Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-23-2013, 05:00 PM   #1

Spend 4k on a 11-12k motorhome

Hitting a roadblock cause I'm not sure if its worth it but a full reman engine is 4k installed other similar units are going for 11-12 k would you do it? Bearing in mind I'm going to have use my line of credit to do it?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2013, 06:22 PM   #2

If you plan to keep , and use the motor home, and of course , assuming the engine is the only problem. It should be worth it.
The other side of the coin is. If you try to sell the RV with motor problems ; how much is it worth.
Trying to sell with motor problems you might get only 6>7k , and with a re-man engine it could bring top dollar.
Not an easy choice, and you're the one who has to pay the bill.

Old 07-23-2013, 09:50 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
If you plan to keep , and use the motor home, and of course , assuming the engine is the only problem. It should be worth it.
I agree with this. Unless you're considering getting out of RVing altogether and just want to sell the thing as-is with motor trouble for a few bucks, then repair is probably the way to go. At least at that point, you'll have a relatively reliable power plant that you won't have to worry about for a while. I also think, as skip eluded, that you may be further in the hole selling the unit as-is as opposed to investing $4k and then selling... just a guess though.

Also, if you've done other work to the RV and kept everything maintained... that maintenance is worth a lot since buying something else used is a crapshoot sometimes. $4k is not a lot of money when you consider how much it might cost to repair or update another used RV... and trust me, I speak from experience. For us, Rving, even with a 20 year old motorhome that we paid pennies on the dollar for compared to a new one, is still borderline as far as what we can and can't afford. As much as I love the pastime of RVing, not a day seems to go by that I don't question whether or not it's practical for us... that said, the dang thing is still out in the garage, and I still have plenty of dreams about where we'll go next.

best of luck.

cheers
Old 07-25-2013, 04:56 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchyb View Post
Hitting a roadblock cause I'm not sure if its worth it but a full reman engine is 4k installed other similar units are going for 11-12 k would you do it? Bearing in mind I'm going to have use my line of credit to do it?
If it were me, I'd look at it from the "paid for vs. paying on" argument. Mine is paid for, therefore paying $4k for a reman engine with installation is justifiable considering I plan to keep my old Winnebago until the parts are no longer available.

If I were planning to sell it anyway, I'd let the new owner pay the money for the engine. Just be honest with prospective buyers about the motor, and talk up the maintenance. There are many buyers up here who actually look for RVs that need new engines, and usually do the work themselves.

Just my two pennies . . .