Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-05-2007, 06:10 PM   #15

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Joseph C. McKenzie:
...we also watch it in the original Japanese version, not the waterdown "For Kidz" editions that make American TV and shelves .. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My "kids" will be 21 yo in Oct and get the Japanese original movies and books. Stacey (the one who draws) is REALLY into anime. As for what they watch... I no longer have to keep up with it.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2007, 04:59 PM   #16

Vintage RV Owners Club
SanjayR, I would be in Engineering, Like Scotty or Gordy. I have always liked to fix things with my hands.

Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 11:39 AM   #17

Scotty I can deal with, or Be'lanna Torres, or Miles O'Brian, or Trip Tucker. Geordy Laforge was always to straight laced and reliant on new parts for me. Too "spit and polish". Yes, I am a StarFleet engineer, in the mold of those in the first line. I make the ship run until I can get the right parts later. I will do the job twice, if that means I can get things working right now. I can make it whole and solid later.

Dodge 440 in an M500 chassis
Sanjay R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 12:19 PM   #18

I guess we are they type of people that have been though it all in our lives.
Buying and old Rv for us was really the only way to go.We had both been throught the ringer with divorces, A son with a brain injury(run over at the age of 10), Our eldest son is awaiting heart surgery.I had a break down in 2000. So here we are. We are basically starting over again because life has not been easy...these are Just the top three of our life events.
We moved to a village in Saskatchewan. Bought and old (40's) home(an origional beaver home). Try and get a three bedroom, triple lot with a garage for $8000.00. So we are renovating it at the same time LOL. We are also in the process of enlargeing the yard.(moving the fence.)
So thats us in a nutshell. Trying to be the jone's on a budget LoL!
So we moved up into a 79 empress 22ft in aug. Then sold that to our youngest...now we have a 75 27ft winnabego.So we are repairing the ceiling on the 79, and we have engine work and tranny work on the winnabego.No rest for the wicked.
Ps: we have 6 kids, 2 grandchildren, and a grandchild on the way.Monkey(4) the mental cat and Prince the shih tzu(3)
So that is our story.
We live in the olipatch here and dh drives truck. Most of the kids work in the oilfield..except our only(eldest Daughter) and eldest son awaiting heart surgery.
Welcome to our world!!

Owners of a 27 ft 1975
veercan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 12:38 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I guess I may be a borderline geek. I am a registered mechanical engineer and a amateur radio operator. I like to keep up with some computer technology and used to run the small LAN system where I worked.

I like the home life, working on projects around the house and trailer. Love my animals and treat them like kids now. One 35 year old daughter and two grandsons. The 6 year old is severely handicapped...wheelchair bound and does not talk or react to most things. The 2.5 year old is 100% boy and goes like a whirling dervish all of the time.

We picked up this 79 Silver Streak from my Father in law this year. We had always like the size and style of the trailer and looked at newer Air Streams....to much $$$$ for them though. We still have out 95 Avion 5er and have it up for sale. It was fine to live in, but not a lot of fun to travel with.

I have spent my working life in industrial refrigeration...big cold storage places, chemical cooling and so on. A small compressor is 150HP.

The wife was a Spanish teacher and gave up on this when she no longer had control of the class room. Now she is a landscape designer and certified nursery professional...hot and dirty work, but she loves it.

Built a new place next door to the in laws so that we can help take care of them and keep them at home as long as possible.

The best times are spent with each other doing things with the trailer.

Ken
Old 09-12-2007, 06:06 PM   #20

Vintage RV Owners Club
Lets see... That makes us Geeks Who love Travel and for excitement we rebuild trailers,and Motorhomes for kicks and giggles.
Did I miss something??? Oh!! I forgot..We help with the national debt...By charging our ssi checks to that rebuild! Thats another way of saying, We just spent our grandkids inheritance!! OK, Fine!!
Old 09-12-2007, 07:16 PM   #21

well, my SSDI check goes about half for rent and utilities, and the rest for food, fuel, upgrades, and repairs. . .

Given that the total ammount is less than a grand a month, the latter part does not go very far. I just hope I can keep ahead on the repairs, so I can do a few upgrades as well. My computer station is an example of an upgrade that I will enjoy greatly.

Old 09-12-2007, 07:20 PM   #22

Vintage RV Owners Club
Yep, I know what you mean.
Old 09-14-2007, 03:20 PM   #23

Well I am kind of a geek. I work in the computer/IT world. I am a Data center Tech. I install / deinstall and repair servers and ness. cabling.(mostly the cabling). I have been a blue collar boy from the get go. born to a family of drivers. My grand father drove a straight truck until he had to retire due to disability. My uncle drove a truck both long haul and local. I had the option but went to college in stead got a degree in broad casting and became a jock and engineer. when I got tired of being broke in radio I went to computers in the middle of the net boom. been in it ever since.

I have always worked with my hands and love to build. I can't see how people can afford some of the stuff out there.50k for a new truck 100k for a new class A. its nuts. I get what I can and build it to what I want.

I am a gear head thru and thru. I have a 93 F150 with 230k and my wife has a 97 with 150k and I am in the middle of a build on a 1979 F100 pick up that I plan to show.(it will be finished once Freebie is done) I try to make every thing I have my own, unique to me. most like it some say I am stupid but to each their own. I do what I do cause I am good at it and probably couldn't afford it any other way.

This build on the RV is one of those chance encounters. The RV and my screen name is freebie for a reason. we got it for free. I know it will never be new but it is new to me and will be cool no matter what. it's going to be part RV Part Hot rod. It will be nice and homey on the inside but it's gonna look cool on the out side and will run. Now many other rv's have dual exhaust mild cam and headers? Not many I would say.

Anymore any one that builds anything on their own is part of a rare breed. Most pay to have it done cause it's easy, but it doesn't mean as much to me. Personally, it sounds better to say "I made that."n Than it does to say "look what I bought."

Call me Crazy..........

Freebie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 06:44 PM   #24

Vintage RV Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Capt. Dan:
Yep, I know what you mean. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
You should look back in the posts to the goodies in my 454-V8 Rebuild! Don't get in front unless you want to be pushed!!
Old 09-15-2007, 12:49 AM   #25

OK, Arin: Y're crazy. . . Just like the rest of us! Felicity came to me free as well, and now I'm putting in the one item that makes this my home more than anything else. . . A Computer Station. Yeah, I'm the same kind of geek you are. Both ways: Computer Tech, and I have to build it to suit me, and who cares if anyone else likes it!

Old 09-15-2007, 07:59 AM   #26

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sanjay R:
...Y're crazy. . . Just like the rest of us! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Speak for yourself!

I'm not crazy... I just have a slightly different point of view.
Old 09-15-2007, 08:14 AM   #27

Freebie
No matter what others say...doing it all on your own will make you appreciate it more!!
We are a lot like you. We get what we can afford and thats what we have. My boys bopught their own wheels and fix them too.
Our new stress factor is the 75 27 ft winnebago brave, this fall we will be pulling the engine and tranny. Lots ofwork...but it will be ours and we know what we want.

Owners of a 27 ft 1975
veercan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 03:25 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote by Sanjay R; "Life is good when you don't have payments to deal with." You bet!

We love to look at vintage RV's. We enjoyed visiting the rv hall of fame last month in Indiana.

Pat's brother and sister-in-law bought their first vintage 1948 Spartanette trailer in 2004.
It is the one in the Featured Topics of this forum. So I follow this Vintage RV's forum.

We bought our first motorhome, used of course, it is a 2003 and we bought it in October 2003 the original owners only had it ten months.
I had to take care of all the problems myself since we did not have a warranty. They lost a lot of money and we got a pretty good deal.

I do understand the satisfaction of do-it-yourself.

My do-it-yourself projects were building projects on my homes that I owned and they included the following:
1966 built a Shed at my first new house.

1969 built a family room addition and bricked my first fireplace along with doing the construction for the addition myself at our second new house.

1972 built a family room, a 2nd brick fireplace and 1st floor laundry room addition, this project added 450 sq.ft. to our third new house.

1985 designed and built our fourth new house myself, doing the rough carpentry myself and acting as my own contractor for the other trades.
This is the house we live in today, it is 3,000 sq. ft. and we are on a 120' wide canal off of the Saint Clair River. Great place for boating, our other RV.

1989 designed and built a two unit duplex home for our son, he and his wife had our first grandchild, she will be 20 years old this year, boy time flies.

2006 remodeled the master bath adding a second sink and vanity that Pat wanted.

Learned how to do most of the building trades, bricklaying, carpentry, electrical, plumbing etc.

Wanted to be an architect however I ended up as a "salesman" and managed a small company for 42 years until my retirement in 2005.