Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2012, 09:17 PM   #127

But if you don't run a filter before the pump, you run the risk of destroying the pump. The one I use is a standard automotive in-line filter.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2012, 09:23 PM   #128

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
OK.. but theres a reason the OEMs use a free flowing screen or 'sock' and not an actual, restrictive, filter..

You kind of learn all this when trying to adapt a Subaru or LS to plane use..
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 09:30 PM   #129

Everybody I dune with uses an automotive filter before the pump. Most of us have LSx motors and no cavitation or starvation or pump failure.

Old 04-20-2012, 09:41 PM   #130

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Cool..

Page 3: http://www.holley.com/data/Products/...199R7914-3.pdf

https://www.google.com/search?q=filt...ient=firefox-a
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:09 PM   #131

Looks like some do and some don't use a filter before. The pumps we use are high pressure EFI pumps. Most of us run ~58#s.

I did see this on the Holly site.

"We strongly urge the use of a coarse screen-type filter before the pump and a high quality filter after the pump."

Old 04-21-2012, 04:50 AM   #132

So it was the pump afterall.That sounds vaguely familiar as a suggestion.For yrs in Astro/Safari vans we suggested Delco only pumps and recently We purchased one to find it no longer had the spec for pressure.We contacted Delco's tech line and it was explained that the volume was the important factor.Guess they are selling crossover models to save costs of manufacturing.Further searches found Delhi was still sell pumps that are the pressure and volume spec.

My point here is to do your homework on even brand name pumps and what is the spec.I also agree with a sock filter before and a filter after the pump.
Old 04-21-2012, 06:18 AM   #133

The filter I use has 3/8" in/out and flows enough for over 400 hP at over 6000 RPM. Being EFI, it doesn't need as much as a carb would.My mileage doubled after I went to EFI on my Turbo 2.2L WV engine.

Old 04-21-2012, 11:24 PM   #134

ya, flea, it was mentioned a couple three times, (so was rebuilding the carb?) but i just wanted to stepbystep it until it felt right.

b'sides, NEEDED to get to the woods friday, so on the way home from work thurs only quick path was a new pump. at that point i still dint know if pump or tank blockage, but since i could bring home a pump and if that was it, it'd be fixed. but the tank was different.... anyhow, how frequently does a newish pump run its motor and yet not pump right? i dunno, just askin'

am
allegroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 07:44 AM   #135

Not that this is any kind of hot rod,but if you "T" off a input line and here is kind of a important part,place a fuel pressure gauge where it can be viewed while driving outside of the vehicle like on the cowl,then anytime that happens you kind of know what the problem is.

The cheap junk pumps like Airtex running pumps not pumping are often.
fleamarketer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 12:56 PM   #136

flea, i had considered a gauge, and there's a place for one on the regulator, but i figured a clear filter added just before the engine would accomplish the mission, just have to understand how much in the bowl is 'normal' and go from there. running with the doghouse open to watch it is easy, and the noise and heat are only temporary inconvenience since i won't (likely) have to repeat this again, at least not for a while.

oh, and what's this crap about my rig NOT being a 'hot rod'???? huh???
am
Old 05-06-2012, 05:11 PM   #137

Just in case the problem comes back, you might try loosening the gas cap. My 89 Southwind with a 454 Quadrajet started running out of power about 50 miles after filling tank, changed filters,ran fine for 50 miles,same thing. removed gas cap, heard a whoosh, placed cap on loosley, no more problem. Bought new gas cap,900 mile trip last month,no problem,I guess the vent in the old cap didn't vent much anymore.
ARTWERKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 03:14 AM   #138

i think i left it in the kitchen?

art, i tried the gas cap back a few steps. 'sides, if it was the cap, replacing the pump would have had no effect, but in fact, it seems to have done the trick.

no starting for over a week and today she started right up. maybe she wants to go someplace. maybe she doesn't like the dog scratching his back on her unders. dunno. just glad she's happy with me again!
thanks for the input. am