RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-05-2018, 10:03 AM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Stabilizer Jacks?

I am looking for stabilizer jacks that fit into a receiver. I have searched but maybe I am not using the correct terms.Anybody have suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PassFrontLeveler.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	187831  

renhaus2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2018, 01:49 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
I'd think any jack could be used under the receiver, but not sure how much it would stabilize the RV. Also, the receiver isn't designed to be a major jacking point for the weight of an RV, I'd be careful of lifting too much, it might cause other issues.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 08:48 AM   #3

Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
I'd think any jack could be used under the receiver, but not sure how much it would stabilize the RV. Also, the receiver isn't designed to be a major jacking point for the weight of an RV, I'd be careful of lifting too much, it might cause other issues.
They at are all 4 corners of the RV. I asked the guy selling it and he told me it was for the jacks. Not sure what else they would be used for.
jwrennoldson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 09:18 AM   #4

Looking at the picture I see what you mean. What's brand and model of coach I'd search by that. Depending on year they may not be avail and have to make a set, if you can weld should be pretty easy. 4 trailer jacks welded to piece that will fit in the receivers
JLWoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 09:28 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLWoodward View Post
Looking at the picture I see what you mean. What's brand and model of coach I'd search by that. Depending on year they may not be avail and have to make a set, if you can weld should be pretty easy. 4 trailer jacks welded to piece that will fit in the receivers
My thoughts also. Use trailer jacks and weld or clamp bar stock to the tops. You could just get four low cost hydraulic or scissor jacks and place them under the receivers to stop the coach from bouncing on the suspension.

Never seen a Tiffin Allegro with the set up or for that matter any coach or towable so I suspect you have a prior owner alteration and very unlikely something off the shelf with no mods required is available. At least not at a reasonable price.

Nice looking coach.
Old 01-06-2018, 11:37 AM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
Very likely custom built and installed jacking system. I'd only use them for stabilizing, not leveling, or you could crack a windshield or pop it out of place.

Bob & Donna
Old 01-06-2018, 05:18 PM   #7

You might be able to use a drop down receiver ball mount and bolt or weld scissor jacks to the hitch mount. I've never seen a set up like that before.

Mike H
Bubba1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 07:44 PM   #8

Jacks? :blink:

I have been watching this thread and have this to add.

I have never seen a receiver that would tolerate the obvious weight.

I would give this all due consideration.
Apostman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 08:58 PM   #9

Nor'easters Club
Thank you all for your input. I have searched everywhere and have found nothing. I knew this group would point me in the right direction.
jwrennoldson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 07:06 AM   #10

I bought these swing down jacks, https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-pack-Swin...5R-8pd&vxp=mtr, and used 1/4" SST screws (https://www.lowes.com/pd/Hillman-5-C...Screws/3012379) to attach them to my reciever. I like these because they fold out of the way when not in use. Since they are only being used for stabilization, not weight bearing, they work excellent for that. The force needed to provide stabilization is less than 750 lbs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160314_104141-900x550.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	237.7 KB
ID:	188003   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160316_180641-900x550.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	188004  

Old 01-07-2018, 09:32 AM   #11

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSTraveler View Post
I bought these swing down jacks, https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-pack-Swin...5R-8pd&vxp=mtr, and used 1/4" SST screws (https://www.lowes.com/pd/Hillman-5-C...Screws/3012379) to attach them to my reciever. I like these because they fold out of the way when not in use. Since they are only being used for stabilization, not weight bearing, they work excellent for that. The force needed to provide stabilization is less than 750 lbs.
A Class III hitch, if not a weight distributing hitch, is only rated for up to 600 lbs. tongue weight. I'd be very careful about using welded on receivers as jack points at the corners of an RV frame. The potential for damage would be very high if too much force was put on the receiver, or if you suffered a flat tire while the RV was 'stabilized' by the jack.

Bob & Donna
Old 01-08-2018, 06:36 AM   #12

Haven't had an issue in 4 years of camping. I have TPMS as well to monitor my tires, but as long as you maintain your tires should not be an issue. I wouldn't use these if I was going to park my rig for months, years, or permanent. But for typical camping configuration works great.

Tags
jacks