Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2012, 10:06 AM   #57

I previously owned a 1988 coach on a John Deere chassis (Ford 460, C-6 transmission - no overdrive or lockup torque converter - fuel economy was not a concern when this drivetrain was developed). The "y" in the fuel line near the engine was a factory recall item, and there is an orifice in it to limit the amount of fuel returned to the tank. The return line is rubber hose, and it's a long way back to the tank. They had a lot of trouble with vapor-lock, and fuel pump problems with that chassis. The factory rep. had me replace the factory Walbro fuel pump with a "blue" Holley pump. I also installed a marine spin-on fuel filter/water seperator and base between the tank and the pump (the filter was a standard Mercruser filter - about the same size as the oil filter on the engine - and the base was from NAPA). I removed the other fuel filters, except for the generator filter.

Th exhaust manifolds on these engines were notorious for cracking and braking off the bolts/studs. I replaced them with headers and a free flow exhaust system. In the prcess I cut the muffler open and found it was extremely constrictive.

I suggest you look at both the fuel system ant the exhaust. Replace any rubber hose in the fuel system, and look at restrictions in the exhaust. You don't have a catylic converter to worry about.

For anyone who may not know These JD chassis were the old Dodge rails updated by Deere with 4 weel disc brakes and the Ford drivetrain. Eventually the manufacturing rights were purchased by Freightliner. Freightliner is owned by Diamler who owned Chrysler (Dodge) for a time, so these rails came back to their roots.
RV Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2012, 10:13 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
My '89 has the John Deere/Oshkosh chassis and 460 ford with carb. The places that say there were no carb'd 460's after 1988 are not talking about RV's/medium duty trucks were I am told they had carbs through 1990.

but, you just might have an early EFI 460.. Take a picture and post it then we'll see...
Hey I have a 91 Silver eagle on an Oshkosh chassis with a ford 460 topped with a holly carb. runs great just cannot find the correct oil pressure cutoff switch for the fuel pump, so I have a jumper in there for now.
Bilito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:15 AM   #59

Quote:
The "y" in the fuel line near the engine was a factory recall item, and there is an orifice in it to limit the amount of fuel returned to the tank.
Thanks for that piece of info RV Bubba. Like I said before, there are exceptions. It's always possible the orfice in the "Y" is plugged not allowing the fuel to circulate. Fuel circulation helps keep the fuel cooled off.

Dunner: Mostly it's a matter of letting Google be your friend. Just have to be creative in your search words sometimes.

Dave
Classic Winnebago Site: https://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:21 AM   #60

I've been using "Give me back my GOOGLE™. Cuts down on the spam. Try it.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:52 AM   #61

You win, Dave.

Found out what I have.

Old 04-02-2012, 11:15 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
Flea, what's a 565 RED? Google came up with anywhere from a Road to a Cummins.

If you want something "Stinky", I have a `97 Dodge Ram Diesel that I call Stinky.
2 oz per 5 gallons.RED=rear engine dragster.Our's is a 7.90 car with a glide.
fleamarketer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 11:29 AM   #63

That's quick... if it's for a 1/4 mile.

I'll see what size AZ carries. Thx.

Old 04-02-2012, 12:00 PM   #64

You mean your Carter AFBs? Carter Carbs Carb Carburetors Kits 9635 9636 9637 9502 9503 9504 9755 9641 9658

I play with their spreadbore cousin the Carter Thermoquad (stock carb on my Dodge MH Chassis)

Dave
Old 04-02-2012, 12:02 PM   #65

It is the end result of 18 yrs of buy/ finish/race/sell 9.90 cars with one national win in London,Canada.My RV is 1981 P30 Winnebago with a SBC 350 and a 400 trans.I'm a semi retired master mechanic of 40 yrs.Personal projects on the board is a custom 1989 383 SBC Astro van for towing a vendor trailer with a 700R4 and Ford 9".And of course remodeling the RV.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:04 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave78Chief View Post
You mean your Carter AFBs? Carter Carbs Carb Carburetors Kits 9635 9636 9637 9502 9503 9504 9755 9641 9658

I play with their spreadbore cousin the Carter Thermoquad (stock carb on my Dodge MH Chassis)

Dave
I had one on my 340 1974 Dodge Dart Sport until I replaced with a Holley.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:35 PM   #67

Dave, I found this: http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/carterafbtuning.pdf

I like that ad. * No Power Valve, No Sticky Gaskets, No Problems

I had the quadro-junks on my SBC 400 C.I. Chevy pick-up.

Flea, I don't know about now, but early Holly carbs were known for splashing the fuel out of the bowl when on a bumpy surface. I.E. off-road, sand dunes, etc.

Old 04-02-2012, 12:49 PM   #68

Thanks for the Link. BTW The Carter TQ (not to be confused with the Rochester Quadrajet) was based on the Carter AFB. Books like How to Rebuild and Modify Carter, Edelbrock Carburetors | CarTech get into some of this. Which opens up the fact that Edelbrock is also tied in with all these. And because at one time Rochester was short on mfg facility, Carter even produced the Quadrajet for Rochester for a few years.

Dave
Old 04-02-2012, 12:56 PM   #69

It's been a while, but I think I had the Rochester QJ. I played a little bit with the jets, rods and when the secondaries tipped in.

Old 04-02-2012, 03:59 PM   #70

I had to do a swap from a TBI to carb on a Astro for a engine swap for a customer yrs ago.There was a retired guy here in Roch that worked at Rochester Products.I was having a problem dialing in the carb and getting metering rods because the gov made Rochester Products stop making the mod kits for them.So I took the van to him and walked into his personal garage which was a car and 1/2.LOL-man all four walls where filled top to bottom with carb parts.He tells me his sets them up for the circle track guys in the summer as a sideline for gas for his boat.That what he has you can't get.Two days later the van is running like a top.