Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2007, 08:56 AM   #1

I am considering buying a Rolls International 27? foot trailer in need of a lot of repair. It has no title and I have no idea where to start to get one. It is going to need a LOT of work but I do that kind of thing, but in house SO I am not familiar with how the systems in a trailer work. ANY help would be greatly appreciated. Links, suggestions whateverI would like to get it to my home soon. I also do not want to fix it up and have someone try and claim it. I could not afford to go buy one so I am thinking with the time to work on it and that being something I enjoy this would be the way to go. So please HELP!!!
thewarriorchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2007, 08:56 AM   #2

I am considering buying a Rolls International 27? foot trailer in need of a lot of repair. It has no title and I have no idea where to start to get one. It is going to need a LOT of work but I do that kind of thing, but in house SO I am not familiar with how the systems in a trailer work. ANY help would be greatly appreciated. Links, suggestions whateverI would like to get it to my home soon. I also do not want to fix it up and have someone try and claim it. I could not afford to go buy one so I am thinking with the time to work on it and that being something I enjoy this would be the way to go. So please HELP!!!
Old 08-02-2007, 09:32 AM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you can get the current owner to give you a notarized "bill of sale" and "lost title affidavit", you can go to a state DOT office and get a new title and license plates issued in your name. I suggest you do not do any work or spend any money or time on the unit without first getting a legal title.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out for you - Glenn.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:49 AM   #4

Second that in not doing any work until you get a legal title.

The trailer could have been stolen sometime during its life. If that was the case, the trailer would be confiscated from you and returned to the legal owner.

In California, our DMV has our highway patrol do a VIN check on all vehicles before they can be "retitled". A guy near me lost a new-to-him cherry 55 T-Bird that he had bought off of Ebay, because it had been stolen sometime in the late 60s (the owner it was stolen from sure was happy though, after 40 years!).
aa6vh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 07:22 PM   #5

What info do I need off the trailer the only thing I could find was a ID # 2520 is there like a carfax for trailers?

I hope he got his $ back!! Ugh that must have been heartbreaking for him!
Old 08-03-2007, 12:51 PM   #6

If it is older than about a 1974 it may never have had a legal title.

Tom

2015 Chevy 2500 6.0L 4.10
Sunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 04:35 PM   #7

It is a Feb of 76, Do you know what numbers I need to take off the trailer. I did not see anything other than the ID # Why werent they titled then?
Old 08-03-2007, 04:44 PM   #8

Where was your trailer manufactured? Our Eagle bus was manufactured in Belgium, then shipped to TX. It has a 4 digit VIN number. It has been tagged in TX, SC and TN. Each time with a 4 digit VIN number. We just told TN that it was from Belgium and they accepted it. Other countries use different numbering systems. Your 4 digit number is probably the VIN number. Try to searh in the internet to learn more about your trailer's history.
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 07:42 PM   #9

It was manufactured in the US and sold from a local dealer. I have googled, yahooed, asked, and probably something else also. The only thing I have found was a few different models and years for sale and one in perect condition different year and model. THe company now makes $200,000 5th wheels and was purchased several years ago by someone else from the original owner. You guys are my last hope for info. DMV doesnt even have online info, no surprise for NJ.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:26 PM   #10

trailer pictures

Here are photos of it, what would you pay for it? Nothing is tried, the back was smacked by a tree getting into the spot. No title, multiple owners.
Old 08-04-2007, 12:05 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
I know of several people that would give $100 to $500 for it and use it as a hunting cabin as it is. It is in real bad shape and will cost more than it's value to repair.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 12:36 AM   #12

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by thewarriorchild:
trailer pictures

Here are photos of it, what would you pay for it? Nothing is tried, the back was smacked by a tree getting into the spot. No title, multiple owners. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have been offered better for free. It looks like it was used as a job trailer on a construction site and seems pretty hacked up. I would walk away unless I was absolutely certain about the validity of the seller.
Old 08-04-2007, 06:23 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
After looking at some of the work others have done with their TT's and Slide-in's I can say never say never to the rebuild of this one.
Deb if you can find any tag on frame of MFG with numbers and take the pics to registry a new title can be written for the TT.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 06:37 AM   #14

Check with your states'
DMV. They should be able to help you. Try both local AND online versions. The online will have the most correct info. Local may (possibly, hopefully) work with you to get it tagged. They should be able to do a search based on either an old tag number or previous owners name to get the title info. We had to do that for our Apache... owner lost the title. Possible locations for VIN numbers : on the trailer frame usually around the tongue and LP tanks setup, on a metal tag attached to the brake wiring (inside the trailer near the wheel wheels).
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote