Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-09-2007, 06:37 PM   #57

Vintage RV Owners Club
I would try another DMV to get that turned into a title. I don't know the laws in NY or NJ. Or Pa. as well. Seems that if you have a bill of sale,and you have the serial numbers and the length, You should be set.
There is a story about the direct tv that goes "if you don't get the answers you want, Hang up and call again. You may have to do this with the DMV.

Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2007, 05:28 PM   #58

Forget clling the local DMV. Instead, go online and contact the DMV at the state level. You should be able to send them an e-mail. Tell them your problem and ask how you would go about getting a title. Print a hard copy of the "official" reply and take that to the local DMV when you have all the infor that the state requires.

Old 09-10-2007, 05:48 PM   #59

Vintage RV Owners Club
HUMMMMM!!!!
Old 09-11-2007, 05:38 PM   #60

Back when you started this thread I posted about title problems I had buying my vendor trailer from a seller from PA and living in NY.I'll try to go blow by blow how I ended up.

1)Bought on a bill of sale that vendor trailer from ebay.

2)The seller is a cub scout leader and he got the trailer from his company.

3)The company closed down and his boss moved out of town to a location unknown.

4) no title came with the trailer when given to the cub scout group.

5)The seller is more than willing to try anything to help me.

6)The seller goes to PA DMV to find he has to go to court with a lawyer to get a title for it.

7)The seller goes to the lawyer to find the costs of this process is more than the sale of it and goes way beyond the value of the trailer.

8)I go to NY DMV to be told I need a noteized bill of sale.

9)I get the same from the seller and return to NY DMV.Now I'm told that I have to apply for a title and have to pay for a NY DMV inspection which cost $75.00 and may be up to 6 months before I can get a appointment.

10)The above is all coming from the main office for NYS.

11)I am told that I can only get a salvage title and I call the main office again to explain that I am unwilling to apply for a salvage title.I tell them it is a custom manufactured trailer.(not a home built)That I intend to invest heavily into it and don't want to lose my investment.That is a one of a kind and I have only seen one like it before.That it was built for Ameritech a phone company no longer in business by a trailer company that is out of business too.

12)NY DMV tells me I can apply for a custom trailer title,but id any stolen parts are found,they can take the trailer on the spot and arrest me as well.Also they tell me the inspector can take the trailer aprt as far as he wants and it is up to me to put it back together.Also,the trailer must be safe and road worthly.

13)I send in the $75.00 and a trace on a pc of paper of what I think is the vin#'s,(yes now NYS has to create a vin# for it),and all the paperwork I got from the seller.

14)Now this is 4 months after I bought the trailer and now I wait.

15)I take a chance with a bogus PA plate from the seller to take the trailer to a repair shop to be sure it will pass the safety check part of the inspection.

16)I get a letter that I have to take the trailer to a NYS WT station and send the wt back to them.They tell me I can't tow it to a wt station and must flatbed tow it to there.

17)I again take a chance with the bogus PA plate and get the wt.and send it back to the main office.

18)This is now about 5 months after the sale.

19)I get a letter for a appointment for the inspection and a permit to tow it to there.

20)It does pass the inpection(barely-took some wise responces no my part to answer the inspectors questions)

21)I get the plates from NY DMV.

22)a year after the sale I have the plates,but I still don't have the title.

23)I call the main DMV office to be told they can't find my paperwork.Now this is very important!!!!!.I go back to my notes who I talked to each time I contacted them.I ask to speack to the person who mainly dealt with this title and talk to her.She remembers me,finds the paperwork and processes the title to which I findly get two wks later.

24)I get a custom trailer title for now it a 2006 trailer.

25)Alittle over a yr later I now have something I know I can use and can start investing money into without the worry I am going to lose everything.

Along the way I was told titles in Ohio are much easier to get when they are need.The wt limit for needing a title are much greater.I also want to tell you salvage titled anything are always worth a lot less.

Gary
Old 09-11-2007, 06:13 PM   #61

Vintage RV Owners Club
O'boy! This sounds like a can of worms!! I got my truck with the help of a friend at the dmv. We get a one trip ticket and take it to the dmv Ticket is $1.00. After inspection, he checks on the computer and finds the name of last titled person. I get his phone number and he comes to dmv and I pay for a lost title fee,$6.00 and while there we get the title changed to My name $4.00 more. If we hadn't found out about the title still in the system would have had to goa bonded title,$100.00. Cast a few phone calls but saved me big time and the guy was my daughters boss!! He had managed that same store years ago were she worked! Talk about a small world!
I hope you can get the guy with the bill of sale to help you with this trailer!! keep us up on any developments,
Old 09-11-2007, 06:47 PM   #62

I found to say that the standard fee for a title in NYS starts at $50.00.
Old 09-11-2007, 06:56 PM   #63

Vintage RV Owners Club
That figures!! they rob ya and then feed ya to the sharks!!
Old 09-11-2007, 07:07 PM   #64

Make sure you read page 6 so you know what getting titles are like in NYS.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:13 PM   #65

I am trying to get it titled in NJ.
I am looking into getting a title search for it. I am not sure if it was ever titled in NY as it was sold in NJ. So who knows. I contacted the trailer dealer and am waiting to hear from them but I think appearing in person would be much better.It sounds like doing it in Jersey is easier than NY!!

I forgot to say that I did not get anything at the second DMV! I may try a third. I am awaiting a packet from DMV on how to go about getting it titled. I will let you know all it says but I understand I have to file papers at police stations, put an ad in the paper, and get the pencil trace of the serial #. Gee whiz they should just check to see if it is titled !
Old 09-12-2007, 12:02 AM   #66

I'm not sure if Carfax does trailers,but you can check on line.If they do,it is small amount of money,like $7.50.
Old 10-06-2007, 07:28 AM   #67

Wellll.... I can not tell you DMV is taken care of but something big and white rolled onto my property last night!!! Whooo Hooooooo!!! At least I do not have to worry about it being taken to the dump. I am sure in the next few days I will post more photos as I start pulling things apart!! I already know where it was dented the wood needs to be replaced and the tub is just missing. I thought maybe another part was missing also but now I am not sure. The adventure begins!!
As for DMV I think my first step is to try one more time at a DMV and request title info to see if I can see who owns the title. Do youknow this thing weighs 8,000 POUNDS!!! Ok thanks so much, now the real work begins!!
Old 10-06-2007, 01:31 PM   #68

Vintage RV Owners Club
I would wait till you get a title first!! You start tearing it apart without a title and it turns up stolen, They can also get you for destruction of Private property. I am glad things seem to be going your way at last. Just be careful with it till you have the title! Good luck and Congrats!!!
Old 10-06-2007, 07:39 PM   #69

I agree with Dan.I won't put any money into anything I don't have a title for.
Old 10-08-2007, 03:38 PM   #70

I know, I said I wouldn't, but now at least I do not have to worry about it getting put in the dump. It seems they may have removed some parts so I wonder if they did not part some of it out. I thought there was a big tank looking thing in the bathroom closet and now it isnt there. If I remember correctly anyway. I am going to try and give it one more shot at the original dealer and then a different DMV while starting the process of submitting papers to the DMV special title whatever and start that hoop jumping moving.