Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-19-2012, 06:18 PM   #113

Just remembered how my brother got the cellophane out. He put hand fulls of pea gravel in the fill neck and shook them out till the cellophane came out. The `37 Chevy had a 283 SB and 4 spd in it.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2012, 08:20 PM   #114

Talk yourself into a complete repair and that will no doubt include dropping the tank.If you end up repairing a threaded stud to a tank strap,well the is apart of the repair and you should accept it.

Old 04-19-2012, 09:18 PM   #115

'nother chapter, watson!

ahhhh, the wonderful '53 merc.... had one as a kid back in ct. bought it from my friend who owned a junk yard, donnie lajoi by name, think it was maybe 50.00 or so, not much. thing was, that flattie ran so sweet, you could place a glass of water on the engine, rev it up and never spill a drop. idled so quiet i almost lost a hand in the fan.

as for my tank setup, it has two lines low in the front of the tank. one is the feed and goes to the pump which is mounted right there at the tank. i was told pumps push fine, just don't pull worth a dern. 2nd line is the return from the 'y' at the engine.

here's today's saga. way home from work bought new pump, hoses, clamps, seafoam (you guys dint think to tell me 10.00 a can???) and clear filter.

1st, ran the feed line into half gal pickle jar and let it fill about 3/4. gas gushed out like a garden hose and was clean and clear.

next, removed the old pump and installed the new one, which is rated at up to 9lbs, 30gph (min?). old one was to 6lbs but more gph. pump has a metal pre-filter, as required by mfgr, but i also added a clear one before that, ie right out of the tank to see what was going on.

key on, pump filled front filter, maybe just a bit more than old pump? ran engine until it came to temp, then ran a bit above a real fast idle, guessing 2k? ran for 5 mins, no issues, watching the bowl the whole time. it was too late to road test, but will try it tomorrow am.

checked new filter out back and it was also clean and clear.

i'm not sayin' it's fixed until after i get a good run tomorrow out to the boonies where i go, and have no trouble. at that point i'll think it was the mr gasket 12s pump that failed. not that there couldn't still be issues in the background, but i'm slightly optimistically hopeful.

i'm still prayin' i don't need to drop the tank in the end.
will let y'all know if she's happy with me out in the woods tomorrow!

am
Old 04-19-2012, 09:34 PM   #116

That would have been my next suggestion; take the line off at the tank and see if it flow'd good. I'm bettin' fix'd. You might have to adjust the regulator with the increased pressure. If it is fine while driving, but misses over bumps, you have too much pressure.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:37 PM   #117

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
If it does run/work now, do NOT forget to take the pre-pump filter off...
Old 04-19-2012, 11:55 PM   #118

A carb works just like taking a pop bottle with water and taking a air hose and blowing across the top. The water(gas) will be sucked out of the bottle and sprayed(atomized).
Old 04-20-2012, 12:20 AM   #119

The "Experts" tell me I should run a filter before and after the pump on my sand rail. Funny, been running the same filter and pump since 2002 without a problem.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:01 AM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by allegroman View Post
ahhhh, the wonderful '53 merc.... had one as a kid back in ct. bought it from my friend who owned a junk yard, donnie lajoi by name, think it was maybe 50.00 or so, not much. thing was, that flattie ran so sweet, you could place a glass of water on the engine, rev it up and never spill a drop. idled so quiet i almost lost a hand in the fan.

as for my tank setup, it has two lines low in the front of the tank. one is the feed and goes to the pump which is mounted right there at the tank. i was told pumps push fine, just don't pull worth a dern. 2nd line is the return from the 'y' at the engine.

here's today's saga. way home from work bought new pump, hoses, clamps, seafoam (you guys dint think to tell me 10.00 a can???) and clear filter.

1st, ran the feed line into half gal pickle jar and let it fill about 3/4. gas gushed out like a garden hose and was clean and clear.

next, removed the old pump and installed the new one, which is rated at up to 9lbs, 30gph (min?). old one was to 6lbs but more gph. pump has a metal pre-filter, as required by mfgr, but i also added a clear one before that, ie right out of the tank to see what was going on.

key on, pump filled front filter, maybe just a bit more than old pump? ran engine until it came to temp, then ran a bit above a real fast idle, guessing 2k? ran for 5 mins, no issues, watching the bowl the whole time. it was too late to road test, but will try it tomorrow am.

checked new filter out back and it was also clean and clear.

i'm not sayin' it's fixed until after i get a good run tomorrow out to the boonies where i go, and have no trouble. at that point i'll think it was the mr gasket 12s pump that failed. not that there couldn't still be issues in the background, but i'm slightly optimistically hopeful.

i'm still prayin' i don't need to drop the tank in the end.
will let y'all know if she's happy with me out in the woods tomorrow!

am
Northern tool here in Miami has Seafoam on sale at 7.95 a can.
If your problems were my problems and I hab enough 5 gal can around to use, what I would do is pour the seafoam in the tank drive the rv around the block stopping and starting a lot to stir everything up in the tank and then drain it all out into the cans using the West Marine fuel & water sepearting filter and then pour the gas back in the tank using the same funnel after you clean it first why, you might have crap in your 5 gal cans. When you take the last few gallons of the gas out of the fuel tank you will be surprised at the junk that cones out with it and gets caught in the funnel filter.
This spring we drained the two gal tank on my rider mower that sat almost full all winter long in the shed, I got about a large jigger of water out of that small tank along with some crud. That filter funnel is amazing but expensive, A boater friend told me about it a few yeras ago.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:33 AM   #121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilito View Post
Northern tool here in Miami has Seafoam on sale at 7.95 a can.
If your problems were my problems and I hab enough 5 gal can around to use, what I would do is pour the seafoam in the tank drive the rv around the block stopping and starting a lot to stir everything up in the tank and then drain it all out into the cans using the West Marine fuel & water sepearting filter and then pour the gas back in the tank using the same funnel after you clean it first why, you might have crap in your 5 gal cans. When you take the last few gallons of the gas out of the fuel tank you will be surprised at the junk that cones out with it and gets caught in the funnel filter.
This spring we drained the two gal tank on my rider mower that sat almost full all winter long in the shed, I got about a large jigger of water out of that small tank along with some crud. That filter funnel is amazing but expensive, A boater friend told me about it a few yeras ago.
Here is a picture of my fuel pump and filter, By the time I figured out how to make the flash in the camera work the battery was exhausted, but I did find right on the bottom of my tank at the leading lower end is drain much like the one in the rear end.
Think I am gonna take my own advice and drain that tank thru the west marine filter funnel, just gotta round up about 5 or 6ea 5 gal gas cans. I have two, my next door neighbor has two, and I think the guy across the street has a couple. I have just over a 1/4 of a tank and the tank holds 90 gal so 6 cans outa do it plus I have a couple 1 gal mower cans. I am real curious what is gonna come out of that tank. The RV sat for 4 years before I got it.
I plan to take a run up to Ocala in June to visit my brother, don't want to end up broken down on the side of the road, without doing all I can to prevent that from happening. I put several cans of seafoam in there a few months ago, that should help drain out all the crud in there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fuel pump anf filter 001.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	177.1 KB
ID:	20207  
Old 04-20-2012, 10:32 AM   #122

Bilito, I think it would be better to get a good flow going by draining it as fast as you can, then filter it on the way back in. That way, it would help get whatever is sitting on the bottom of the tank out.

If it were me, I would get rid of the Holly pump and put a Carter on. Myself and others have had problems with them leaking. Never had a problem with a Carter.
Old 04-20-2012, 01:14 PM   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
Bilito, I think it would be better to get a good flow going by draining it as fast as you can, then filter it on the way back in. That way, it would help get whatever is sitting on the bottom of the tank out.

If it were me, I would get rid of the Holly pump and put a Carter on. Myself and others have had problems with them leaking. Never had a problem with a Carter.
good point but can only get 5 gal out at a time, I was thinking to use the old thumb in hole method to start and stop the flow, I do have some rubber hoses under there between the tank and pump, Think I will change them while the tank is empty. They are forcasting rain down here all weekend and I am still woring on repairing the insided rotted wall, just finished gluing the luan in place and have alll the foam cut and ready to glue in next, taking a break to let that liquid nails set up more
Old 04-20-2012, 01:20 PM   #124

Was just a thought.
Old 04-20-2012, 04:51 PM   #125

mayby yes! the final chapter... frank sinatra, right?

took my 24 yr old sweetheart to the woods today and she sang a sweet song all the way there and back again. looks favorable that the problem is solved, at least for now.

i'll wait a bit before putting in the seafoam, until tank is not quite so full, dilution and all. draining and refill is good advice. i wonder how it would work to do the filtering like in an oil pan.... use a pump and run it from tank outlet thru a bunch if filters, then right back into the tank at the filler.

as for the pre filters on the pumps, mfgr says warranty void if no filter, so the filter stays, even the added clear one before that. the way gas gushed out of the tank when i was sampling gas at the tank hose, i think there's prob enough pressure from the tank volume to overcome any resistance added due to extra filters.

so, all in all, fuel problem is corrected, and onward and upward, as they say. unfortunately, when i hit the road this am i found my fridge was 78 deg, not it's usual 36! crap. more to contend with. guess i'll open another thread and hope y'all will join me in my next adventure.

been a pleasure being part of this knowledgeable group. thanks for the help!

am
Old 04-20-2012, 10:06 PM   #126

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
The "Experts" tell me I should run a filter before and after the pump on my sand rail. Funny, been running the same filter and pump since 2002 without a problem.
The problem with using filters before the pump is that you create a restriction that can lead to pump cavitation, starvation and vapor lock.. You should have something like a 100 micron screen, just not a 'normal' fuel filter..