Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-13-2017, 10:38 PM   #1

So there I wuz

Okay so Monday past I was driving my 1997 F53 chassis with the Ford 460 Cu In engine in it for an appointment with an RV Mechanic when I saw a fire truck coming all lit up, so I slowed down and pulled off the right side and waited. When the fire truck cleared I began to pull back out on to the road but the engine just sat there idling?? So I ran the gears on the steering post and all seemed okay at idle, I knew that I had reverse and forward at idle. So I lifted the motor cover and there lying loose was my Throttle cable. So I put it back on and drove the next 8 miles without using cruise control. After sorting out some electrical problems the Automotive RV electric shop did not have any throttle cables so I put a small zip tie on the throttle cable and it got me home. So I am looking for throttle cables for a 1997 Ford F53 chassis and I am not finding any out there. Still lots of parts available for my application but I can not find these cables. Anyone know of a source???

Thanks much,

Magnafique is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2017, 10:51 PM   #2

Foretravel Owners Club
Take the cable with you to NAPA,Fleet Pride or a "full on" agriculture/farm equipment store, also FOMOCO should be able to come up with the cable if you have the old one in hand.... so they can get the length correct.
Same is true if you get in contact with Summit Racing....

saddlesore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 10:56 PM   #3

Thanks, I am going to pull it in the morning and take it down to NAPA and see what they can find. The throttle cable is good and still in its sheath, but the end is rusted and won't hang on to the throttle ball on the fuel injection thingy. Thanks
Old 12-15-2017, 12:53 PM   #4

I could be wrong but I thought my 1993 F53 had a clip on the cable that held it to the throttle body. The clip slid over the cable, then you put the cable on the "ball" and then slid the clip over the end of the cable and the ball. So you might just need a new clip.

I am basing this off of memory when I replaced the heads 7 years ago. I no longer have that RV so I can not look at it. Even though it was 1993 it was the fuel injected 460 so that should be the same.

Mike
Old 12-15-2017, 06:44 PM   #5

You remember well!!! Yes that is what I found, just a metal clip about 1 in long overall. Rest of the cable assy is GREAT. So off to Napa in the morning to get a clip and I am fixed. I also found that one of my solenoids 12 V had an open coil. Changed and WALA, I have 13.2, 13.8 and 14.2 to my chassis battery and 6.4 volts to my house batteries from my new Converter and Charge Wizard. Oh Happy Day!!

Thanks All,