Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 08-04-2015, 08:24 AM   #1
Steering Stabilizers - Are they worth it?

I have a 1984 Vogue and wanted to get opinions on steering stabilizers.

I need a tighter steering feel on my rig. I checked all of the steering components and nothing is grossly bad.

So I started reading and it seems that highway wandering is common, even for rigs much younger than mine. Is that true?

So I started to read how Steering stabilizers fixed all that and more, but have also read remarks that someone installed one and it made no big difference or improvement.

What do you guys think? These things are off the charts expensive, especially the brackets. I am not willing to pay more than $500 (although I would do the install myself).

JSutton1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2015, 08:39 AM   #2
Workhorse Chassis Owner
How many miles? Two words... KING PINS....or Idler arm? Even my 2001 has sensitive steering and if I'm not paying attention the big girl wanders. Please keep in mind I'm very new to this...But have worked on old trucks forever...
Tried greasing it?

RVM #124
We're the new guys you see at Campground......
2001 Four Winds/ Thor P32 Hurricane 8.1L 31k miles
MarkEmerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 09:11 AM   #3
King pins seemed tight and were greased. idle arm seemed tight. 130xxx miles. also recently did all of the bushings.
Old 08-04-2015, 09:14 AM   #4
Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Check the alignment. If it is not toed in it will wander like crazy. Don't overdo the toe in as that will cause excessive tire wear.
"96" HR Navigator, 38' no slides, Cummins, Allison
next stop
t55watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 09:22 AM   #5
That may be something. I checked the alignment and my tires were both perfectly straight. Not toed in at all. So I guess when I get going the wheels could actually be toed out slightly.
Old 08-04-2015, 11:27 AM   #6
I am also interested in what folks think of these steering stabilizers.

Do you have one?

Were they worth the investment?
Old 08-08-2015, 06:57 PM   #7
Some other things come onto play. Years ago on our first trip out with our 88 32' Gulfstream we were pulling a 10" trailer with two big motorcycles and more in it. The rear axle is further forward on these units than most, the extra weight of the trailer made the front end light and we had several wheel shake/ shimmy incidents. I couldn't find anything mechanical wrong with the chassis and was going to go the stabilizer route. On our next big trip we did not take the trailer and bikes and the problem went away. Not long after that we sold the bikes and towed a Suzuki Samurai and had no problems either. We now have a battery bank (4x12volts or 8x6volts) in the open space between the bumper and radiator and don't even think about it anymore.
Richard "PONY", Virginia & Cleo "Cleopatra" the Cat..Restored 1988 Gulfstream HiRise 32' HiPo 460, 1974 Harley 74. Fulltimers since 2005.
Jpony56hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 08:11 AM   #8
how is ur tire wear,,,i know they look even but are they wearing the same ..
just a thought...

jeff n debbie, and our 4 4 legged family members
68 aristocrat,68 216 winnebago, ancient GTA,1963 airstream,
bap is offline   Reply With Quote