whether it better to keep it in my driveway for the winter or park it in the barn.
Old 11-21-2016, 12:53 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
Traps, Cats, Mint Oil, Fresh Cab (on amazon)

congrats and good luck !
Thank you for the reply. I have heard peppermint oil is a natural repellent for rats/mice. My ex boss had a friend with vintage cars that would put rags with it on them in his cars to keep them out.
Old 11-21-2016, 01:04 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamisl View Post
d elegance,

We use a farmer's barn for storage. It is opened on one side and the rear end of the rig faces that side. There are 5 RVs in this barn. I noticed 2 of the RVs had put moth balls around and underneath their Rv's. We decided what the heck, might as well do that too. Worked like a charm in 2015.

Ours did not get any critter damage but the ones without it did.

Before we drove the MH in this year we spread moth balls around. We keep watch over them over the winter and if they start to dissolve we replace them.

Inside we put dryer sheets. Get them at the dollar store. Lay them around on the floor, inside the bays or basements, inside closets and drawers, under the sink. Place smells nice, spiders and all others do NOT like the smell and stay away.

All this has worked for us. Not a single, mouse, spider, bee, or critter Now bird poop is another thing.

Good luck, it is nice to have a place that is covered for your rig. Ours is a 2004 and we want to keep it nice so we store it inside and under a roof.

LB
Wow thank you for all that information. I will definitely do all those things if i decide to keep it there. I know it will be better out of the elements but what the critters can to to it is far worst than the sun, rain, or snow in a short time at least. This will be totally enclosed so hopefully small insects and rats or mice will be the only concern. I will make sure I have plenty of moth ball and dryer sheet when I take it to store it there. That is if the spot is still available. I have been unsure of what to do and have not gotten back with him about the spot. I am actually making a deal to put two convertibles and another classic car in there also and am really concerned about them being damaged by mice. Especially the convertibles because the mice can just chew themselves rite threw the roof to get in.
Old 11-21-2016, 01:15 AM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Lee View Post
Dryer sheets are very useful because the mice tear them up and make their nest in it - which is better than them using your bedding. Previous owners read about using dryer sheets and when we arrived to pick up the MH there were a heap of mice inside.

I blitz the area with large amounts of rat bait, set mouse traps inside and lay a couple of glue traps as well. Also put a couple of lots of mothballs near major electrical wiring concentrations near the engine and in the front of the drivers dashboard. We leave the MH for up to 2 years in a storage yard near Lancaster CA and haven't had any problems in 6 years.
There is never any of the rat bait left so there certainly are mice and rats around. Guess I crash the population so much that they take a while to build up to nuisance levels again
Thank you for the reply. I sure appreciate the input. It looks like I will be buying allot of dryer sheets and rat bait if I so choose to park any of my vehicles in this barn. I am not sure I want to risk paring my convertibles in there because they can just chew rite thew the tops to get in. Than I will have ruined tops and interiors if the moth balls, dryer sheets, and rat bait run out before I get back to check on them.
Old 11-21-2016, 01:57 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano56 View Post
Oh I finally got why you thought i was trying to deal with the humanly... lol

It was because of the peppermint oil i was talking about. no no no... I wasn't I just heard it kept them away. If I could keep them away then I wouldn't need to worry about them getting in. Kind of like thieves don't like bright lights or barking dogs Then is they still venture part that then they can deal with the traps and bait just like a thief would deal with Smith & Wesson
Old 11-21-2016, 09:47 AM   #12

Fresh cab at tractor supply absolutely works better than dryer sheets, little bags you place under rig, on wheels, and inside. Works works works!

Tags
holiday rambler, storage