Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2012, 01:27 AM   #29

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Carb is short for carbohhdrate which is a food, either a sugar, simple carb, or a starch, complex carb, that fuels the body. Many people feel the need to keep accurate count of how many they consume. While some people swear carbs will make you fat, others dispute this and athletes often eat massive amounts of carbs prior to a strenous event...

Ok, I know. Different carb. It's late, I can't get to sleep so I thought maybe I should come harrass you engine guys. I'll go away now and leave you to the serious work of trying to get this '88 Allegro running again.

Good luck!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2012, 02:33 AM   #30

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Also, part of your problem could be the power valve has been ruptured.
Was my guess also... One backfire is all it takes..
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 02:37 AM   #31

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilito View Post
If carbruators suck so much why do many of the monster drag race motors use them?
Carbs can actually make more power than fuel injected. And, they can get better mileage, but only in the specific conditions its tuned for. Fuel injection is better at a wider range of conditions.
Old 03-31-2012, 02:42 AM   #32

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by allegroman View Post

oh yes, this rig is also built on a deere chassis. one question i have about it, this is an 88 allegro with a carbed 460 ford.... internet keeps saying no fords used carbed 460 in 1988 or later...

also, what is meant by efi engine? is that what i have? plumbing pipes everwhich way and place? if there was an empty space they stuck a pipe in it?
My '89 has the John Deere/Oshkosh chassis and 460 ford with carb. The places that say there were no carb'd 460's after 1988 are not talking about RV's/medium duty trucks were I am told they had carbs through 1990.

but, you just might have an early EFI 460.. Take a picture and post it then we'll see...
Old 03-31-2012, 04:04 AM   #33

If it has a carburetor, it is not Electronic Fuel Injection(EFI). Maybe I missed it AM, but did you replace the fuel filters? 4-7 PSI is about right for a carb. Try this: Disconnect the fuel line at the carb and put a can below it. Briefly turn the key on and see if you get a good thick stream of gas out of the line. If it is a weak stream, you have a blockage somewhere.

There were some early EFI systems that used a throttle body for injection. It looked kinda like a carb, but by what you are describing, it sounds like a Holly carb.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 04:56 AM   #34

Ford Super Duty Owner
sounds like exhaust plugged up,cat converter plugged or exhaust pipe colapsed.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:03 AM   #35

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Ford started using EFI in their 1988 chassis, so in 1988 you could get a carbureted or EFI chassis. Model year of MH does not necesssarily match the year of the chassis. My 1988 is on a 1987 chassis.
Old 03-31-2012, 10:57 AM   #36

Nor'easters Club
I have seen rubber hoses swell, collapse, and/or soften due to age & exposure to fuel. The fuel is then choked off from flowing properly and it gives the symptom of a clogged filter. So check & replace the filters and the hoses too.
Old 03-31-2012, 11:47 AM   #37

Ford Super Duty Owner
That (Holley) style is really the best carb for WOT operation. My fave is this
Edelbrock 1400 Edelbrock Performer Carburetors
or which ever one of the 600 cfm ones fits your 460 best.
Of course if you are in California, good luck.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 12:24 AM   #38

id love to pull the hose to the carb, but it isn't a hose, it's a metal pipe. kinda hard to drop it to drizzle gas into a can. i'll have to open line just before the pressure reg and see where that goes...

see what you mean about not being efi... i thought it meant efficient fuel intake.... all the pipes, ya know. but no, not a fuelly, just a carbohydrater.\

thanks, so far. am
allegroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 12:44 AM   #39

Disconnect the steel fuel line at the carb and slip a garden hose on the end, then stick it in a bucket. If it takes a hour to fill the bucket, you gots a problem. If only minutes..... your choice of what to do with the gas. I could offer suggestions, but you neighbors wouldn't like it and neither would the EPA or local fire department.

Old 04-01-2012, 12:47 AM   #40

Dunner's i-lids are slamming shut. L8TR dude.

Old 04-01-2012, 02:12 AM   #41

"There is no such thing as suck. Higher pressure air pushes into lower pressure area, thus there is no suck, only push."

That's why nobody calls it vacuum anymore- too many lawyers.
Old 04-01-2012, 03:21 AM   #42

Thumbs down

Well I am going to rant some at you guys.For god's sake,three pages of this stuff??.You guys are kidding aren't you??.Question??.How in blase's to start a debate about the merits of a carb over EFI helping??.I do know it sure looks like it is boosting your self image as a internet hero with a weaken self confidence. What in the world you guys doing??.Reading this stuff out of a HP how to book on carbs.

Now I skimmed only two pages before I decided it was a short novel without a very deep plot.But logic tells me to ask the O/P to post a picture to find if he has either a carb or a TBI so at least someone has a clue about what they're talking about.Come on now.......not all you guys are newbies are ya??.I mean that is the basic's isn't it?.

I do not want to fall into the pit of assuming because that makes of both us,well you know what I mean.If it is a carb,he could do much,much,worst than buying a Edelbrock carb out of the box.Bolt it on,done deal,finished.

So to the O/P.............pictures will help you tons.