Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-19-2015, 09:22 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJerryP View Post
Up until the last couple of days, I did not think much about the electric steps.
My opinion has changed drastically, now they are a must have. As I am running errands, and jumping in ands out a lot, those electric steps, well, they awesome, and a must have
They're also your first indication the the chassis battery is dead.

jplante4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2015, 07:56 PM   #16

Todays project was the Generator.
It would only sputter a few seconds then stop.
I partially disassembled the carb, cleaned it up. Ran rough for a minute, but kept running, for the most part, then cleared itself out, smoothed out and purred!!!
Next problem was making it actually power the RV, But while looking around for a switch, I found all the manuals and the Winnebago binder..

It took a few minutes, but figured out there was no transfer switch, instead you plug in the house power cord to a receptacle that comes from the Generator.
Still no power, and I noticed the Gen was not loading up, so I looked around, and found a switch on the Onan that turns on the Generator part of the generator, and everything came on, and ran off the generator.

It is all good!!!!
Little vid of how it was running, and how it ended up running.
I have found over the years that when gas powered stuff that is stored a while runs rough, or not at all, you need to take a thin wire, and clear the lacquer out of the Jets.

IamJerryP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 08:07 PM   #17

I other good news, I found all the Manuals, and Winnebago binder, along with a pile of receipts documenting the maintenance.
The Tires are 2 years old, the batteries are less than 3 years old.
I knew this unit had been maintained, and taken care of, and was probably just left outside so the weathered exterior made it look worse than it is.
Old 01-19-2015, 08:35 PM   #18
bap

GREAT,,,also on ours you needed at least a 1/4 tank of gas in it or it wouldnt run..
saftey thing so your coach wouldnt run out of gas...

but you have probably read that now...lol....alway great to have the paperwork for your mh,..
you may just have to giver her a good bath good,,,i actually used a bottle of headlight cleaner,,,the kind that takes the yellow hazing off,,and squirted it on that little ball and took off all the oxidation and gave her a good wax job she shined like new except for the cracking in the decals,,,but before i could strip them off and but our own paint scheme on it we sold her..lol
i knew i should have gone and checked her out.....lol...the DW and i thought about it but we love our little TT,s...lol
Old 01-19-2015, 09:06 PM   #19

Not to rub it in, but the more I investigate, and work with this RV, the more I think I got a very good deal.
I was underneath it today tracing wires, looking for the converter, (which is behind the passenger seat,) and it is dry, and dusty under there, as it should be, with no leaks, or globs of oil, and dirt.
I get a little happier every time I mess with it.
Beginning to look like Paint, and stripping is going to be the hardest part of the redo.
Changing to LED lighting will be the most expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bap View Post
GREAT,,,also on ours you needed at least a 1/4 tank of gas in it or it wouldnt run..
saftey thing so your coach wouldnt run out of gas...

but you have probably read that now...lol....alway great to have the paperwork for your mh,..
you may just have to giver her a good bath good,,,i actually used a bottle of headlight cleaner,,,the kind that takes the yellow hazing off,,and squirted it on that little ball and took off all the oxidation and gave her a good wax job she shined like new except for the cracking in the decals,,,but before i could strip them off and but our own paint scheme on it we sold her..lol
i knew i should have gone and checked her out.....lol...the DW and i thought about it but we love our little TT,s...lol
Old 01-19-2015, 10:08 PM   #20
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thank you for the great updates, I hope it all keeps going that way for you.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 10:17 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
After getting the link to the Winnebago manual download I read about a battery combination I shouldn't use but may have and the previous owner may have also. My aux rocker doesn't have a working light. And some combination does not let the generator start up (it worked at seller and as soon as I got home I could not get it to turn over - the seller did not answer the phone lol). Somehow I figured it out. BUT I read I should never run the generator with the battery set to Dual as it could damage the vehicle alternator. i think I may have done it but am not sure. However my alternator seems to work so no foul. I slept in it last night and wanted to use the fridge so I plugged in to the residence service. All was good but now the house system which started working doesn't again. Will work with generator but I'd like to be able to run silent so I can when required. Fridge needs LP capability checked out. Patience!
webbix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 03:30 AM   #22

Interior LED's won't be too bad. Shop carefully on ebay(look at seller feedback) and you can find plenty of 10 bulb deals for under $20 shipped. I went with the 48 led panel lights that are flat and stick on the inside of the reflector w/3M tape. They did send me the wrong bayonet bases, so I ended up har wiring them all in:

Most likely yours takes the 1141/1156 bayonet base like this:
10x RV Trailer 48 SMD Warm White High Power LED Light Panel 1156 BA15S Adapter | eBay

Reading lights will require a push in style bulb:
10 x White 1156 BA15S LED 27 SMD Light Bulbs Tail Backup RV camper 1141 1003 | eBay

There are many choices, from light color to number of led's so it will take soem time to find what works for you.
Old 01-20-2015, 10:43 AM   #23

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Sorry Jerry, but I would like to ask bap A ?
Bap, you mention using a headlight cleaner for removal of oxidation did you use it on your siding? and is it fiberglass siding? I have a few areas that I need to redo the removal of the oxidation.
Jerry, I think you got a good deal on the MH looks nice. Got any interior pics? or did I miss them somewhere
Keep up the Great work your doing.
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 03:40 PM   #24

First issue that might be beyond my scope.
Chassis AC does not seem to be cooling, hopefully it just needs Freon,
Of course if it needs freon, where did the freon go??? plus 89 was the old stuff.
perhaps the previous owner did not update theAC, and convert it to the new stuff.
Interestingly, the Dash/Chassis fan/heat/AC runs with the key off, or out, and when it is on, the radio also works, with the key off, or removed.
hmmmmm, vealy in-ta-lesting

Been driving it, running errands, and today was the first warm day where I could truly test the AC. The house AC works great off the generator. Of course that unit looks reasonably new, it is a Carrier V, with no yellowing of the plastic.
Some of the dash vents are not pushing air, so perhaps the problem is a vent door. Not hearing, or feeling the AC compressor come on , or the engine load either/

Worst case put in a new Dash AC.
I will classify that as a minor issue.
I will get the engine cover off, and investigate further.
Old 01-20-2015, 03:45 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Yeah, ditto on the dash AC on the gasser (P30 Chevy 454). Had the mech guys look at it last year after a sweltering trip to Hatteras. They charged it, the compressor started and ran for a while then seized up. Diagnosis; needs a compressor and a dryer. New $1000 installed. Junk yard rug -if it worked when it hit the yard $350 + install. I decided to run the house air if we need cooling.
jplante4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 07:31 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by spritz View Post
Jerry, I think you got a good deal on the MH looks nice. Got any interior pics? or did I miss them somewhere
Tim

Here it is, pretty good shape, no rips, bad wear, or tears in the fabric.
Hideous wallpaper is in good shape, floor is decent.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0628.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	234.2 KB
ID:	83788

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0629.jpg
Size:	306.4 KB
ID:	83789

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0643.jpg
Size:	274.4 KB
ID:	83790
Old 01-20-2015, 07:41 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jplante4 View Post
Yeah, ditto on the dash AC on the gasser (P30 Chevy 454). Had the mech guys look at it last year after a sweltering trip to Hatteras. They charged it, the compressor started and ran for a while then seized up. Diagnosis; needs a compressor and a dryer. New $1000 installed. Junk yard rug -if it worked when it hit the yard $350 + install. I decided to run the house air if we need cooling.
That is why I love Rock Auto, and a couple of other places i use, compressor is under 250.00.

I will have to study up on AC, as I have not messed with it for a while
Old 01-21-2015, 07:40 AM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Nice, did you buy it cause it matched the dog? , I almost didn't see him there.

93 Monaco Dynasty 300HP (for now)
Harley1994 is offline   Reply With Quote