Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-28-2013, 11:54 AM   #1

So what do you do for ins on a 25 year old rig

Who do you get to insure a 25 year old winnebago? Do you get a appraisal and go stated value? What is anyone else doing. Thanks...

Dupdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2013, 12:58 PM   #2

1988 Winnebago I owned a couple of years ago was valued at what I paid for it. Not sure I needed the insurance could have just done Liability.

2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 02:17 PM   #3

Just go to your regular insurance company. We had an 87 Allegro and just insured it at NADA value and had our agent put all the normal things on the policy, including roadside assistance. The premium was under $350 per year. It's really no difference then a car. You may not want to insure for replacement value if you can afford to take the loss. Premium vs. replacement.
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 09:26 PM   #4

My '72 Indian is insured thru Geico, with state-required liability and uninsured motorist only. Geico won't do roadside assistance for a rig this old, and adding collision and comprehensive would come to about $155/mo. for a vehicle I would only use 5 months of the year. Not worth it right now, and its paid for.

We currently pay $30 more a month on our regular auto policy for the RV.

State Farm will also write an RV policy here. I'm not sure about Allstate.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:08 AM   #5

I think the question you need to ask is about what you want to pay to insure it? Generally a coach that age can be replaced pretty reasonably (even if it would be quite the hassle). I would ask myself if the extra premiums involved to go with a "stated value" policy would be worth it?

Ours is a little newer, and that is the way we went (stated value), but I'm not so sure I would have done that with a less expensive coach.

IMHO, the only way to make the call is to know both prices (liability only/minimum coverage vs. a stated value policy) so you can compare them. From there it's a personal decision. -Al

BTW, a stated value policy uses a number you give them. Don't think it makes a lot of difference where or how you get it, as long as it's not born in fantasy land.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:30 AM   #6

Sheri,

You need to learn some new terms.....
Book Value - What is says in the NADA blue book
- in this case, probably not much.
Stated Value - The value that the policy holder assigns
- in this case also not very much
Agreed Value - A value as determined by an appraiser
- it may be more, but no guess with out looking
** This will cost you more, but if the coach gets damaged, it get repaired - and not just scrapped.

There are only a few companies that will right an agreed value policy. But, with an old either restored or well maintained coach, it is you only protection.

Matt
Old 11-27-2013, 05:59 PM   #7

I have a '88 HR 35' and got just liability from State Farm for $135.00. Six months I think. Have house and several other vehicles including a M/C insured with them as well.
Old 11-27-2013, 07:07 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
In coaches that age it comes down to condition. You can look at the NADA Guides as a starting point.

Ken
Old 11-28-2013, 07:00 AM   #9

"Agreed on value" is not always determined by an appraiser. It's a number YOU agree to as a value in the case where your coach is destroyed/totaled. This value is then used to determine the price of the policy. Works out great many times , as in the case of a total loss, there is no argument or bad feelings on either side regarding the amount of the settlement? It will be the amount previously agreed upon. Works out great on those 20 year old coaches that have been well maintained, are worth MUCH more than what a book might indicate?
Old 11-28-2013, 08:21 AM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
We have a 82 PA near perfect condition inside and out now has 49,000 miles and 260 hrs on the gennie. I went with Farmers (Have S&B another car) with them and they put it under Foremost. I wanted full coverage and they requested pictures before they would issue full coverage. I took the pictures and sent them to them and I was given full coverage with replacement coverage, glass and road side assistance. I also have full coverage on my 99 deville with 186,000 miles on it and near perfect.
Personally I want to be over insured than under insured. JMO
Happy Thanksgiving, 7 hrs till turkey time YUMM
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 03:35 PM   #11

I have Allstate RV insurance, full coverage. But I full time in it, so I feel it's important to have in my case. I wouldn't get the money I have in it if it were to get stolen and not recovered. If it gets wrecked and cannot be driven, I could strip off a lot of the good stuff like the solar panels, fridge, batteries, tires.. and move them to a replacement used RV I'd buy.
Old 12-02-2013, 05:53 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I have a 1992 American Eagle full coverage, not sure I'm going to continue with that. It's not cheap also through Foremost. I had to take pictures inside, outside, every angle to show its condition.

I was thinking if it got totaled would like to put some bucks toward another motorhome, but now am rethinking that. I'm not sure what they would even allow for it.

I guess its what you can afford to bear.
Old 12-03-2013, 09:10 AM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by spritz View Post
We have a 82 PA near perfect condition inside and out now has 49,000 miles and 260 hrs on the gennie. I went with Farmers (Have S&B another car) with them and they put it under Foremost. I wanted full coverage and they requested pictures before they would issue full coverage. I took the pictures and sent them to them and I was given full coverage with replacement coverage, glass and road side assistance. I also have full coverage on my 99 deville with 186,000 miles on it and near perfect.
Personally I want to be over insured than under insured. JMO
Happy Thanksgiving, 7 hrs till turkey time YUMM
They asked what I wanted to insure it at and I told them and they agreed. Same thing on my 64 caddie convert They are both at what I wanted them insured for. Now that I found out the MH is vintage I wish I would have gone higher on the MH as I will not be able to replace it @ what the ins will give me.
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 10:15 PM   #14

Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Here are 2 good articles

Agreed Value vs. Stated Value Insurance - Wanderlodge Owners Group

Agreed Value Insurance Coverage Info - Wanderlodge Owners Group

dmurdock is offline   Reply With Quote