Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-17-2015, 09:39 PM   #1

Starting to work on the 89 Chieftain

This deal just seems better all the time. Spent a lot of time poking around, learning what does what, and making a list of thinks to do and planning out big repairs.
First of all there are plenty of things in good working order, and many wear & tear parts are new-ish, but not new in a way that everything is falling apart, but just stuff that got replace, and repaired as needed.
Tires are a couple of years old
The spot of water damage in the left rear, I was worried about is just the bathroom shower panel which is plywood, that needs replacing, I am going to redo that anyway with a fiberglass walled shower. Many of the light fixtures are newer, but I still want to do LEDs.
Flooring is good enough to not worry about for now.
Ceiling has one spot that needs reattachment, otherwise in good shape
I think I will tear down the old wallpaper, and replace it with something less 1989, which would be 1969 in stick and brick style
Also need to replace some shades, and the front window curtains.

I got on the roof and did some roof maintenance,
I just sort of scraped, and chunked out the cracks, where the "glob, and smooth method" was used, and the caulk had cracked, and redid that with some Silicon sealer for now. When I paint, I am going to dig it all out, and redo it all.
I will need to do some repair to a couple of delam spots, before painting.
Roof is solid

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0468.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	375.4 KB
ID:	83521

Name:	IMG_0473.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	377.1 KB
ID:	83522

Name:	IMG_0475.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	341.1 KB
ID:	83523

Made a trip to the paint store, and the guy knew exactly what I needed, I have done business with them for years, before my retirement, and often bought more paint in a single order than most people use in a lifetime, so i know he knows what he is talking about.
He said I needed to use Stix Urethane primer, and go over that with RustScat high gloss which I have use a lot, and found to be pretty awesome, tough paint, With my discount.
Looks like about 200 bucks for paint, plus the fiberglass supplies for the delay repair. no idea what that will cost, but i will budget 100 for that.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0477.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	351.6 KB
ID:	83520  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2015, 09:56 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Good luck JerryP, you have a project on your hands but it will be pretty amazing when you are done with it.

Lynne

beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 10:00 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
More pictures please.

There will always be something to do. More fun and satisfaction if you can do it yourself.
Old 01-18-2015, 12:04 AM   #4
bap

yes keep them coming,,,we love to see progress being made,,,,,from the ad i saw on it it looked very fixable..----i remember my first roof repair..on a fleetwood southwind went from fiberglass to rubber....i thought i would just spray on some flex seal and then repaint....boy was i wrong everywhere that flex seal hit the rubber the rubber would just peel back exposing more wood just kept getting bigger and bigger....i had called there company and they said there product was exactly what i needed for the job...i followed there instructions to a t.,,,but it just made my roof worse,,,,,i dont like hateing on a product or ccompany but i dont want anyone else falling into the trap i did,,,i might have well have thrown a hundred dollar bill off the bride into the ohio river,,,,,they wouldnt even stand by there product.....sorry for me hating on that....sounds like you done the right thing in the first place..by going to a local guy that you have done buisness with in the past...
Old 01-18-2015, 12:34 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bap View Post
yes keep them coming,,,we love to see progress being made,,,,,from the ad i saw on it it looked very fixable..----i remember my first roof repair..on a fleetwood southwind went from fiberglass to rubber....i thought i would just spray on some flex seal and then repaint....boy was i wrong everywhere that flex seal hit the rubber the rubber would just peel back exposing more wood just kept getting bigger and bigger....i had called there company and they said there product was exactly what i needed for the job...i followed there instructions to a t.,,,but it just made my roof worse,,,,,i dont like hateing on a product or ccompany but i dont want anyone else falling into the trap i did,,,i might have well have thrown a hundred dollar bill off the bride into the ohio river,,,,,they wouldnt even stand by there product.....sorry for me hating on that....sounds like you done the right thing in the first place..by going to a local guy that you have done buisness with in the past...
Good to know about the Flex Seal. I will remember that.

Thanks for the heads up.
Old 01-18-2015, 12:42 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bap View Post
from the ad i saw on it it looked very fixable...
Yes, it looked rougher in the ad than it actually is.
The roller paint, put on too lite, without good prep really made it look worse than it is
My friend who went with me to pick it up, is very Knowledgeable about RVs, he liked it, and said go for it, as it looked a lot better up close, and in real life than it did in the ad.
I have been shopping for an RV for a year. I passed on a bunch, before this one caught my eye. Good drive train, and a body just dirty enough to make it look worse than it is, and priced right, so I can't really get hurt.
Old 01-18-2015, 01:26 AM   #7
bap

thats what i thought myself,,,,i have been watching c,l for so long i guess i can see past the grime...lol...but that too alot of leg work also.....but i had a gut feeling that it was a goo MH just needed a good bath and a few odds an ends touched up..
if the DW and i were looking for MH,S we would have gone and checked it out and who knows u may have been looking at my build post...lol

but we love the little 16ftr TT,S that suits us and like i said we have 3 had but we had 4 and sold it, a wonderfull little shasta,,all original..it was perfect in everyway..
for some reason we like the odd ball ones the ones you dont see everyday,,fix em up and i dont think even think about selling one....i would love to set a few around the pond abd when the family comes down from michigan everyone could have there own campeer to staay in,,,,
anyway im happy u picked it up and its in the shape i thought it was in...
and keep the pics coming....i love before and after pics the most,,,so throw as many as ya can up ...as is and then we will all love the after....theres also alot of helpfull folks on here that throw out ideas that i know i wouldnt have thought about untill it was to late or wasate time on redoing....

well my eyes are starting to cross ,,i better hit the sake...catch up on ya soon goodnight buddy
Old 01-18-2015, 03:02 AM   #8
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I seem to recall it recently posted that it was not wise to use silicone for the roof even for a temporary repair. You may want to do a quick search on it before you go too far.

But also I do not even remember what type of roof it was.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 07:23 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
I seem to recall it recently posted that it was not wise to use silicone for the roof even for a temporary repair. You may want to do a quick search on it before you go too far.

But also I do not even remember what type of roof it was.
Yes..... silicone is a bad choice for any repair on a RV...even window seals. I know Jerry said it's temporary, but it will be hard to remove to get the right stuff in there to fix it. I would do the proper spot prep, the go with Eternabond tape. Later on you can go over then Eternabond and the whole roof with the correct roll-on sealant.

http://www.eternabond.com/

http://www.amazon.com/EternaBond-RSW.../dp/B002RSIK4G

I looked at a Chieftain down in southern Alabama before I bought my Flair...very cool looking RV's.
Old 01-18-2015, 07:50 AM   #10
bap

yep. entrenabond is good,,,and i use lapseal it sreads out and evens things up..works for me.....i knew the the nyquil was getting to me....i think i was drunk ....lol

but this summer i would just go ahead and put a new rubber roof on it,,,its not hard but recomend having a buddy and then jus go ahead and put new vent covers on also.....just remember where you cut out your old vents...lol
if you are planning on keeping her thats the best thing todo...in my honest openion..
in the past i have used enough lap seal and the white laytex roof coating to cover the cost of a new roof....that way your trouble free for years to come...
Old 01-18-2015, 11:08 AM   #11

Thanks for the advice on the Silicon. I was curious as to why, and it seems the biggest reason it Silicon is hard to completely remove.
It is not paintable.
So basically, it sticks to everything, and nothing sticks to it.
This i knew already, but I do see the point on an RV roof, where there is a lot of roof maintenance, and stuff needs to come off cleanly, be able to have some kind of coating over, and actually adhere to it.
IamJerryP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 09:26 PM   #12

Jerry, in the past I have used a wire wheel on a side grinder(like the $15 grinders from Harbor Freight). While being careful you can grind off the silicone and any other coatings to get a good surface to bond too...just don't get carried away and remember it will make a BIG mess.

http://www.harborfreight.com/heavy-d...der-91223.html
Old 01-18-2015, 09:38 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor7 View Post
Jerry, in the past I have used a wire wheel on a side grinder(like the $15 grinders from Harbor Freight). While being careful you can grind off the silicone and any other coatings to get a good surface to bond too...just don't get carried away and remember it will make a BIG mess.

Heavy Duty 4-1/2" Angle Grinder
Thanks, I have a Harbor Freight 1 mile from me.
Old 01-18-2015, 09:42 PM   #14

Spent part of today pushing buttons, and seeing what goes to what. pretty simple, nothing is weird or shard to figure.
Driving it the 133 miles home, I decided to not touch anything, just in case.
Up until the last couple of days, I did not think much about the electric steps.
My opinion has changed drastically, now they are a must have. As I am running errands, and jumping in ands out a lot, those electric steps, well, they awesome, and a must have